Cleveland Orchestra

in that recording
Bob Kolada
6 valves
6 valves

Cleveland Orchestra

Post by Bob Kolada »

Channel 11 here in Chicago showed Cleveland playing the Strauss Symphony Fantastic with some good shots of Yasuhito Sugiyama playing a large rotary Bb. Anyone know what he played/plays?
happyroman
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Cleveland Orchestra

Post by happyroman »

Most likely it was a Bohland & Fuchs (B&F) BBb Tuba that he got at Walter Nirschl's shop.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andy
Mark

Post by Mark »

Bob Kolada wrote:Channel 11 here in Chicago showed Cleveland playing the Strauss Symphony Fantastic with some good shots of Yasuhito Sugiyama playing a large rotary Bb. Anyone know what he played/plays?
I assume you mean Die Frau Ohne Schatten. The concert can be viewed here: http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/the-cleve ... ullepisode.
Bob Kolada
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Bob Kolada »

Probably...?

It showed the name in English, I only caught it briefly, and immediately started to confuse the name with the Berlioz piece. :D

The ending was really quite magical!
happyroman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by happyroman »

The link also mentions a work titled Symphonic Fantasy by Richard Strauss. Regardless, I am preetty sure the BBb tuba is the one picyured above.

There are photos of Mr. Sugiyama holding the tuba, as well as his Nirschl rotary valve F Tuba. I tried to post them but they were too large.
Andy
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

happyroman wrote:There are photos of Mr. Sugiyama holding the tuba, as well as his Nirschl rotary valve F Tuba. I tried to post them but they were too large.
Right-click on the photo and "open with" Paint. Then you can reduce the size by enough percentage to get under the pixel limit for posting.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
happyroman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by happyroman »

Here are the photos of the F and BBb tubas from Walter Nirschl's shop.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andy
happyroman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by happyroman »

iiipopes wrote:
happyroman wrote:There are photos of Mr. Sugiyama holding the tuba, as well as his Nirschl rotary valve F Tuba. I tried to post them but they were too large.
Right-click on the photo and "open with" Paint. Then you can reduce the size by enough percentage to get under the pixel limit for posting.
Thanks! I was able to resize and posted them above.
Andy
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

The suite from R. Strauss' Wagnerian opera "Die Frau ohne Schatten", also carries the title "Symphonic Fantasy". The suite isn't anywhere the 'blow' that the full opera is. In other words, there's tons of low brass throughout the opera.