Solti's Bruckner Sin_e Nr.8 Bookmark and Share

in that recording

Solti's Bruckner Sin_e Nr.8

Postby mandrake » Sun May 01, 2005 11:05 pm

Is it Jacobs? This interpretation (my fifth variation) is both good and bad. The good part is that the tuba is very audible. The bad news is everything else (even Boulez doesn't sap out the emotion from the very end like Solti manages to do!)
mandrake

re: Solti's Bruckner Sin_e Nr.8

Postby tubafrank » Sun May 01, 2005 11:34 pm

Pokorny without a doubt. Check out this book -> Arnold Jacobs: Song and Wind. It has the complete (??) discography of Jacobs with various ensembles he played with.

Frank
tubafrank
lurker
lurker

Postby brianf » Mon May 02, 2005 8:43 am

The only recording of Bruckner 8 that Mr Jacobs did was with Barenboim in 1980.
Brian Frederiksen
WindSong Press
PO Box 146
Gurnee, Illinois 60031
Phone 847 223-4586
http://www.windsongpress.com
brianf@windsongpress.com
brianf
4 valves
4 valves

Postby mandrake » Wed May 04, 2005 10:58 pm

I guess I assumed that the Bruckner discs were recorded at about the same time as some of the Mahler ones (which were in the early 70's).

Plus, the tubaist has a few relativley open spots where I can hear the same ugly style as on a few of the Arnold Jacobs recordings I have.

Disclaimer: I'm not disrespecting Arnold Jacobs. I have much respect for him and Eugene Pokornoy both - it doesn't mean that I have to enjoy their playing.
mandrake

Postby Mike » Thu May 05, 2005 1:03 pm

It doesn't mean you have to state your opinion in such a demeaning way either.
Mike
pro musician
pro musician

Postby mandrake » Fri May 06, 2005 10:51 pm

Mike wrote:It doesn't mean you have to state your opinion in such a demeaning way either.

That's fair enough, and I think an apology is in order. This forum is not well-suited to that language, which has its place (elsewhere). More appropriate words could easily have been found, and for not using them I am sorry.
mandrake

Return to Who played tuba ...