Troy University-adjunct tuba instructor
Yamaha yfb621 with 16’’ bell,with blokepiece symphony
Eastman 6/4 with blokepiece symphony/profundo
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Re: It was Carol...

Post by toobagrowl »

The valve smacking sound is distracting....
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hup_d_dup »

I see no stand or music . . . heck of a long and complex piece to memorize.

Impressive performance.

Hup
Do you really need Facebook?
doublebuzzing
3 valves
3 valves

Post by doublebuzzing »

I'm never overly impressed by the ability to memorize pieces. I have seen both Phil Smith and Charlie Schlueter play the Haydn trumpet concerto (rather easy piece to memorize). Both of them had the music in front of them and sounded better than any player I've seen play it on memory.
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hup_d_dup »

Wow. Tough crowd.

The valve noise was probably emphasized by mic placement. I doubt it would have been as distracting live at the venue.
doublebuzzing wrote:I'm never overly impressed by the ability to memorize pieces.
I'm not absolutely sure the piece was memorized . . . I just didn't see any sheet music. Carol's performance was impressive on its own merits, memorized or not. If a different person at a different time played a different piece on a different instrument, it doesn't have much relevance, memorized or not.

Hup
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

Well executed. I liked it.

I've have never seen that sort of belt-and-socket arrangement for holding a tuba. It looks to be easier to deal with than some sort of shoulder/back strap. Anyone know if it is available commercially?
ppalan
3 valves
3 valves

Post by ppalan »

The Big Ben wrote:I've have never seen that sort of belt-and-socket arrangement for holding a tuba. It looks to be easier to deal with than some sort of shoulder/back strap. Anyone know if it is available commercially?
It is the same one (or at least similar to the belt) used by Willfried Brandstötter from Mnozil Brass. Here is a link to the only place I've seen that provides them. I have no idea of cost since they are all custom made.
https://tubtub.jimdo.com/deutsch/tubagurt/

Pete
ppalan
Mirafone186 CC 4v
Yamaha Eb 321
Wessex "Berg" F
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

Amazing to see the smack about her performance, especially on the YouTube comments. I will start by saying that choice of horn is one of my very least favorite solo instruments. Despite that potential impediment this was an incredible live performance from both a technical and artistic standpoint. I doubt most “tuba jocks” could come anywhere close. If someone changed the description to show a big name of yesteryear on a B&S F, everyone would be fawning over the exact same recording.
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hup_d_dup »

Sometime after my last post in January I asked Carol if the piece was memorized, as seems to be apparent in the video. She said yes, she likes to memorize because it allows her "to be in the moment."

Hup
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

MartyNeilan wrote:Amazing to see the smack about her performance, especially on the YouTube comments. I will start by saying that choice of horn is one of my very least favorite solo instruments. Despite that potential impediment this was an incredible live performance from both a technical and artistic standpoint. I doubt most “tuba jocks” could come anywhere close. If someone changed the description to show a big name of yesteryear on a B&S F, everyone would be fawning over the exact same recording.
When this post came up on the TNFJ Playlist, I went back and listened again. Very nice! Who has or hasn't played this also is simply not germaine to the discussion. It was a great performance.

I did look at the YouTube comments. There are always a few YouTube Warriors who are "critics without portfolio" and must comment. I'd rather consider a comment a little further down the page. A former Army tubist developed a lung condition and had to stop playing. It was terminal but he was lucky and received a lung transplant and is able to play again. Quoting: "Last year I was blessed to have had a double lung transplant and am currently teaching my new lungs (and embouchure) how to play again. I listen to Carols' you tube performances for inspiration. There are others I listen to as well, but Carols' tone is one I endeavor to emulate. Much love and thanks."

Good enough to do that? Good enough for me.