56%
no
44%

Total votes: 36

Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Re: POLL: "difficult"

Post by Michael Bush »

My meta-answer: people who answer yes are going to be thinking of tubas they don't like, and people who answer no are going to be thinking of definitions.

Edit: definitions of terms like "expensive" and "difficult" and "play" and "in tune" and "musical instrument."
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

Every Alexander I've played.
David Richoux
5 valves
5 valves
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, mostly. Also Greater Seattle at times.

Post by David Richoux »

My Disten Eb 3 valve (c 1903) is difficult to play in tune, even though it was brought into the modern pitch. I still like it.
I do own a few tubas that cost $3-5K US. I have never bought a more expensive tuba than my Kalison DS BBb, so I guess I am not qualified to vote in this poll. It is just fine, by the way.
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

lowbrassmaniac wrote:When you see the player pulling and moving more 1st valve slide than a trombonist playing Kid Ory's creole trombone..it's "difficult" to see it as a viable option.
Reminds me of videos I've seen of a well known tubist playing a yamayork, playing the first valve slide like a trombone.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

lowbrassmaniac wrote:When you see the player pulling and moving more 1st valve slide than a trombonist playing Kid Ory's creole trombone..it's "difficult" to see it as a viable option.
Obviously a fellow hater!!

:tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
EdFirth
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EdFirth »

I don't believe in "point and shoot" intonation. Some horns are better in tune than others but pegging a tuner is just the beginning. I see it as not so much "I'm in tune" as "Am I in tune with what's going on around me". Trumpets pretty much all come with a saddle on the first valve slide and I don't think it's just for decoration. Using the first slide to adjust brings your ear into the equation because you're fine tuning every note to Your satisfaction. You can put it right where you hear it, not "It's in tune on my tuner so they can just tune to me"...and I've run into many who subscribe to that school of playing. It also helps to stick with a horn for a couple of years rather than a couple of months, or weeks, to figure it out.FWIW, Ed
The Singing Whale
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ace »

Joe, thanks for that link to La Rosa and Sugiyama. That is incredible playing and the finest of musicianship. I heard both of these players when I attended the National Brass Ensemble concert in northern California a few years ago. The tuba players were a dream combination of Sugiyama, Pokorny, and Roylance.

Ace
Dan Tuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Dan Tuba »

Your remark is not an uncommon one when I bring up yet another (annoying posted-by-bloke) "tuning" thread. In fact, one or more members offer a similar comment nearly every single time,
but if it requires herculean efforts for me to keep a particular tuba between the shoulders of the superhighway of "equal temperament", how can I expect to steer that same tuba between the ditches found on either side of the curvy/hilly narrow/hazardous roads of "others' concepts of (or others' lack-of-paying-much-attentio
Maybe for some people, it doesn't really require "Herculean efforts" to master a particular tuba's intonation "shortcomings"
Conn 25J
Holton 3+1 "Monster" EEb
Wessex XL
Giddings and Kelly Mouthpieces