World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor

in that recording
tubamatt97
lurker
lurker

World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor

Post by tubamatt97 »

Some amazing low brass playing in this soundtrack - any idea who played tuba? All I can find is that the Northwest Sinfonia possibly did the recording, so likely a player around Seattle? (Chris Olka??)
Chris Olka
pro musician
pro musician

Re: World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor

Post by Chris Olka »

Sounds familiar. I did 100s of video games for all of the gaming studios in Washington...some of the best parts I’ve ever gotten to play. Tuba and cimbasso from 1999-2016. Movies, TV, theme park rides, you name it. After a few years they started writing parts specifically for me...biggest mistake I ever made! I’d show up hoping for an easy session...then open the book and start counting ledger lines below the staff...oops!
Chris Olka
Cincinnati Symphony
poomshanka
4 valves
4 valves

Post by poomshanka »

Chris Olka wrote:Sounds familiar. I did 100s of video games for all of the gaming studios in Washington...some of the best parts I’ve ever gotten to play. Tuba and cimbasso from 1999-2016. Movies, TV, theme park rides, you name it. After a few years they started writing parts specifically for me...biggest mistake I ever made! I’d show up hoping for an easy session...then open the book and start counting ledger lines below the staff...oops!
Tuba section sounded great on the Medal of Honor stuff, Chris. Who was your standmate for those recordings?

Some of the nicest recorded tuba sound I've ever heard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2B-zWwTcgs" target="_blank

Hopefully you got paid by the ledger line! ;-)
Dave Amason
Chris Olka
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Chris Olka »

Ellis Wean in the early days. It was great playing with him. Later on it was whoever my top student was. Or occasionally we’d just go back and do another pass up or down the octave. Like a string-double.
Chris Olka
Cincinnati Symphony
poomshanka
4 valves
4 valves

Post by poomshanka »

Chris Olka wrote:Ellis Wean in the early days. It was great playing with him. Later on it was whoever my top student was. Or occasionally we’d just go back and do another pass up or down the octave. Like a string-double.
Thanx for the insight. Yes, I can imagine playing with Ellis must've been an experience. Did any particular scores stand out to you over the years that might be fun to listen to, tuba- or other-wise?
Dave Amason
BrassenInvokations
lurker
lurker

Post by BrassenInvokations »

poomshanka wrote:
Tuba section sounded great on the Medal of Honor stuff, Chris. Who was your standmate for those recordings?

Some of the nicest recorded tuba sound I've ever heard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2B-zWwTcgs" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

Hopefully you got paid by the ledger line! ;-)
MOH: Frontline honestly has some of the best scoring in any video game period. The low brass playing is absolutely phenomenal, not overproduced in the slightest, just raw walls of heavy sonics. Didn't have any idea Chris was the one playing! I think the MOH soundtrack (along with the LOTR) were what made me want to play tuba when I first heard them as a kid.

You just have to hear this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKRxg4VbwD4&t=105
William Perez
lurker
lurker

Post by William Perez »

Thank you so much for sharing.