P. G. ("Lofty") Smearer

in that recording
k9gardner
lurker
lurker

P. G. ("Lofty") Smearer

Post by k9gardner »

My granddad, P. G. ("Lofty") Smearer, played tuba and string bass from around the 20's through the 50's at least. He's mentioned in this very board as a member of Spike Jones's band in 1950, which also mentions that he was a known session man around the time (which I can corroborate). He also played on two early Bing Crosby recordings, Wrap Your Troubles in Dreams (And Dream Your Troubles Away), and One More Time, where he played in Gus Arnheim's orchestra (this is on the "In Hollywood" double CD).

I understand he played with a lot of different band leaders, perhaps Bix Beiderbecke, the Dorseys, and also played on the soundtrack of “The Thing From Another World” (Dimitri Tiomkin). According to family legend he also played in the U.S. Marines (or Naval) marching band under John Philip Sousa, but I have not been able to find dates for either that would corroborate that story (but I’d love to be able to).

I’m particularly interested in knowing what other tracks and/or what other bandleaders he might have played with over the years. I have no information particularly on his later years, though he died in 1976 and I understand he remained an active musician during that time (although perhaps simply as a member of the NBC orchestra, as I understand it).

Please post anything you might have, however small. I’d love to know more! Thanks.