non-slip pad

The bulk of the musical talk
RSorenson
bugler
bugler

non-slip pad

Post by RSorenson »

I'm wondering if anyone sells a non slip pad that attaches to the bottom bow of a tuba. Currently I use cabinet drawer liner and wrap that around my leg then set my tuba on it. That keeps the tuba from moving around. However, it would be much easier to have it attached to the instrument in some way. Just wondering if anyone has done this.

thanks
Ryan Sorenson
Stetson University
Professor of Tuba

MM from Northwestern University
BM from University of South Florida
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Re: non-slip pad

Post by opus37 »

You might try going to your local drug store and purchasing one of those neoprene knee braces. They wrap around the lower bow, are adjustable, provide some non-slip and protect the bow from some minor bumps. They are not very expensive, so it may be worth a try.
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
happyroman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by happyroman »

In one of his YouTube videos, Chris Olka said he super glued a mouse pad to the bottom bow of his YamaYorks where the instrument comes into contact with his legs.
Andy
chronolith
4 valves
4 valves

Post by chronolith »

If you explore the knee brace option be sure to check that it is configured to freely wrap around the bow. Some of those braces are designed to be pulled on like a sock before you adjust the straps. You may have a tough time pulling it down over the bell and past the braces/etc.
Lectron
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Lectron »

Melton 200 -=- Melton 2141 -=- Cerveny 883 Opera -=- Besson 992 -=- MPCs: 3pcs steel (Sellmansberger/Parker)
PaulMaybery
pro musician
pro musician

Post by PaulMaybery »

There are dashboard pads that can be had in the automotive department. These are used to hold keys and other sets of small items. The ones I tried claim to be rubber, but I doubt that as they never tarnished the silver as does rubber. More than likely neoprene. OK - back to the point.
They are rather gummy (sticky) but its not an adhesive, but rather an unusual surface. They stick to the dashboard, but also to the bow of a tuba. The top side is textured a does not slide off your leg, even with shiny pants. The problem is that they are pretty delicate and tear easily.

I've tried drawer liner. It does work, but I found the little squares kept breaking off and leaving a trail around where I play. There is a more solid drawer liner that works ok too.

On the drawer liners, I cut them into 2 inch wide strips and wrapped the bottom bow with them similar to a bandage and just taped the ends so they did not unravel.

None of these seem to last very long.

I'm thinking a textured leather like naugahide might be the best. It really only needs to be where the tuba touches the left leg. And also textured enough so as not to slip.

Something laying in the lap will work as well, but then you're picking it up all the time.

For the same problem but in a different direction I've even toyed with having a bass clarinet peg attached to the lower end of the tuba that would adjust to put the mouthpiece comfortably at my mouth.

Right now I have one of those adjustrite cello chairs that I put an extra ledge on the front. Then a hard foam pad with velcro to hold it fast placed between my legs raising the tuba to the perfect height.

I keep thinking of the adjustable peg that is featured on those ergo trombone pegs might work.
I did correspond with the company owner in Finland and he felt that a tuba would be too heavy for the models he alread has. The nice feature with these is that they have a small shock absorbing unit on the end of the adjustable peg that allows for some humanistic movement as you play. If I could get a machinist to turn out a prototype, it might be a useful item.

Maybe we could lore Dan Schultz into designing and making one.

The problem with most of this stuff is schlepping it around. The simpler the better.
Wessex 5/4 CC "Wyvern"
Wessex 4/4 F "Berg"
Wessex Cimbasso F
Mack Euphonium
Mack Bass Trombone
Conn 5V Double Bell Euphonium (casually for sale to an interested party)
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

PaulMaybery wrote: For the same problem but in a different direction I've even toyed with having a bass clarinet peg attached to the lower end of the tuba that would adjust to put the mouthpiece comfortably at my mouth.

I keep thinking of the adjustable peg that is featured on those ergo trombone pegs might work.
I did correspond with the company owner in Finland and he felt that a tuba would be too heavy for the models he alread has. The nice feature with these is that they have a small shock absorbing unit on the end of the adjustable peg that allows for some humanistic movement as you play. If I could get a machinist to turn out a prototype, it might be a useful item.
There is a product (discontinued?) that was very similar to your concept. It was called a Stewart Stand and worked more-or-less as you describe. They have been mentioned on tubenet in the past and with photos. It was not a floor length peg, but rather was designed to have the foot sit on the edge of the chair. I've never tried one, but it looks interesting.
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Post by opus37 »

This idea may be a lot more and different than originally requested, but I saw a fellow create a board (think 3/4 plywood) about 10 inches wide. It was long enough to sit on and extend out in front of him. The part in front had an area that was designed to hold the tuba, keep it from moving, and at the right height for him. He used it by setting it on the chair and sitting on it. He then placed the tuba on the board and he was ready to play. Yes, it is an extra thing to carry, but it was simple and effective. He played a 20J so his main reason for using this device was to support a very heavy horn.
Last edited by opus37 on Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
Lectron
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Lectron »

Neoprene sheet could be had fairly cheep, but would it be sticky enough?
1/4" - 1/2" sorbothane would probably be my 1st choice...or silicone rubber (being a bit cheaper)
Or a yoga mat. Should be large enough for 10 x 12"x12"........and sticky
Melton 200 -=- Melton 2141 -=- Cerveny 883 Opera -=- Besson 992 -=- MPCs: 3pcs steel (Sellmansberger/Parker)
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

chronolith wrote:If you explore the knee brace option be sure to check that it is configured to freely wrap around the bow. Some of those braces are designed to be pulled on like a sock before you adjust the straps. You may have a tough time pulling it down over the bell and past the braces/etc.
Great mental picture I got from this one.... :D
Uncle Markie
bugler
bugler
Location: Highlands NJ - gateway to the Jersey Shore (Sandy Hook)

Post by Uncle Markie »

I did some experimenting with this to stop the sliding around of my big Martin in the Hercules stand. So far - I found that contact cementing a liner of yoga mat (it is about 3/8" thick) on the inside of the cradle stops the sliding. Plus one yoga mat gives you a nearly lifetime supply when you wear it out. (No, I'm not into Yoga - my girlfriend is...)
I would think a piece of yoga mat placed on the chair (there isn't enough room on a normal chair for both me and the Martin I'm afraid) would perform the same function, and be easy enough to throw in the case too.
I have always been an advocate of setting up your horn so that maximum effort goes into actually making music - as opposed to wrestling with the instrument. A tuba sliding off the chair and banging you in the chops is the worst.

Mark Heter
Mark Heter
1926 Martin Handcraft 3v upright bell front action ; 1933 Martin Handcraft 3v bellfront; King 2341 (old style); King top-action 3v; Bach (King) fiberglass sousaphone.
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

I've used the knee braces before. They do and don't work. I've used a couple different ones and they will always eventually start moving. They'll do the job as long as you don't mind tugging them back into place every so often.

I've also used grip tape for golf clubs/tennis rackets. This works pretty well (takes more effort than a knee brace to install). Eventually the adhesive goes. I've never had a finish issue, but I've heard a few people say they have. Probably depends on the adhesive on the tape backing.
Steginkt
bugler
bugler

Post by Steginkt »

I have a leather cuff on my Eb bow. It looks stylish and doesnt move. Works so well I get surprised when playing other instruments.
Yamaha Xeno YSL-8820
Willson 3400 Eb
Lyon and Healy Sousaphone
5/4 Rudolf Meinl CC
Wessex trumpet
Chris Olka
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Chris Olka »

I actually don't super glue anything to my horns. I buy these in bulk and just throw them out when the wear out. These work great for all of my tubas, including the 6/4 CC. Hope this helps:
https://www.google.com/search?q=jelly+s ... a8QgTYIwAQ" target="_blank" target="_blank
Chris Olka
Cincinnati Symphony
RSorenson
bugler
bugler

Post by RSorenson »

Thanks for all the replies!
Ryan Sorenson
Stetson University
Professor of Tuba

MM from Northwestern University
BM from University of South Florida
happyroman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by happyroman »

Chris Olka wrote:I actually don't super glue anything to my horns. I buy these in bulk and just throw them out when the wear out. These work great for all of my tubas, including the 6/4 CC. Hope this helps:
https://www.google.com/search?q=jelly+s ... a8QgTYIwAQ" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
My mistake. My memory isn't what it used to be, LOL.
Andy
jbaylies
5 valves
5 valves

Post by jbaylies »

I've been using lettuce velcro to wrap some drawer-liner around the bottom bow. I should probably find something a bit classier, though...

MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MikeMason »

So Chris, I got the pad you suggested. Do you lay it on your thigh like the drawer liner or wrap around the bottom bow of tuba? I've been using a 2 foot long piece of the drawer liner this week. Works surprisingly well.
Pensacola Symphony
Troy University-adjunct tuba instructor
Yamaha yfb621 with 16’’ bell,with blokepiece symphony
Eastman 6/4 with blokepiece symphony/profundo
Dan Tuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Dan Tuba »

I've been experimenting with black shelf/drawer liner and black Ace bandages. I wrap the shelf liner around first, then I wrap the Ace bandage around the outside of the shelf liner. The Ace bandage secures the shelf liner without the need for an adhesive and because it's so thin, the shelf liner(little black squares) keeps the tuba from slipping. Bonus - No trail of black squares :D
Conn 25J
Holton 3+1 "Monster" EEb
Wessex XL
Giddings and Kelly Mouthpieces
zangerzzz
bugler
bugler

Post by zangerzzz »

I cut the 12" wide roll of black shelf liner (Rubber) into 4" strips and wrap the bottom bow using gorilla tape to secure it at both ends.