Sousaphone

The bulk of the musical talk
alan2569
lurker
lurker

Sousaphone

Post by alan2569 »

I am just curious as to what sousaphone is the most sought after. For example if you could have any one what would it be? And what do you think is the best sousaphone ever made?
EMC
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Sousaphone

Post by EMC »

its all about the jumbos
dmmorris
3 valves
3 valves
Location: From far away as Jupiter sulfur mines, way down by the methane sea.

Post by dmmorris »

In the 70's, my college had already well aged Conns and Kings. I liked the old King the best......seemed like I didn't need to work as hard to get around on it.

That said, I'm playing an really old Conn now and love it.
beta 14??..........OK!

Mid 70's B&S Tuba
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

alan2569 wrote:And what do you think is the best sousaphone ever made?
That would be the Conn 40K.
Full Metal Ratchet
bugler
bugler

Post by Full Metal Ratchet »

I like a 14K with one bit. Preferably beat to hell and so ugly no one will ever want to use it but me.

Nimble, full sound, projects well, mostly in tune.

Most sought after by the average person (not necessarily a tuba player) is a 20K.

Most sought after by tuba collectors is any jumbo.
Last edited by Full Metal Ratchet on Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Scott
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Paul Scott »

Yes, I must concur. The Conn 40K is a very hard instrument to beat, especially if you have a good one.
Adjunct Tuba Professor
William Paterson University
Wayne, NJ
Jose the tuba player
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Jose the tuba player »

Last edited by Jose the tuba player on Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WTB OLDS SOUSAPHONE WITH 20 INCH BELL
Tuba Guy
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Tuba Guy »

Different situations, different horns. If it's an outdoor gig with not a lot of moving, I'll whip out the big Conn 40k (an old silver, 4 valved beast). If I want metal but not the shoulder issues, I'll take the little Conn (naked lady...raw brass and 3 valves, but a really small bore so it just rips). Day to day usage, I've been using a King fiberglass...it's painted green and blue and I don't have to worry if I accidentally smack into a street sign/door/person/building/train door/car/trunk.
In a way, they're all the best sousaphone for me, just at different times. (though if I could only keep one, it would be the fiberglass...the other ones would spend too much time in the shop for the situations they get into)
"We can avoid humanity's mistakes"
"Like the tuba!"
whattheduck
bugler
bugler

Post by whattheduck »

What are everyone's thoughts/opinions on the Conn 32K? I'm looking at one. How does it differ from the 20 and 14?
MrBasseyPants
bugler
bugler

Post by MrBasseyPants »

I definitely feel that the Kings are the best marching horns...at least the ancient ones from the 20s-40s. I really liked the 40K I had...it was a great tuba, but I thought it was too nice sounding...it wasn't mean.

I sold my 40K to get a King Giant 4-valver and while I prefer the King....it was a bit tough to let the Conn go...but I just didn't need that many horns. With that being said...I also love my King Jumbo ...but it is so impractical...and is sadly bested by the Giant in just about every category except for awesomeness of size. For the handful of times I use a sousaphone in a year...either of my Kings are pretty awesome. The Jumbo is a beast to march with though....the size definitely gives the horn some limitations.

So, I have been playing tuba for 30 years and sousaphone for 20...and just this last fall was the first time I ever got the chance to play a fiberglass sousaphone. I am ashamed to admit it...but I kind of liked it. It was super light and I liked how the whole horn vibrated when you played. Though, I would never trade one of my Kings for one.

jc
MrBasseyPants - jc
My three Kings: 2007 King 2341 | 1935 King Giant 1271 | 1925 King 1265 Jumbo (now with four valves)
...and a 1920s Columbia Tenor Sousaphone

WARNING: This tuba player has been known to get his groove on via bass guitar as well!
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

whattheduck wrote:What are everyone's thoughts/opinions on the Conn 32K? I'm looking at one. How does it differ from the 20 and 14?
Only know what I read - the 14K with better, heavier-duty hardware. So I suppose that would make it a bit smaller than the 20K, and with normal valves.
LoyalTubist
6 valves
6 valves

Post by LoyalTubist »

I think it's a matter of choice. I'd love to have a humongous raincatcher silver plate (King or Conn) with four valves myself. My wife says she'd be happy with a white fiberglass Bundy from about the time I was learning how to play. (She is younger than I am and that predates her.)
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

GregTuba79 wrote:King 2350's are the gold standard for high school and college marching bands IMO...my high school had roughly 30 of them since the late 70's til the present (some minor work done) but they for the most part lasted many years with low maintenance and 1 billion miles of parade and field shows across all continents of Earth. They are .656 bore i believe and super easy to blow and project on for anyone.
The standard King BBb sousas have a .687" valve bore, I believe. But I agree they are great; especially the old H.N.White models. My high school and first college had them.

[Elkhart] Conn sousas are nice, but don't excite me a whole lot -- I find them overall too dark/tubby and not as in-tune as the Kings, or even the Yamahas.

King sousas have a 'sweet' sound at low-medium volumes and have a "kick-***/aggressive" 'growling' sound with overtones at loud volume levels. They are very in-tune, easy to play, and well-made (esp. older models).

As for current-made,modern sousas, I pick the brass Yamahas. IMO, they play nearly as in-tune as the Kings, and are very well-made and easy to play. The Yamahas have a brighter sound than the Kings and Conns (with the Conns being midnight-dark in tone), but the sound is thick/full, with overtones and 'bite' at louder dynamic levels, and excellent projection.

:tuba: