Funnel shape f tuba mouthpiece

The bulk of the musical talk
Sidanas
lurker
lurker

Funnel shape f tuba mouthpiece

Post by Sidanas »

Hi everybody, I wondered if a small funnel shape mouthipece could be used on an F tuba obtaining a good sound, instead of a usual bowl cup mpc. I've tried a helleberg 7b but with no satisfying results. Could anyone tell me some other mpc's?

Thank you
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Funnel shape f tuba mouthpiece

Post by Tom »

I used a Floyd Cooley Helleberg for many years on my F tuba and was quite happy with it. It is absolutely funnel shaped. I tried many, many, many mouthpieces on my F tuba before settling on that but if you don't really like the Conn 7B, you won't be very happy with a Cooley Helleberg. The Cooley is very similar to the Conn 7B, but with a slightly different rim and a more open backbore.

There is also the Schilke Helleberg II - F, which is a shallow version of the SH-II. They come up for sale used every so often or you can special order one from Schilke. There really aren't very many choices in small Helleberg mouthpieces...

Then the Blokepiece came along. Right at the time when two piece models started to be offered, I switched to a Blokepiece solo (the Imperial didn't exist at the time) and never looked back. The solo model is not really a Helleberg funnel, but it is a very fine F tuba mouthpiece. I am happy with my solo setup and have not tried the Imperial, but based on what Joe's had to say about it, I'd probably like it. It would be worth trying if you know that's the type of mouthpiece you want.
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

It might help to know what you didn't like about the 7B. That isn't a terribly shallow mouthpiece, though, anyway. I've tried a variety of mouthpieces advertised as funnel shaped or Helleberg style, and the Conn mouthpieces have been the most true to that description, for what it's worth. Might keep an eye out for an old Conn 3, which would be bit smaller diameter than the 7B (or Conn 2), rim like Conn 2, and quite shallow and funnel shaped.

The Schilke 62 is not as bowled out as some, also on the small side. Larger options might include Loud LM10? (haven't seen that one), and Marcinkiewicz H4. Which I would not characterize as a bass tuba mouthpiece, but players differ.
michael_glenn
3 valves
3 valves

Post by michael_glenn »

According to the Laskey website...
"F--Like the Helleberg cup in shape but approximately 1/3 more shallow"

Hellebergs are funnels. So... I think this might be precisely what you're looking for. I use a Laskey 30F on my Firebird.
Michael Ebie
PhD Music Theory (in progress) — University of Cincinnati CCM
MM Music Theory — Michigan State University
MM Tuba Performance — Michigan State University
BM Brass Performance — University of Akron
gregsundt
Undecided
Undecided

Post by gregsundt »

Schilke 62

The old Perantucci 19

Or this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/182121584489?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
"The only problem with that tuba is, it does everything you tell it to!" - Robert LeBlanc
Sidanas
lurker
lurker

Post by Sidanas »

Thank you for the replies, I'll have a look at those you suggested
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

michael_glenn wrote:According to the Laskey website...
"F--Like the Helleberg cup in shape but approximately 1/3 more shallow"
Yep...Scott Laskey was an old Schilke guy. The SH-II-F that I mentioned earlier is his Schilke design of (basically) the same mouthpiece he now offers within his own line of Laskey mouthpieces. Same for SH-II and 30H and so forth. Good stuff there!
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.
JCalkin
pro musician
pro musician

Post by JCalkin »

I'm digging the Laskey 28F on my 45S-LP.
Josh Calkin
Wayne State College
Low Brass/Bands
circusboy
4 valves
4 valves

Post by circusboy »

When I played F, I really liked the Schilke 66. Give it a shot.