Anyone got a video of ...

in that recording
Adams41
lurker
lurker

Anyone got a video of ...

Post by Adams41 »

I want to hear a tuba ( preferably Eb) playing the cornet solo share my yoke as I have to play it but can’t find anyone on tuba playing it.
Adams41
lurker
lurker

Re: Anyone got a video of ...

Post by Adams41 »

the elephant wrote:Why not look for it on the correct instrument? Finding some tuba player who has even heard of this solo will be tough. Why do you have to hear it on a tuba to see how it goes? And do you not have the sheet music?

Here is an excellent performance that is a great guide to how this needs to be played. It is on (you guessed it) cornet. Just give YouTube a quick search.

Good luck.

I wanted to hear it on tuba so I could get the correct pitch and yes I have sheet music but it’s still cornet sheet music and isn’t a cornet Bb I and Eb that’s why I want to hear a tuba play it
Rick F
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Rick F »

Hans Gansch played it beautifully!

Here's a link—not of tuba but euphonium. Very nicely played as well (although I'm not a big fan of synthesized strings).

Share My Yoke - Joy Webb, arr. Ivor Bosanko
Miraphone 5050 - Warburton mpc (Brandon Jones)
YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
DE mpc (102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank)
Manbrass
bugler
bugler

Post by Manbrass »

Adams41 wrote:
the elephant wrote:Why not look for it on the correct instrument? Finding some tuba player who has even heard of this solo will be tough. Why do you have to hear it on a tuba to see how it goes? And do you not have the sheet music?

Here is an excellent performance that is a great guide to how this needs to be played. It is on (you guessed it) cornet. Just give YouTube a quick search.

Good luck.

I wanted to hear it on tuba so I could get the correct pitch and yes I have sheet music but it’s still cornet sheet music and isn’t a cornet Bb I and Eb that’s why I want to hear a tuba play it
Don't pay the elephant too much attention tubenet is his life after all.
timayer
3 valves
3 valves

Post by timayer »

What an absolutely wonderful piece.

As suspected above, I had never heard of it before this, so thank you for bringing it to my attention. And I'm sure I'm not alone in that sentiment.

There is a huge amount of music out there that tuba has never performed or recorded, and it's always fun to be the first. It's not without its challenges. For example, there are sections where the cornet is the top voice of a chorale-like phrase. That won't come off the same on tuba.

If the correct pitch is an issue, I would recommend taking a couple hours and writing out the part in a key/clef you are familiar with. I've done that many times, and it's a good exercise while also making the music more accessible to play. Then you get to have the fun (and I do think it is fun) of sorting out what from the cornet performance works on tuba, what doesn't, and how the piece can be most effectively conveyed on the tuba. You'll hopefully record it, upload it, and the next person will have a point of reference to work from.

Good luck, and enjoy working it up!