Columbia Symphony Orchestra

in that recording
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Columbia Symphony Orchestra

Post by Ace »

The Los Angeles Columbia Symphony was formed in 1957 when Walter had retired from the NYC scene. He was asked to do extensive recording in the new and exciting stereo mode. "----a new Columbia Symphony Orchestra, chosen specifically by and for Bruno Walter. This group was an ensemble of 50 to 70 members, assembled from the best freelance musicians on the West Coast, many of whom typically never took on orchestral work, but made the exception to work with Bruno Walter. It was one of the best recording orchestras ever assembled in the USA."

Ace
Iliotuba
lurker
lurker

Post by Iliotuba »

Actually the west coast version was actually made up of a lot of L.A. Philharmonic musicians. If you look at the various articles about the orchestra, the core was the L.A. Philharmonic. Sinclair Lott was principal horn and Robert Marsteller was principal trombone. I've never seen any reference to who was the tuba player. Perhaps Norm Pearson of the Philharmonic would know.
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ace »

Iliotuba wrote:Actually the west coast version was actually made up of a lot of L.A. Philharmonic musicians. If you look at the various articles about the orchestra, the core was the L.A. Philharmonic. Sinclair Lott was principal horn and Robert Marsteller was principal trombone. I've never seen any reference to who was the tuba player. Perhaps Norm Pearson of the Philharmonic would know.
Thanks for your post. Lott and Marsteller were certainly LA Phil principals. As you suggest, I did look at articles about the orchestra, and that produced the quotation in my post. It contradicts what you say about the core of the west coast version of the Columbia Symphony. Frankly, I don't much care about the issue as long as the Columbia Symphony produced great recordings.

Ace