Can. Brass The Mozart Album, what tuba?

in that recording
Norm in Bellevue
bugler
bugler

Can. Brass The Mozart Album, what tuba?

Post by Norm in Bellevue »

I've recently been listening to the above CD recorded in 1986-88. Chuck Daellenbach's tuba sound seems to have more "core" to it than more recent recordings. Anyone have an idea what instrument he was playing back then?
Miraphone 188
Parke Ofenloch
Continental Divide Tuba Society
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Can. Brass The Mozart Album, what tuba?

Post by Bill Troiano »

It could be a 184 CC. He eventually went to the Yamaha 621CC.
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

^ I never knew Chuck D used a Miraphone-anything with Can. Brass? I thought he used a small Yamaha 621 CC, a 3/4 Schilke CC (similar to the Yammy 3/4 CC), a Yammy 4/4 CC (like a 4v version of the YCB-822?), Getzen G-50, the carbon-fiber bell 4/4 CC, and whatever Conn-Selmer CC he is using now.

I'm thinking he used the small Yammy or Schilke during the 80s, as video on YT seems to confirm it.
Definitely a smaller, raspier type sound. He started using the larger 4/4 models in the 90s.
EdFirth
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EdFirth »

I don't remember if it was this particular album but I do remember an album cover where he had a Conn 2J.Ed
The Singing Whale
EdFirth
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EdFirth »

I found their site, the Mozart album has a French horn on the cover so who knows? Mabye ask Chuck. I did also come across the album with the 2J on the cover and it's called Rag Mo Taz, from 1973. It's the first of their stuff I had ever heard and I remember being very impressed with Chuck. I ran into them unexpectedly when they came to the "Rat" for a pre concert clinic for the college program folks. Chuck happened to be standing behind me in line at the cafeteria and we chatted a bit and they invited me to have lunch with them.I don't think there are five nicer guys on the planet. Chuck was curious about my York Master Model so I brought it to the big rehearsal room where they were doing their clinic and promptly got called to the phone in our locker room (next door) When I came back they had started and he was playing my horn. He got a gorgeous sound out of it then switched to his Yamaha C and just blew me away. Their show that night was fantastic and with all the dancing he had to do I can see why he opted for the shrimp C's.Nobody's getting any younger. The site is just the Canadian Brass site and it lists all of their recordings. If you ever get a chance to hear them, they're GREAT. Ed
The Singing Whale
Norm in Bellevue
bugler
bugler

Post by Norm in Bellevue »

During the many years I lived in or near Seattle, I heard them twice. They were fabulous! But I don't expect they'll be performing in Helena, MT anytime soon.
Miraphone 188
Parke Ofenloch
Continental Divide Tuba Society
Peach
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Peach »

https://youtu.be/5TZkOfNeE3A" target="_blank
In 1977 Mr D was using what LOOKS like a 184.
Peach