The best teacher part II

The bulk of the musical talk
kontrabass
3 valves
3 valves

The best teacher part II

Post by kontrabass »

Thanks to those who replied to my earlier question. Many of your answers were as insightful as they were evasive :)
If I may clarify my intent:
Not too many years ago I believe the clear answer to my inital question would have been "Arnold Jacobs" regardless of semantics. Today I wonder if there is a teacher or teachers who come close to being what Jacobs was: a master performer AND master teacher of the highest calibre who truly understands the inner workings of the tuba and of music in general, and the effective communication of these arts to his students.
It has been my experience that many teachers do a *pretty good job* with this. Some are natural players and cannot offer a comprehensive technical pedagogy. Others are full of wisdom and insight but have trouble relating it on terms other than their own. (Still others are more at home on the concert stage than in the teaching studio and have little to offer despite their prestige). If, as a future professional, I am to choose a teacher, I want to find the best teacher for me, not just one who is 'pretty good'.
Have you studied with a teacher who was a *master* technician, musician AND communicator? Does such a teacher exist? If so, who was it?
This is my question.
Thanks for your thoughts!
kontrabass
3 valves
3 valves

Post by kontrabass »

Sure, works for me.
So,
who was the best teacher you've ever worked with, and why?
TonyZ
pro musician
pro musician

Post by TonyZ »

Gary Tirey. He showed me what to fix, how to fix it, and I worked my tail off. He's a consummate musician and teacher.
Tony Z.