Edward Scissorhands -- cookie factory scene

in that recording
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Edward Scissorhands -- cookie factory scene

Post by toobagrowl »

I think I heard (read?) that Norm Pearson actually played the tuba on much (all?) of this movie from 1990, including the cookie factory scene.
Can someone (Poomshanka?) confirm this. What tuba was used; maybe an HB-6? Thnx :tuba:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NGjZLn ... sist_app=1
poomshanka
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Edward Scissorhands -- cookie factory scene

Post by poomshanka »

Mostly Norm Pearson, with some help from Doug Tornquist. Not precisely sure who was playing on the Cookie Factory low range exercise, but if it was Norm, my guess he was using his 188.
Dave Amason
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

Thnx :!: I think Norm sometimes comes here, maybe he would remember for sure what tuba he used?

Was also listening to Close Encounters the other day. Amazing tuba playing from Jim Self and Tommy Johnson :tuba:
poomshanka
4 valves
4 valves

Post by poomshanka »

If you'd like to check out a couple soundtracks with Tommy and Jim playing together, look up Jerry Goldsmith's scores for Poltergeist and Star Trek - The Motion Picture. Especially Poltergeist. Some very exposed tuba action in that one.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=O ... lKVW_Ph4U4

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... uRgmnCQhgY

On Norm's horn, unless I've missed my guess, he didn't buy his HB-6 until the early 90s sometime. I seem to recall playing it at his house when he was thinking about buying it, and I also seem to recall that being in the timeframe I was in an Air Force band. That would've been June '90 to June '94. I was studying with him at CSULB up thru Spring semester of '90, just before I got into the USAF, and I don't recall him having the HB-6 at that time.
Dave Amason
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

^ Yeah, I've listened to both Poltergeist and Star Strek soundtracks. Tons of tuba on the part before the house implodes in Poltergeist -- you can actually hear two tubas at times during that section; it's great :!:

There seemed to be a LOT more tuba in filmscores from the 1970s - 90s, compared to today. I think it is because some of those great film composers have since passed :(
poomshanka
4 valves
4 valves

Post by poomshanka »

Keep an ear out for Michael Giacchino's scores. He's written some really nice tuba parts. Here's a selection from a video game, Medal of Honor: Frontline:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnDor3PjFqs

Two tubas, very present in the mix. Chris Olka has said these Northwest Sinfonia recordings were often him and one of his top students, or maybe Ellis Wean, or even him going back and overdubbing the second part.
Dave Amason
Dylan King
YouTube Tubist
YouTube Tubist

Post by Dylan King »

Doug Tornquist played on some of that score as well, if I remember correctly.
Mira 291 CC
Yorkbrunner CC
Eastman CC
YFB-822 F
YFB-621 F
PT-10 F Clone
MackMini F
YBL622 B-TB
YSL891Z TB
Xeno Bb/C Trps
Taylor Bb/C Trp
Eclipse C Trp
Yamaha C Pic
Lawler C7 Trp
Osmun Corumpet
Carol Pocket Trp
Schagerl Gansch Horn
Monette Ajna Trumpet
Norm Pearson
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Norm Pearson »

I haven’t checked in here in a while.

I played all but one session on this score. I played a silver Mirafone 188 (that I still regret selling!). The Cookie Factory was lots of fun to play, very low, lots of ledger lines in octaves with the bass trombone. Bass trombonist was the late great Phil Teele. He had a rock solid low register and he was so easy to play with, great ears. It’s hard for me to take all of the credit since the bass trombone added so much depth to the tuba sound. Always a joy to play next to a great bass trombonist!

This is one of my favorite scores, not because I played on it, but the music is really interesting.
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

^ Very cool. Sounded like a fun part :) I don't check here as often either as this site is a shell of it's former self.
kingrob76
3 valves
3 valves

Post by kingrob76 »

Norm Pearson wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:57 pm I played all but one session on this score. I played a silver Mirafone 188 (that I still regret selling!). The Cookie Factory was lots of fun to play, very low, lots of ledger lines in octaves with the bass trombone. Bass trombonist was the late great Phil Teele. He had a rock solid low register and he was so easy to play with, great ears. It’s hard for me to take all of the credit since the bass trombone added so much depth to the tuba sound. Always a joy to play next to a great bass trombonist!

This is one of my favorite scores, not because I played on it, but the music is really interesting.
Norm, do you happen to remember what kind of mouthpiece you paired with your 188?
Rob. Just Rob.
Norm Pearson
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Norm Pearson »

I used a Marcinkiewicz N2 on my Mirafone 188's. I helped Joe Marcinkiewicz design the N line of tuba mouthpieces in 1983 when I was working for him as a mouthpiece maker. In fact the first dozen or so were completely hand made and, before he had a roller stamp made, I had to stamp "Marcinkiewicz" on every mouthpiece by hand. I still remember how to spell his last name!

Norm
kingrob76
3 valves
3 valves

Post by kingrob76 »

Norm Pearson wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 6:50 pm I used a Marcinkiewicz N2 on my Mirafone 188's. I helped Joe Marcinkiewicz design the N line of tuba mouthpieces in 1983 when I was working for him as a mouthpiece maker. In fact the first dozen or so were completely hand made and, before he had a roller stamp made, I had to stamp "Marcinkiewicz" on every mouthpiece by hand. I still remember how to spell his last name!

Norm
Great information, Norm - thank you! I just picked up an "Anniversary" edition 188 that was made in either late 1983 or early 1984 (12572, Miraphone isn't sure of the exact date) and while my Deck 3 worked really well on my previous 188 I'm always open to new ideas.
Rob. Just Rob.