Roger Bobo Bookmark and Share

in that recording

Re: Roger Bobo

Postby timayer » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:15 pm

If I sounded like that on a 4/4, I wouldn't play anything bigger either.
timayer
bugler
bugler

Postby barry grrr-ero » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:43 pm

Thank you for straightening me out on that topic. I'm wondering if Donald Blakeslee was the tuba player I was hearing on those recordings, or if he came on-board later.
barry grrr-ero
3 valves
3 valves

Postby Terraplane8Bob » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:47 pm

I had the pleasure of being a classmate of Roger Bobo when I attended the Eastman School of Music in 1956-1961. It was amazing to me that a Freshman in our class was the tubist with The Rochester Philharmonic, but such was the talent of this amazing guy. Technically, Roger was a student of my instructor at ESM, Donald Knaub, who was the bass trombonist of the Philharmonic at the time. Many times during our lessons, Don would make reference to Roger and to the incredible talent he was. I have a reel-to-reel tape recording of Roger's concerto performance to earn the "Performer's Certificate" from ESM. He played the Vaughan Williams tuba concerto. For years I would play that tape to other musicians asking them to identify the instrument that was playing. Almost no one was able to do so because of the incredible sound and technical mastery that he managed to pull out of the tuba. Such power, such focus, such finesse ---- seemingly all without precedent. I remember when his beloved Heissner [sp.?] tuba literally wore out from use and he became the American "rep" for Mirafone. I bought a Mirafone "Bass Trumpet" from him [a tenor horn identical to the one that the "Lonely Boy" of the Mnozil Brass uses] and enjoyed it for years. It is still in my possession although I specialize on bass trombone and rarely play it. At one point, Roger showed up with a contrabass trombone that Mirafone made up for him. I recall him sitting in a concert with the ESM Symphony Band using that contrabass trombone which programmed a Clifton Williams piece, the title of which escapes me at the moment, and covering the entire ensemble with a couple of exposed pedal notes. Truly unbelieveable ! The next I heard of his use of that instrument was in the famous Leinsdorf/Wagner album on Capitol Records. Any accolades that you may have heard about Roger Bobo are well deserved !
Terraplane8Bob
lurker
lurker

Postby 58mark » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:11 pm

He might have played a miraphone at some point, but now he's playing this, and it sounds amazing

http://news.schagerl.com/index.php?cont ... anguage=en
Mark
58mark
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby The Big Ben » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:09 pm

Mr. Bobo sounded badass doing C of V on Carson. You gear guys will have to say what instrument he's playing.

https://youtu.be/eyJkyi0BKPk
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bisontuba » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:14 am

The Big Ben wrote:Mr. Bobo sounded badass doing C of V on Carson. You gear guys will have to say what instrument he's playing.

https://youtu.be/eyJkyi0BKPk" target="_blank

B&S Symphonie F tuba....
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Casca Grossa » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:42 pm

I think that B&S is the same one that the valve section came apart while I saw him perform the RVW, Carnival, and an orginal work in NJ back in the 80's He still sounded incredible playing while holding the horn together with one hand.
Mack-a-clone 186 "Chairman Mao"
Blokepiece Imperial #2 Fair Dinkum Profundo Rim
Why have 3 valves when you can have 6 and a main tuning slide kicker???
Casca Grossa
3 valves
3 valves

Postby Alex C » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:08 am

My favorite Bobo recording was a Rite of Spring album, don't know the conductor. The entire performance is excellent but the F to high-flat quarter notes in the "Glorification of the Chosen One," are monumental. It is the most exciting tuba playing I can remember hearing. Any description I could write would fall far short.

Add his solo albums, which were both technical and musical landmarks of the day, to his orchestral recordings, and you have an unmatched career as a tubists. Take nothing away from any other great tubists, Bobo was singular.
City Intonation Inspector - Dallas Texas
"Holding the Bordognian Fabric of the Universe together through better pitch, one note at a time."

Practicing results in increased atmospheric CO2 thus causing global warming.
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Postby Alex C » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:11 am

58mark wrote:He might have played a miraphone at some point, but now he's playing this, and it sounds amazing

http://news.schagerl.com/index.php?cont ... anguage=en" target="_blank

Bobo is playing a 3-valve bass trumpet?
City Intonation Inspector - Dallas Texas
"Holding the Bordognian Fabric of the Universe together through better pitch, one note at a time."

Practicing results in increased atmospheric CO2 thus causing global warming.
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Postby 58mark » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:25 am

Nah, that was a reply about the equipment the Mnozil brass player was using
Mark
58mark
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby tuben » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:19 am

Alex C wrote:My favorite Bobo recording was a Rite of Spring album, don't know the conductor. The entire performance is excellent but the F to high-flat quarter notes in the "Glorification of the Chosen One," are monumental. It is the most exciting tuba playing I can remember hearing. Any description I could write would fall far short.

Too right! My understanding is that it was Bobo and Johnson and to my tastes, this recording is even MORE impressive than the Planets. Both conducted by Zubin Mehta and available on spotify/googleplay/etc.
tuben
Professional tuba player / Volunteer Village Idiot
Professional tuba player / Volunteer Village Idiot

Postby poomshanka » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:58 pm

If you'd dip your toe in the soundtrack pool, Roger played principal on Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Tommy played a few dates, but it was mostly Roger. Some great stuff there.
Dave Amason
poomshanka
4 valves
4 valves

Previous

Return to Who played tuba ...