What's the best complement you've ever had ?

The bulk of the musical talk
Steve Marcus
pro musician
pro musician

Re: What's the best complement you've ever had ?

Post by Steve Marcus »

Hum or play the four notes that correspond to those key names. Recognize what you're hearing?
In the snippet "C-D-F-E," the first note is the tonic key of that "tune."
Alright, since you're reaching for a lifeline, here's the big clue:

Jupiter Symphony

P.S. Side point and acknowledgement: Brahms 2, like many other pieces, might sound great on a jumbo sousaphone
Steve Marcus
http://www.facebook.com/steve.marcus.88
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
Ulli
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Ulli »

:?: :?: I get never a compliment. I am a tubist. :cry: :tuba:
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Ulli wrote::?: :?: I get never a compliment. I am a tubist. :cry: :tuba:
If I were an emotionally needy attention #%!$@ and seeker of accolades, I'd play the trumpet!!

:tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
ECUorchbound
bugler
bugler

Post by ECUorchbound »

This one sticks with me.

Playing with the Mankato Symphony, we did Carmina Burana earlier this month. I had an older gentleman come up to me and told me how he'd sung the bass part for the piece many times in the past 30 years and today was the first time he really heard the tuba. And he absolutely loved it! Said he kept purposely listening for the tuba because he enjoyed the part and the sound I was creating so much. He left by giving me a rousing bravo.

I think the best compliments come from when people appreciate the long and LOUD notes.
Jacob Daniel

Freelance Musician and Educator
B&S PT-6
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Alex C »

"That was good. Let's go to the next piece." Arnold Jacobs in a lesson in the 1970's.
City Intonation Inspector - Dallas Texas
"Holding the Bordognian Fabric of the Universe together through better pitch, one note at a time."

Practicing results in increased atmospheric CO2 thus causing global warming.
Steve Marcus
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Steve Marcus »

Steve Marcus wrote:
Hum or play the four notes that correspond to those key names. Recognize what you're hearing?

Here's the big clue:

Jupiter Symphony
4th movement (final clue)

The next comment will be the answer to the riddle and its explanation. Hopefully, that will come from someone else who has figured out Charlie Pikler's riddle.
Steve Marcus
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

Me, casually asking the poor soul in front of me: "Can you hear me okay?"
The poor soul in front of me: *rubbing ears* "WHAT? Holy f***...!"

-----
After a particular Shostakovich lick with all six of us doing a pretty good job of the double-tongued 16th note runs: "Contras!.. Wow!"
-----

Robert Smith, going down the line, telling each contra, "Flat... sharp... just a little sharp... flat, too... not bad..." and getting to me says, "We're tuning to YOU."
-----

Playing Battle Hymn Of The Republic for the umpteenth time (pick a year, any year) and, during the low brass chorale in the bridge, seeing a woman in the crowd reach for some tissues out of her purse and dab the tears in her eyes.
Steve Marcus
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Steve Marcus »

Steve Marcus wrote:
Steve Marcus wrote:

Here's the big clue:

Jupiter Symphony
4th movement (final clue)

The next comment will be the answer to the riddle and its explanation.
The first melody notes of the 4th movement of Mozart's Symphony No. 41 "Jupiter" are C-D-F-E. So the key of the hypothetical Brahms 5th Symphony would have been...A, because that's the NEXT melody note in that Mozart movement.

Brahms loved the music of Mozart. He also loved practical jokes. This is one of the reasons why Charlie Pikler's riddle is very clever. It's also, perhaps, a bit contrived (which is why I posted it under "What's the best compliment you ever had" because the conductor who presented it to me was surprised and impressed that I got the intended answer--especially since I'm not usually very good at riddles).

Thanks for following along. Alex Trebek I'm not.
Steve Marcus
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
AnorakHorn
bugler
bugler

Post by AnorakHorn »

"Your conducting not only directs the band and brings out the best sounds, but also entertains the audience. You gesticulate like a mad professor."
- a person from the audience after a community concert
J. Handley
Eb Tuba
Melbourne, Australia
saktoons
bugler
bugler

Post by saktoons »

As a section, we heard (perhaps only once) from our director "Basses, that sounds really good. You could be a little louder there."

Louder.

SAK
Yamaha YSH-411S
Conn 20J
B-M Small Sousa
B-M Marzan piston BBb
MackBrass
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by MackBrass »

The best compliment ever is " congratulations you won the job".

Second best compliment, being asked to stand at the end of symphony fantastic with the Virginia symphony, we killed it.
Tom McGrady
MACK Brass of Virginia LLC
Email: Sales@mackbrass.com" target="_blank
http://www.mackbrass.com" target="_blank" target="_blank
804-926-7707
Robert Tucci
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

The Shot that was heard across town

Post by Robert Tucci »

"La Donna e mobile", the famous tenor aria in Verdi's "Rigoletto", opens with a booming b-natural. One night, the performance was moving along nicely but a good note at the right time can serve to wake up drowsy listeners in the audience. I gave the note a hearty blow but what came out was one of the biggest bloopers I ever produced; what was supposed to be a b-natural came out sideways. The note could have been heard all the way to the Hofbrau Haus.The result was a mass of chuckles from the audience and the compliment from one of our trumpet players sitting in front of me. "Do that again and we will give you two cases of beer." One aspect of famous bloopers: one never forgets them.... and if nothing else: anyone who makes that one will be wide awake for the Tempesta which follows in the fouth act.

Bob
MikeW
3 valves
3 valves

Post by MikeW »

Plastic duck race down the Capilano River, and we were playing "Anchor's Aweigh" for the off. A passing Afghan hound fell deeply under the spell of the music, braced all four paws against the ground, lifted its muzzle, and wailed along with the band - completely imovable until the end of the piece.

They usually only do that for fire sirens.
Imperial Eb Kellyberg
dilettante & gigless wannabe
happyroman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by happyroman »

Do backhanded compliments count?

"That tuba has a nice sound." (referring to the instrument, not the player, LOL).

For the actual compliment - I was playing a Kopprasch etude in a lesson with Mr. Jacobs. When I finished, I received the proverbial slap on the knee and he said "Now that's air support!"
Andy
kontrabass
3 valves
3 valves

Post by kontrabass »

A musician friend had seen my funk brass band play a festival in the park with his wife and daughter (about 6 years old).
A few weeks later I happened to be on a gig with him and we rehearsed at his home. We came in and he looked at me with a twinkle in his eye and said, "she's really excited you're coming".
His daughter came in with a giant stuffed snake toy wrapped around her like a sousaphone with the head where the bell would be, making "boomp boomp boomp" tuba sounds with her mouth. Apparently she'd been parading around the house like that ever since she first saw me play!
Rob Teehan
Toronto composer and tuba player
Visit my tuba blog: http://www.robteehan.com
Conn 2J CC
bugler
bugler

Post by Conn 2J CC »

I'll offer these two, both pretty recent -

1. From a young conductor I greatly respect, whom I've played in pit orchestras for - "He's the best Bass Bone / Tuba doubler in the land". I'm not so sure of that, but gee, thanks.

2. From a friend who plays Trumpet and Percussion, who was listening to a recording of "It Is Well With My Soul" I had just made, with me playing three parts on a DEG two piston G Baritone Bugle to a MIDI accompaniment - "Let it never be said that you can't play in tune". Given the criticism the old G bugles have gotten over the decades, I really concentrated on balance, blend, musicianship and intonation while making that recording, so I really appreciated that comment. I just wish I had more time to make the recording better that it turned out, but it was for my late mother-in-law's funeral, and I was running out of time. One of these years, I intend to completely re-record it, accompaniment and all.
Last edited by Conn 2J CC on Fri May 05, 2017 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
Low Brass musician and Bass Guitarist
Charlie C Chowder
bugler
bugler

Post by Charlie C Chowder »

TubaChirstmas, I am just one of 300, "We like the sound of your tuba best". Non tuba, copy of a waltz I wrote for a 106 year old lady, went with her into her grave six months latter. I had to play it on my cello five times at her last Birthday party. Her knees danced and danced as she sat in her big over stuffed chair. Its called "Winifred's Waltz"

Charlie C. Chowder
Deathacus
lurker
lurker

Post by Deathacus »

I'm currently at the Lamont school of Music at DU in Denver studying with Warren Deck. When I had my first lesson with Warren Deck, I played the first movement of the gregson and some popular orchestral excerpts. I finished and he gave me a standing ovation. I'll never forget what he said "That was excellent, the tone was full, rich and colorful, your valve technique is quite good too. Your articulation (which I had been working on daily for the past year) is superb. Quite nice! It was nice to hear that from "an actual professional" as my teacher would often say. That complement has never left me.

The kicker was, "Too bad you did all of that wonderful stuff about 15% of the time!" He then gave me a smile that made his eyes twinkle and said "let's get to work"
ronr
bugler
bugler

Post by ronr »

Band transcription of the first movement of the Bolling Suite for flute and jazz piano. I was playing upright bass. Flutes stood. Clarinets stood. Conductor yelled out my name and gestured for me to stand. Big swell in applause, and cheering. I'm sure it wasn't as loud as I remember, but it sure felt good!
MSchott
bugler
bugler

Post by MSchott »

When I left the brass band I had been part of since it started 22 years earlier, during my final concert the band gave me a standing ovation. Probably the greatest honor I've had as a musician.