Advice on CC Tuba (Mack Brass 900)

The bulk of the musical talk
hduong
bugler
bugler

Advice on CC Tuba (Mack Brass 900)

Post by hduong »

Hey guys,

Currently a college student looking to get a new CC tuba. I have already sold my PT6P (needed to pay for other instruments I was using more) and am looking for a similar horn. I've seen some pretty good reviews of the Mack Brass Wisemann 900 and am highly interested. Looking for people who are playing/used to play the horn. I mostly do wind ensemble with a few of the local colleges and a little bit of chamber work and wanted to know how your experiences with the horn was. How was the tuning on the horn (Low F 54 or 124?, Low D 5234 or 5134) and if you happened to play both the PT6P and Mack Brass 900 back to back, how noticeable (or if there was) the difference?
ouch
bugler
bugler

Re: Advice on CC Tuba (Mack Brass 900)

Post by ouch »

The most significant difference between the two would be that the 900 plays so much more in tune, more so than the PT-6P. Being someone who has been able to play both horns, you can't really lose with the Mack. I also believe some valve slides are revised on the 900, either longer or shorter on some valves (don't quote me on that).
Alex Stemson

Miraphone 1291 CC
Besson 983 Eb

Angry At Percussionists
thevillagetuba
4 valves
4 valves

Post by thevillagetuba »

I have not played either horn, so I know I don't fit the player you are asking for advice from. But, I just did a Grad Audition yesterday and was recommend to buy the 900 because it was a substantially better horn than the PT6 and it was half the cost, essentially.
Robert S. Pratt
B.M., M.M. Tuba Performance
Getzen G60 prototype
TubaZac2012
3 valves
3 valves

Post by TubaZac2012 »

I've played 4 PT 6s. 3 of them were the piston version and the other was a rotor version. The 6 is fine, great, but the Wisemann has in my opinion a better color than the PT-6, it's the same setup, just far better tuning, sound, and I felt the low register on the Wisemann was much better than the PT-6. If I ever buy another big horn, and I see that coming sometime, it is going to be a Wisemann, without question. I failed to mention that I have also played 2 Wisemann's. One in silver and one in lacquer, both phenomenal. 2 of the best tubas I've played, and I've played Baer's, Nirschl's, 2165, ect.

Hope this helped,
Zac
Zac Riley
Shoals Community Band
Twickenham Winds
Huntsville Brass Band Contrabass Tuba
Madison Community Symphony Orchestra
York/King/Reynolds Custom Tabor Build Franken York CC
hduong
bugler
bugler

Post by hduong »

I'm fairly set on buying a MACK TU900 once I get the money. While I love playing BBb horns, something about not having a CC horn doesn't feel right. :tuba:
Jess Haney
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Jess Haney »

hduong wrote:I'm fairly set on buying a MACK TU900 once I get the money. While I love playing BBb horns, something about not having a CC horn doesn't feel right. :tuba:

Dont feel you need a CC to be successful or make you a (serious player) many players do it with or without a CC. Go with what you are comfortable with. Its only 18 inches of difference.
Brass Band Tacoma
Puget Brass
Willson BBb 3100 FA5
Willson Eb 3400 FA5

..and a miriad of other JUNK not worth mentioning.
hduong
bugler
bugler

Post by hduong »

tank wrote:
hduong wrote:I'm fairly set on buying a MACK TU900 once I get the money. While I love playing BBb horns, something about not having a CC horn doesn't feel right. :tuba:

Dont feel you need a CC to be successful or make you a (serious player) many players do it with or without a CC. Go with what you are comfortable with. Its only 18 inches of difference.

Ahh yes, I have played both C and Bb, I chose to sell my old C tuba to pay for school and to purchase some live sound equipment as I wasn't playing it on a weekly basis, and since I did a summer activity that used Bb horns, I didn't feel a need to use my C horn anymore. Now I'm playing tuba on a daily basis I feel like switching back