Jarvi/Cincy Pictures

in that recording
8vb
lurker
lurker

Jarvi/Cincy Pictures

Post by 8vb »

2008 recording of Pictures, subject conductor and group.

I know Mr. Olka can be heard on the Prokofiev 5/Kije around this time. Anyone know what else?
alazzeri
bugler
bugler

Re: Jarvi/Cincy Pictures

Post by alazzeri »

Tough one, 8vb. There were a lot of different players in at that time, in addition to Chris - Tony Kniffen, Dave Kirk, Pete Link, Carson McTeer. Pete and Carson were the primary ones and from what I remember, that was right around the time when Pete left for Japan and Carson came to town. Odds are it was Carson.
Pete Link
bugler
bugler

Post by Pete Link »

Hi Gents,

I indeed had the privalege of playing on that recording. The Alexander F used on Bydlo was borrowed from Floyd Cooley. A wondeful instrument and(for better or for worse) we got it one take...thank god. The Nirschl I bought from Floyd upon his retirement with the SFSO and still own today.

The highlight for me was listening to Mark Ridenour's (Chicago Symphony) playing principal trumpet. What a sound! Sound, phrasing and presence all top notch. The Cincinati Symphony put out several fantastic recordings on the Telarc label.

Incidentally, I was later informed that recoding won a Grammy that year.

Cheers, Pete
doublebuzzing
3 valves
3 valves

Post by doublebuzzing »

Pete Link wrote:Hi Gents,

I indeed had the privalege of playing on that recording. The Alexander F used on Bydlo was borrowed from Floyd Cooley. A wondeful instrument and(for better or for worse) we got it one take...thank god. The Nirschl I bought from Floyd upon his retirement with the SFSO and still own today.

The highlight for me was listening to Mark Ridenour's (Chicago Symphony) playing principal trumpet. What a sound! Sound, phrasing and presence all top notch. The Cincinati Symphony put out several fantastic recordings on the Telarc label.

Incidentally, I was later informed that recoding won a Grammy that year.

Cheers, Pete
Yes, they sure did put out some great recordings. They did many of the Bruckner Symphonies with Telarc and their recording of 8 and 9 is stunning in the precision and homogeneity of brass playing. Philip Collins was their Principal Trumpet for many years and his tone was absolutely beautiful on everything.