Smoooth euphonium sound

The bulk of the musical talk
Carroll
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Carroll »

You probably do not want to hear this... but I suspect if he played your horn and your mouthpiece - he would sound "smoooth" on it as well. While I do find that the Shilke "U" cup does give a less brilliant sound than the Bach style "C" cup (like your Yamaha), most often it is the player who makes the biggest difference in sound quality. Experiment and see. Order some Shilke mouthpieces (Woodwind and Brasswind will ship you three, keep what works) and go from there. The defacto standard for euphonium seems to be the 51D.

Good luck in you search for sauve.
Carroll
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Carroll »

Dang! Bloke beat me to the enter button again!
Will
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Will »

I played a 51D for years on my 321. I recently had the receiver removed and replaced with a large shank Weril receiver. My 51D no longer fits so I have been switching around with mouthpieces, depending on if I'm switching from tuba or bass trombone. But my sound never changes. My tone is the same, the same tone I worked towards for years. What's that saying, you can't fix a software problem with a hardware solution?

heads
Music Teacher
Z-Tuba Dude
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Z-Tuba Dude »

I really like the sound of a Perantucci PT-4A on the YEP-321. For me, it gave the horn a broader, warmer sound.

I got the recommendation from people right here, on TubeNet, a few years ago, and have been very happy ever since.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

treddle wrote: We should probably transition to embicure (spelling).
Here you go:

embouchure

And I second the motion: ask him to give you lessons. Specifically, ask him to play a note with that beautiful sound, "freeze" his embouchure, take the horn off his face, and show you what it looks like. You might be amazed at what he's doing that is different from what you are doing. .... but part of his sound will be his oral cavity and body size, etc, that you won't be able to match no matter what. But the proper technique will take you a long way towards what you want. Knowing what you want is the first step.

MA