Rhapsody in Blue (1945)

in that recording
b.williams
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Rhapsody in Blue (1945)

Post by b.williams »

Martin b/c of the mouthpiece bits.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Miraphone 191
Yamaha YBL-613HS Bass Trombone
Steve Marcus
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Steve Marcus »

This is an interesting question because the film uses the original Grofé orchestration for the Whiteman band, which has a much more prominent tuba part than Grofé’s later orchestration for full symphony orchestra.

Many of us have played the latter; it would be very enjoyable to play the version for the Whiteman band (which is still different from a “bandstration” for concert band). All it takes is a conductor who will step outside the box occasionally—or an ensemble that specializes in original instrumentations from the 1920’s/1930’s.
Steve Marcus
http://www.facebook.com/steve.marcus.88
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
David A. Goldfarb
bugler
bugler

Post by David A. Goldfarb »

I saw this clip today and the Martin also caught my eye. Anyone know who the performer was in 1945 (after the death of Min Leibrook in 1943)?

I also now realize that I went to graduate school (1990s) in the building that originally housed Aeolian Hall, where the Rhapsody in Blue debut took place in 1924 (thinking back, maybe there was a plaque somewhere about this), and where this scene was filmed in 1945. My department was actually next door on the 40th floor of the Grace Building, and the interior of the old Aeolian Hall was thoroughly modernized by the time it became the Graduate Center of the City University of New York. The CUNY Graduate Center has since moved to the former B. Altman building on 34th St. and 5th Ave., and the former Aeolian building is now occupied by the SUNY College of Optometry.
twitter: @GoldfarbTbone
1958 BBb Martin "Mammoth"
& a handful of 'bones