Bill Bell's 2nd for the NY Phil.

in that recording
Eric N.
lurker
lurker

Bill Bell's 2nd for the NY Phil.

Post by Eric N. »

Did Bill Bell have a regular 2nd tuba when the NY Philharmonic did things like Sacre, Fantastique, etc. If so who was he?
happyroman
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Bill Bell's 2nd for the NY Phil.

Post by happyroman »

I don't know if he had a regular. But Harvey Phillips said that one of the first concerts he played after arriving in NY (after Mr. Bell had arranged a scholarship for him at Julliard) was Symphonie Fantastique with the New York Phil. Mr. Phillips could have been playing first on that concert, I don't remember. What I do remember was that he said he was offered the Principal Tuba position with the LA Phil immediately after that concert (the LA music director was in the audience). So I imagine that Mr. Phillips did quite a lot of substitute playing in the Phil while he was at Julliard.

The other name that comes to mind is Joe Novotny. When I asked Mr. Phillips why he didn't get the New York Phil job when Mr. Bell retired, he said that Mr. Bell told him that the position was reserved for Joe.
Andy
Eric N.
lurker
lurker

Post by Eric N. »

Thanks. I guess it might either of them. I was recently listening to an NY Phil Symphony Fantastique with Mitropolous and was wondering about the 2nd tuba.
LoyalTubist
6 valves
6 valves

Post by LoyalTubist »

Before Harvey Phillips Abe Torchinsky played second but I'm not sure he was a regular.