What happened to KING??

The bulk of the musical talk
USStuba04
pro musician
pro musician

What happened to KING??

Post by USStuba04 »

i just realized that there is only ONE place selling new King tubas...

and it wasn't who i thought it would be...

is dillons and brasswind still gonna carry these???

also.. how do these play as far as intonation and projection...and all that good stuff????

i thought they were pretty good...???
punk_tuba
bugler
bugler

Post by punk_tuba »

i bought a king 2341 from dillons last month..........at the time i believe it was the only one.

i'm sure they could get more because they are an authorized king dealer
punk_tuba
bugler
bugler

Post by punk_tuba »

also.............
the intonation on the horn is fantastic...............w/ the slides in their proper place i'm within 5 cents of every note...........even the privaledge tones are in tune.

the sound that this horn projects is great.

i don't want to tute my horn (no pun intended)............but honestly
do yourself a favor and try one.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

I hope there continues to be a distinction between some of the old US names in tubas... now that most all of the old US names are owned by one company.... Conn-Selmer (Steinway). We repair guys are bound to suffer some real horror stories trying to get parts. I tried to buy some Holton (now LaBlanc... also owned by Conn-Selmer) bottom valve caps a few weeks ago and ended up getting them from a fellow repairman after getting the run-around from three companies.

http://www.conn-selmer.com/
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

I believe I have uncovered the scandal behind this.

The name King is being phased out for political reasons. The name is both sexist (King, as oppossed to Queen) and imperialist, as it implies royality and a division of classes.

There is a similar reason behind Conn, as the name suggests an activity that is immoral and unlawful in virtually every culture.

Conversely, the York name is experiencing a rebirth. The real reason behind the demise of York was because of the association of its name with the city that everyone loved to hate (in part due to the Yankees). However, in our post 9/11 culture it has once again become fashionable to "I Love New York" so the name is now in its present renaissance.

Yamaha is also considering renaming its imports in English speaking nations as the proximity of "ma" and "ha" could lead the unwitting consumer to believe the company was covertly laughing at his or her mother.

Don't even get me started on "B&S"
Adjunct Instructor, Trevecca Nazarene University
kegmcnabb
3 valves
3 valves

Re:Marty Neilan and the scandal behind this...

Post by kegmcnabb »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Craig McClelland
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

...and the Europeans are doing likewise.

To dispel the image of a impersonal money-grubbing corporate entity making nothing but big heavy horns, Meinl-Weston will be changing its names to Yoursl-Wesgram.

Likewise, to avoid any sexist associations, Besson, Willson and Kalison will be renaming their enterprises to Besperson, Willperson and Kaliperson, respectively.

Alexander will be abbreviated to the non-sexist "Alex".
Mark

Post by Mark »

Chuck(G) wrote:Likewise, to avoid any sexist associations, Besson, Willson and Kalison will be renaming their enterprises to Besperson, Willperson and Kaliperson, respectively.
Didn't work.
JCalkin
pro musician
pro musician

Post by JCalkin »

MartyNeilan wrote:I believe I have uncovered the scandal behind this.

There is a similar reason behind Conn, as the name suggests an activity that is immoral and unlawful in virtually every culture.
A couple of years back, Conn approached one of my former teachers and suggested that they sponsor him. He refused due to their not having an F tuba (his primary axe), but I said he ought to do it just so he could call himself a "Conn-Artist".
Josh Calkin
Wayne State College
Low Brass/Bands
Dylan King
YouTube Tubist
YouTube Tubist

Post by Dylan King »

MartyNeilan wrote:The name King is being phased out for political reasons. The name is both sexist (King, as oppossed to Queen) and imperialist, as it implies royality and a division of classes.
I guess I'm all of the above.
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

Mark wrote:
Chuck(G) wrote:Likewise, to avoid any sexist associations, Besson, Willson and Kalison will be renaming their enterprises to Besperson, Willperson and Kaliperson, respectively.
Didn't work.
Okay, how about Kalispawn?

:)
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

Mark wrote:
Didn't work.
Right. Equally sexist would be:
Bessperdaughter
Willperdaughter
Kaliperdaughter

MA, who kind of likes the name "Alex"
Kevin Hendrick
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Kevin Hendrick »

MaryAnn wrote:Kaliperdaughter
= female offspring who makes precise measurements of smallish objects? :wink:
"Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent." -- Pogo (via Walt Kelly)