Roger Bobo Bookmark and Share

in that recording

Roger Bobo

Postby Peach » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:56 pm

Two questions:
1. Did Mr Bobo exclusively use Miraphone 184 and 186's as Contrabass tubas in Orchestra through his career?
2. Apart from the Planets(!) could you name a few recordings that show off Mr Bobo at his best in the Orchestra.

Thanks!
Peach
Peach
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Roger Bobo

Postby Peach » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:13 pm

Quick look on UK iTunes offers slim pickings:
Prok 5/Previn
Nielsen 4/Mehta
Tchaik 6/Giulini

And not a lot else...
Peach
Peach
4 valves
4 valves

Postby Norm Pearson » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:43 pm

He played a Mirafone 188 prototype around 1979-80 and a production 188 in starting in 1981

Norm Pearson
Norm Pearson
pro musician
pro musician

Postby Peach » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:56 pm

Norm Pearson wrote:He played a Mirafone 188 prototype around 1979-80 and a production 188 in starting in 1981

Norm Pearson

Great, thank you.
Thereafter did he tend to use the slightly bigger equipment? I know he had the Imperial Eb bell put on (one of?) his 184's.

Any must-have recordings at all?

Thanks again
Peach
Peach
4 valves
4 valves

Postby barry grrr-ero » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:41 am

Roger Bobo was never a 6/4 size player, if that's what you mean. I think the Nielen 4th with Mehta (Decca) shows him off to great effect. I haven't heard Bobo in Bruckner, but I could imagine him sounding awesome in Bruckner 4.

I could be wrong, but I think Bobo plays on many of the early Bernard Haitink/Amsterdam Concertgebouw Mahler recordings on Philips. If so, try Haitink's first Mahler 2 that he did. It's great. Mahler 7 too - the first one.

https://www.amazon.com/Eloq-Nielsen-Sym ... lsen+mehta
barry grrr-ero
3 valves
3 valves

Postby daktx2 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:42 pm

His playing on Zubin Mehta's Tchaikovsky cycle is just awesome. Miraphone Power Sound!
And as a bonus, 1812 overture and March Slav are in this set as filler.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000E0LB90

And a fun one of him in the 80s (on the 188) is the DG Rhapsody in Blue / Symphonic Dances from West Side Story with Bernstein at the piano.
https://www.amazon.com/Gershwin-Rhapsody-Prelude-Bernstein-Symphonic/dp/B003L6WK62

Happy listening!
GDR PT-5
daktx2
bugler
bugler

Postby Peach » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:37 am

barry grrr-ero wrote:Roger Bobo was never a 6/4 size player, if that's what you mean. I think the Nielen 4th with Mehta (Decca) shows him off to great effect. I haven't heard Bobo in Bruckner, but I could imagine him sounding awesome in Bruckner 4.

I could be wrong, but I think Bobo plays on many of the early Bernard Haitink/Amsterdam Concertgebouw Mahler recordings on Philips. If so, try Haitink's first Mahler 2 that he did. It's great. Mahler 7 too - the first one.

https://www.amazon.com/Eloq-Nielsen-Sym ... lsen+mehta" target="_blank

Thanks for these links.
No, I knew Mr Bobo never went 6/4. I was asking whether he tended toward the 188 once that was an option.

I'd love to hear his thoughts though on choice of tuba. I would guess he at least tried 6/4 horns as they gained in popularity but obviously not the sonic route he looked for.
Peach
Peach
4 valves
4 valves

Postby bloke » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:15 am

I believe that the clarity and audibility of his playing in the few orchestral recordings that we seem to have available to us - with the conservative-size equipment he chose to use - speaks volumes.

I've been trying to learn from his teaching-by-example. I believe some others (including some of my betters) are as well.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby kathott » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:23 am

I heard Mr. Bobo live on a few occasions: with LA, LA on tour, in recital, and in the single lesson I had with him. I enjoy the early LA recordings - some classic sounds.
In addition to some of those mentioned, my favorites include Arcana, Ives No.1 and the Wagner sessions with Leinsdorf.
Last edited by kathott on Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Huttl CC six valve (with special mute springboard)
kathott
bugler
bugler

Postby poomshanka » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:38 am

kathott wrote:Wagner sessions with Leinsdorf.

Unless I'm mistaken, the Wagner/Leinsdorf recording was Tommy Johnson playing on his Mirafone 190CC. I used to have a recording of it somewhere, but can't seem to find it. I might be able to tell if I listened to it. Tommy got a unique sound on his 190CC that's hard to mistake for anything else.

...Dave
Dave Amason
poomshanka
4 valves
4 valves

Postby Mike-Johnson-Custom » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:45 am

Peach,
On one of the masterclasses Fletch gave when I was a student. He commented that Roger was the most exciting Tuba player in the business at the time!
Mike Johnson Custom
http://m-j-c.co.uk
phone:
+44 161 298 5838
Mike-Johnson-Custom
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Postby Michael Bush » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:46 pm

daktx2 wrote:His playing on Zubin Mehta's Tchaikovsky cycle is just awesome. Miraphone Power Sound!

I went straight to the fourth symphony. The first movement is breathtaking. The last four notes of the opening fanfare let you know what is to come. Thanks.
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Postby tuben » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:12 pm

poomshanka wrote:
kathott wrote:Wagner sessions with Leinsdorf.

Unless I'm mistaken, the Wagner/Leinsdorf recording was Tommy Johnson playing on his Mirafone 190CC. I used to have a recording of it somewhere, but can't seem to find it. I might be able to tell if I listened to it. Tommy got a unique sound on his 190CC that's hard to mistake for anything else.

...Dave

That's what I was once told.

You should all find the Rite of Spring recording with Mehta & LAPO. Bobo and Johnson (I presume) are stunning. Perfect in every sense, and WILD HOT when called for.

This recording is more impressive for me than the Planets recording.
tuben
Professional tuba player / Volunteer Village Idiot
Professional tuba player / Volunteer Village Idiot

Postby doublebuzzing » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:40 pm

daktx2 wrote:His playing on Zubin Mehta's Tchaikovsky cycle is just awesome. Miraphone Power Sound!

And a fun one of him in the 80s (on the 188) is the DG Rhapsody in Blue / Symphonic Dances from West Side Story with Bernstein at the piano.
https://www.amazon.com/Gershwin-Rhapsody-Prelude-Bernstein-Symphonic/dp/B003L6WK62

Happy listening!

While I agree the tuba playing on the Tchaikovsky symphonies with Mehta is nice, the overall recordings themselves are some of the most underwhelming performances I've ever heard from a group of this stature. No excitement in Tchaikovsky! They are just going through the motions. Makes no sense. Having this be my first set of Tchaikovsky symphonies almost put me off to Tchaikovsky entirely. Very surprising from this group because at that time they made some extraordinary recordings such as the Mahler 3, 5, Strauss, etc.
doublebuzzing
3 valves
3 valves

Postby bloke » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:52 pm

I was lucky enough to have heard the LAPO low brass section play excerpts in Memphis, Tennessee (when they were on tour in the very early 1980's).

Mr. Bobo only brought his B&S "Symphonie Modell" F tuba (the one he used on the "Tonight Show" appearances) to that demonstration. One piece they demonstrated was the opening to the Meistersinger Prelude (to the big G major cadence). It was exquisite, and Mr. Bobo did not "plow the ground", as I suspect he never did.

bloke "with little room for valid debate, the greatest tuba player the world has ever known"
bloke

Postby doublebuzzing » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:41 am

Here is Roger playing probably that B&S F and sounding like only he does: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC4DMdULlcc
doublebuzzing
3 valves
3 valves

Postby Norm Pearson » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:00 am

Roger did not get his B&S f tuba until the summer of 1980 after he wa a judge at the Markneukirchen Competition. It was probably his Mirafone 180 f tuba with a Besson bell or even his 184 CC wth a Besson bell.
Norm
Norm Pearson
pro musician
pro musician

Postby barry grrr-ero » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:08 pm

I know from second hand information that Roger Bobo equated the increase in cases of focal-dystonia, to the increase in usage of 6/4 size York copies. Again, that's second hand info, so it might not be quite right.
barry grrr-ero
3 valves
3 valves

Postby Iliotuba » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:17 am

If Wikipaedia is correct, Mr. Bobo played for two years in the Concertgebouw Orchestra. Haitink made very few recordings during this period. It appears that the only work with tuba during this period was the Mahler 1st symphony.
Iliotuba
lurker
lurker

Postby Iliotuba » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:24 am

Eugen Jochum was also a conductor of the Concertgebouw Orchestra during Mr. Bobo's time there. Mr. Bobo may be on their 1964 recording of Bruckner's 5th Symphony for Philips (now Decca)
Iliotuba
lurker
lurker

Next

Return to Who played tuba ...