How would you take this????

The bulk of the musical talk
Kevin Hendrick
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Kevin Hendrick »

tubafreaks7 wrote:Graciously accept the compliment, if it is indeed a compliment and thank her. If she was being sarcastic, say "Well I've never heard an oboe play in tune...EVER!"
It sounds like a compliment to me! When in doubt, best to assume it's genuine and respond appropriately ("first do no harm", after all). It may not occur to many of our less-massively-instrumented colleagues that we can do things other than "boop-boop" and "BLATTT!" :wink:
"Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent." -- Pogo (via Walt Kelly)
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

tubafreaks7 wrote:"Well I've never heard an oboe play in tune...EVER!"
THAT goes without saying... even synthesized...

Take it as good! After all, she heard you, and sarcasm as an insult is highly overrated. Rule of thumb: If someone offers a compliment, accept it as such. On the odd chance they didn't mean it that way, it'll annoy the he** out of them that you took it the way you did! :)
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

I agree with Bloke. :shock: I think the oboe player has the hots for you :wink:
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Kevin Hendrick
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Kevin Hendrick »

knuxie wrote:Is it just me, or is everyone assuming this oboist is a 'she'?
That isn't always the case, is it? :)
"Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent." -- Pogo (via Walt Kelly)
Dylan King
YouTube Tubist
YouTube Tubist

Post by Dylan King »

knuxie wrote:Is it just me, or is everyone assuming this oboist is a 'she'?
If it is a she, you may want to take her to see Star Wars or something. If it's a he, you may consider hacking up a few passages and pray he loses interest.
Louis
bugler
bugler

Post by Louis »

DP wrote:always, always ... the safest (hence only) reply should be

"thank-you you're very kind"
Definitely right. This way, if it was sincere, he/she will feel good. And if it was sarcasm, he/she will feel bad.

Louis
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

bloke wrote:Here's a pic of the "Haydn" thing...Some bloke was conducting. That "big-headed" viola guy was on sabbatical from the Cleveland Orchestra. I forgot his name...Does anyone recognize him?
Based on what I know (and what I see), I think you should be grateful that your daughter takes after her mother.

Rick "thinking any kid of Joe and Debbie got a double dose of musical talent but only one dose of good looks" Denney
Kevin Hendrick
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Kevin Hendrick »

bloke wrote:... I remember the "professional" clarinetist and flautist totally blowing their entrances in that "ping-pong" section, and my daughter (with that fast scale passage followed by that "hee-haw" figure...right before the orchestral legato melody) came in perfectly in spite of all that and saved the orchestra's (_!_). Needless to say, I was proud of her.
And rightly so! Oboe's not an easy instrument to play (at all, let alone well) -- sounds like she's very talented. :)
Jonathantuba wrote:... as a tubist you do get respect from other members of the orchestra (even the violins) once they realize you are a REAL musician and not just one of the those noisy brass players.
That's exactly right -- and the same should go in the other direction, too. If you hear someone in one of the other sections doing a great job, it doesn't hurt to let them know. 8)
windshieldbug

Post by windshieldbug »

I've always favored the rejoinder: "I've suffered for my music... now it's your turn!"
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Joe Baker
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Joe Baker »

bloke wrote: I didn't inherit any of their good looks directly, but may have passed some of them on down the line...
Having visited you a couple of times, I know you made a truly selfless gesture to take none of those good looks for yourself.
bugler

Post by TubaSteve »

Take it as the complement that it was most likely intended. I love that Overature to Candide and also the Candide Suite. Now I am going to be thinking of that part all night....
Steve
MW-25, 2-Reynolds 170 (BBb Recording Bass), Reynolds 180 (EEb Recording Bass) , 2-Reynolds 140 Sousaphones, Holton 350, others.....
SRanney
3 valves
3 valves

Random Limmerick

Post by SRanney »

"There once was a fellow named Cager
Who, as the result of a wager,
Offered to fart
The whole oboe part
Of Mozart's Quartet in F Major."

Thank you! Thank you! I have now left the building!

SR