Warren Deck recordings

in that recording
ZMan
bugler
bugler

Warren Deck recordings

Post by ZMan »

What are some of the famous New York Phil recordings when Deck was principal tubist?
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Re: Warren Deck recordings

Post by UDELBR »

Holst "Planets" under Mehta on Teldec. Comes as close as I know to capturing the breadth and grandeur of Warren's sound.
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Bill Troiano »

Warren was my guest artist for my Tuba Day event on LI back in 1984. In his recital/demo/clinic to the audience, after playing a few solos, he talked about playing in an orchestra and then he played and discussed some excerpts. We were in an all purpose room that year - a combination cafeteria, gym and school assembly room with very live acoustics. He talked about playing the Ride and how because of where it is written in the tuba range, and as loud as he can play this excerpt, he said you won't hear it in the orchestra. Well, he corked off and blew the crxp out of it. It was amazing. He said they just recorded a Wagner CD and it recently became available in the stores. So, I went to some record store and found it. He was wrong about not being able to hear him play it.

The recording is: Wagner, Der Ring Des Nibelungen, New York Philharmonic, Zubin Mehta. It's on CBS Sony Masterworks.
poomshanka
4 valves
4 valves

Post by poomshanka »

Dave Amason
doublebuzzing
3 valves
3 valves

Post by doublebuzzing »

Most of the Masur recordings should be avoided as apparently he didn't like the low brass very much and their sound is very muted on most of the recordings. Shame because they recorded some great pieces.
jtuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by jtuba »

Having been in school in NJ/NYC during this tenure, the sound in the hall was much different than the sound of the recordings for sure
Adjunct Tuba Professor, Christopher Newport University
Eastman Artist

daktx2
bugler
bugler

Post by daktx2 »

A few favorites:

The sound Deck makes in Highlights from the Ring (incredibly cheap on Amazon) is a big part of why I ended up majoring in music.
https://www.amazon.com/Wagner-Highlight ... B0000026OJ

A free example of this set of musicians playing Wagner on tour, complete with some awesome closeups of the brass is here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVVWzsRCius

A fun and unusual one is Masur, Liszt, and Kodaly.
https://www.amazon.com/Liszt-Mazeppa-Me ... B000BD0CXQ

I'm also a big fan of Deck's playing on Prokofiev 5 with Masur conducting. I'm pretty sure this is the CD.
https://www.amazon.com/Prokofiev-Sympho ... B0042FXIEO
There's a pirated version of a live performance of NY doing this (also Alpine Symphony) from around this era that some people on this forum ( :lol: ) might have as well.

Everyone loves "Deck Special", which is him and I belive Houston's trombone section playing orchestral excerpts in a masterclass. This is another one that can be obtained from some people on this forum ( :lol: )
Weltklang B&S Symphonie F tuba
Bohm and Meinl 5520 C tuba
jimgray
bugler
bugler

Post by jimgray »

I once heard a bootleg of him playing the Kellaway and pretty much wet myself.

+1 on the Sibelius, which I also heard them play at Tanglewood and also pretty much wet myself.
ZMan
bugler
bugler

Post by ZMan »

Thanks for all your recommendations! I ordered the Bruckner 4 recording as well as the Mahler 5.