Yfb 621 valve mod

The bulk of the musical talk
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Yfb 621 valve mod

Post by MikeMason »

I’m really enjoying my new f tuba. As always though, there are some tweaks and mods that need doing. ( side note- this is a good reason to buy used from a pro,even if at a slight premium. Horns tend to be really well set up. Thanks again Rich Serpa for the beautifully set up wisemann.) I’m having some wrist tension and do have plans to have thumbring and paddle moved. The valves have the yam euph Springs, but due to small valve size to spring tension ratio, I guess, are still quite heavy to push. Normally i like it this way with quick return and low bounce-back. My wisemann is this way. But with weird wrist angle, I’m thinking a lighter push would help. So far my local tech has snipped two loops from the spring and this helped. Any light caps or stems out there to fit this horn? I know there are a lot of these horns out there. Open to suggestions or experiences of other owners.
Pensacola Symphony
Troy University-adjunct tuba instructor
Yamaha yfb621 with 16’’ bell,with blokepiece symphony
Eastman 6/4 with blokepiece symphony/profundo
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Yfb 621 valve mod

Post by bisontuba »

MikeMason wrote:I’m really enjoying my new f tuba. As always though, there are some tweaks and mods that need doing. ( side note- this is a good reason to buy used from a pro,even if at a slight premium. Horns tend to be really well set up. Thanks again Rich Serpa for the beautifully set up wisemann.) I’m having some wrist tension and do have plans to have thumbring and paddle moved. The valves have the yam euph Springs, but due to small valve size to spring tension ratio, I guess, are still quite heavy to push. Normally i like it this way with quick return and low bounce-back. My wisemann is this way. But with weird wrist angle, I’m thinking a lighter push would help. So far my local tech has snipped two loops from the spring and this helped. Any light caps or stems out there to fit this horn? I know there are a lot of these horns out there. Open to suggestions or experiences of other owners.

Move the thumb ring. Years ago, I had one and my arm/ elbow got so sore, I went to P.T. Finally moved the thumb ring, and all arm pain gone...
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MikeMason »

Using maw valves in the wisemann, pretty heavy. Did they make a huge difference?, no, but some, and they’re paid for :D
Pensacola Symphony
Lectron
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Lectron »

bloke wrote:Seriously, Wisemann pistons are not particularly heavy - at least, not when compared to German-made ones.

...no judgemental ism here...only a comparison report
How much weigt saving on MAW compared to std. German valves?
Melton 200 -=- Melton 2141 -=- Cerveny 883 Opera -=- Besson 992 -=- MPCs: 3pcs steel (Sellmansberger/Parker)
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Alex C »

I love the Yamaha YFB621, it's a bit small but works great for a lot of things a tuba does. I always removed the thumb ring entirely. I've owned about 8 of them and regret selling every damn one.
City Intonation Inspector - Dallas Texas
"Holding the Bordognian Fabric of the Universe together through better pitch, one note at a time."

Practicing results in increased atmospheric CO2 thus causing global warming.
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MikeMason »

Removed because of wrist issues? And that solved it? Easy enough to try.
Pensacola Symphony