Postby Norm Pearson » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:45 pm

Doug Tornquist and Jim Self

Norm
Norm Pearson
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Star Wars - The Force Awakens

Postby bort » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:04 am

John Williams again? (possibly the only thing that would get me through this movie...)
Willson 3050-RZ
Thein RCC
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Postby MikeMason » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:11 am

Music was awesome
Pensacola Symphony
Troy University-adjunct tuba instructor
Wisemann 900c/blokepiece imperial,profundo rim
Conn 2j -5valve with bloke piece imperial,profundo rim
Mack euph
Bach Strad 36b Tbone
MikeMason
5 valves
5 valves

Postby GregTuba79 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:29 pm

Norm Pearson wrote:Doug Tornquist and Jim Self

Norm

Was John Van Houten on another project?
GregTuba79

Postby hduong » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:50 pm

Just watched Star Wars last night, whoever was playing tuba was killing it. Also the french horn section was phenomenal
Wisemann 900
Kanstul 900
B&S PT-10P
Yamaha 842s
Kanstul 1585T
Yamaha YBL-612

too many guitars and basses
hduong
bugler
bugler

Postby Michael Bush » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:59 am

hduong wrote:Just watched Star Wars last night, whoever was playing tuba was killing it. Also the french horn section was phenomenal

The music was the most interesting thing about it. My ears pricked up in the bits and snippets they played waiting for it to start, and by the fourth or fifth gratuitous reference to the 1977 movie, listening to the soundtrack, especially for exposed tuba, was all that was keeping me from sleeping. My wife is not so interested in tuba stylings, and did sleep a good bit.
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Postby TubaBum » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:49 am

I believe Doug is one of main premium 1st call guys now in L.A.? He certainly can play. :tuba:
TubaBum

Postby Dylan King » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:50 am

Yes, Doug is a "first call" player now, from what I can tell. If Being "first call" means that music contractors and/or composers think to call you first.

I'd guess that Jim Self is still getting the most "first calls". But I don't expect anyone to surpass Tommy Johnson. It seemed like ALMOST everyone wanted him first while he was around.

Also, sometimes a player doesn't like working for a particular composer, and someone like Tommy Johnson or Jim Self had/have such good reputations that they could afford to turn down jobs, if it fits them. That gave other guys an opportunity to get into recording situations as a "second call" player. if a "second call" player impresses the contractor, composer, conductor, director, whatever--they will have a much better chance of getting that "first call" on their next score, etc.

If they mess up while the red light is on, well, I hope they play in a good quintet. Then again, most anyone who is playing in a Hollywood scoring situation is probably prepared to handle it.
Mira 291 CC
Yorkbrunner CC
Eastman CC
YFB-822 F
YFB-621 F
PT-10 F Clone
MackMini F
YBL622 B-TB
YSL891Z TB
Xeno Bb/C Trps
Taylor Bb/C Trp
Eclipse C Trp
Yamaha C Pic
Lawler C7 Trp
Osmun Corumpet
Carol Pocket Trp
Schagerl Gansch Horn
Monette Ajna Trumpet
Dylan King
YouTube Tubist
YouTube Tubist

Postby TubaBum » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:15 am

Dylan King wrote:Yes, Doug is a "first call" player now, from what I can tell. If Being "first call" means that music contractors and/or composers think to call you first.

I'd guess that Jim Self is still getting the most "first calls". But I don't expect anyone to surpass Tommy Johnson. It seemed like ALMOST everyone wanted him first while he was around.

Also, sometimes a player doesn't like working for a particular composer, and someone like Tommy Johnson or Jim Self had/have such good reputations that they could afford to turn down jobs, if it fits them. That gave other guys an opportunity to get into recording situations as a "second call" player. if a "second call" player impresses the contractor, composer, conductor, director, whatever--they will have a much better chance of getting that "first call" on their next score, etc.

If they mess up while the red light is on, well, I hope they play in a good quintet. Then again, most anyone who is playing in a Hollywood scoring situation is probably prepared to handle it.

Yeah I am sure they are. It's truly amazing how these guys can sight read some of this stuff so quickly, in horrendous keys and play it perfect the first time through. BTW, didn't John Van Houten do the Star Trek soundtrack? That has some amazing tuba in it.
TubaBum

Postby Dylan King » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:00 am

Film score music is almost always copied without key signatures, with every accidental written in, regardless of key. This helps with the sight reading.
Mira 291 CC
Yorkbrunner CC
Eastman CC
YFB-822 F
YFB-621 F
PT-10 F Clone
MackMini F
YBL622 B-TB
YSL891Z TB
Xeno Bb/C Trps
Taylor Bb/C Trp
Eclipse C Trp
Yamaha C Pic
Lawler C7 Trp
Osmun Corumpet
Carol Pocket Trp
Schagerl Gansch Horn
Monette Ajna Trumpet
Dylan King
YouTube Tubist
YouTube Tubist

Postby TubaBum » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:35 am

Dylan King wrote:Film score music is almost always copied without key signatures, with every accidental written in, regardless of key. This helps with the sight reading.

Is it default to C then unless otherwise accidentalized? :shock: :lol:
TubaBum

Postby Dylan King » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:55 am

Yes. Most scores will not have any key written at the beginning of the staff. If you have a good enough understanding of theory, you should be able to tell what key it is in from the accidentals, which get written in before every note.
Mira 291 CC
Yorkbrunner CC
Eastman CC
YFB-822 F
YFB-621 F
PT-10 F Clone
MackMini F
YBL622 B-TB
YSL891Z TB
Xeno Bb/C Trps
Taylor Bb/C Trp
Eclipse C Trp
Yamaha C Pic
Lawler C7 Trp
Osmun Corumpet
Carol Pocket Trp
Schagerl Gansch Horn
Monette Ajna Trumpet
Dylan King
YouTube Tubist
YouTube Tubist

Postby TubaBum » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:49 pm

Dylan King wrote:Yes. Most scores will not have any key written at the beginning of the staff. If you have a good enough understanding of theory, you should be able to tell what key it is in from the accidentals, which get written in before every note.

Yeah you can hear so many key changes in Star Wars it's amazing. Another one was Jurassic Park...main theme played in how many different keys? :mrgreen:
TubaBum

Return to Who played tuba ...