Best way to train no pressure in Extreme High Range Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Re: Best way to train no pressure in Extreme High Range

Postby timothy42b » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:06 am

bloke wrote:Rafael Mendez was the original "no pressure" guy, and hanging a trumpet by a string was originally his gimmick.

I hope I spelled his name correctly...I'm going to post without googling.

That looks close enough for classical.

I played with him twice back in the early 70s when he did a lot of high school and small town concerts. He was not a no-pressure player from what I remember though I suppose he did the trick on occasion.
timothy42b
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:08 pm

I'm not refuting you here at all...
Even if some intimate "buddy" of his, how could they - really - know...??

...but this is the sort of thing that was spread around, when his name was mentioned in the past:

In paragraph 5, Ronald E. Dishon wrote:What he was about to demonstrate was non-pressure blowing. Most student trumpet players press the mouth piece somewhat hard against the lips to make the sound come out of the horn. What he demonstrated to me was that this method was not necessary to make a solid tone emanate from the trumpet. So he asked me to now try his method. Of course, I had lots of difficulty making a strong sound, but got the idea that he was trying to show me. He then placed the trumpet once again in the wire hooks suspended from the ceiling and asked me to try to play a note not touching the horn with my hands, but only with my lips.The trumpet went swing back and forth, every which way, for I lacked the ability to smoothly control my embouchure. After my attempt, he then told me to go practice all that he had taught me. Before leaving, I thanked him many times during that short stay for his kind and gentle instructions. After we were through, he went back to blowing low notes, some loudly, some quietly, from this trumpet suspended in air, never touching it with his hands.

Whether-or-not completely true, I doubt there was any Dishon-esty involved. :P
http://abel.hive.no/trumpet/mendez/meet ... ishon.html
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby timothy42b » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:47 pm

There are a lot of stories about him, I wouldn't want to dispute any of them. A couple of people have told me he could play with the mouthpiece anywhere on his chops. I've heard he rebuilt his embouchure a couple of times after accidents, and various people are alleged to have helped him.

When I met him I was way too inexperienced to be a good observer of pressure or much of anything else. I did ask him about how his incredible projecting tone, and he said he worked on tapering a note down to nothing. I didn't understand that but that's all I got.
timothy42b
bugler
bugler

Postby timothy42b » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:13 pm

Home video of Rafael:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ewzmfzlzXQ

One note per day.
timothy42b
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:22 pm

I would wager that over 99% of all trumpet players today are not aware of the existence of these:

http://bachstrads.com/Mendezi.JPG
bloke

Postby Roger Lewis » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:43 am

Or..... you could try one of these.....

https://www.thomann.de/gb/stoelzel_meth ... 3bdc988efb

Roger
"The music business is a cruel and shallow trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson
Roger Lewis
pro musician
pro musician

Previous

Return to TubeNet