Sellmansberger tuba mouthpiece in Europe?!? Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Sellmansberger tuba mouthpiece in Europe?!?

Postby kontrabasstuba » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:41 am

Hi everybody,
does anyone know where I can try the sellmansberger tuba mouthpieces in Germany or Europe? Thanks for your help. :tuba:
kontrabasstuba
bugler
bugler

Re: Sellmansberger tuba mouthpiece in Europe?!?

Postby Peach » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:36 am

Don't think there is a dealer.
Suggest looking out for used models here or similar and buying/trying. If you don't like them, sell them on for the same sort of €€€
Rims, you should be able to make an educated guess on =)
Great mouthpieces, and so are the Parkers. Good amount of interchangeability across the range. Good luck!
Peach
Peach
4 valves
4 valves

Postby bloke » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:37 am

I'm seeing under-$400 USD round trip airfare from Frankfurt to the D.C. area around the time of the Army Conference. There is no cost to attend the Conference. Please come ! :D
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby TheBerlinerTuba » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:32 pm

Hallo Kontrabasstuba
Falls Du irgendwann in Berlin bist, könntest Du bei mir ein paar ausprobiern. Handwerklich top und funtionieren für die meistens Tuben sehr gut.
TheBerlinerTuba
TheBerlinerTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Postby bloke » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:14 pm

One-way postage is probably close to $25 usd/USPS
I would consider a return, were I to not
- be expected to cover those (round-trip) postage costs.
- be asked to pay duty on something (well...) that I already own.

You're welcome to call and talk.
I can offer quite a few words (hopefully, towards understanding/clarification) in a phone call that would require otherwise dozens of emails.
The only inconvenient thing being that I'm often the most available to chat on the phone (except for weekends, when I may be playing somewhere) between 2 A.M. and 4 A.M. (German time).
bloke

Postby Dubby » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:00 pm

I’m also in Germany, near Nürnberg. You’re welcome to come try mine if you’d like. I’ll also be back in the states next week until Jan. 5th, and would be willing to proxy for you if you figure out what you’d like. A mouthpiece would be pretty easy to bring back when i return.
King Frankenhorn 2341
Dubby
bugler
bugler

Postby kontrabasstuba » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:18 pm

Thanks for all the answeres.
Yes i would like to come the Army Converence!
kontrabasstuba
bugler
bugler

Postby kontrabasstuba » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:21 pm

Dubby, i'm looking one for a big 6/4 Miraphone Hagen. My mouthpiece has a big bore sice. 9mm and the inner rim are 33 mm. Big for big ;-)
Did Sellmansberger made so big mouthpieces?
kontrabasstuba
bugler
bugler

Postby Mark Finley » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:24 pm

I tried my Symphony Mouthpiece with a Hagen last February and it was a glorious experience. I would start there if I were you
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby kontrabasstuba » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:35 pm

Hi Mark,
The name for the mouthpice are Symphony?
I take a look on the webside! Thank's for your answere ♪♫♪
kontrabasstuba
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:50 pm

Mark Finley wrote:I tried my Symphony Mouthpiece with a Hagen last February and it was a glorious experience. I would start there if I were you

Not to disagree at all, but the combination of the Orchestra Grand cup (only slightly different from the Symphony cup) and a Symphony shank back-bore (which is compatible) often offers good results with very large tubas (and, often, with a slight amount of added clarity).
bloke

Postby Mark Finley » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:52 pm

It's true I didn't have an orchestra grand to play as a comparison, but I did compare those two with my cerveny 601, (also a very large tuba) and I wound up picking the symphony.

I'm sure they both would do a great job
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby apkujala » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:27 am

I can soon say how Symphony+Symphony combination works on my Nirschl Kaiser. Maybe even tomorrow!!

Took about 3 weeks for the box to come here and tax+toll was around 90e for my 2 rim and one cup (and shank) combination.
apkujala
bugler
bugler

Postby Dubby » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:36 am

Can’t help you with choosing a mouthpiece for a Hagen as I’ve never played one, but I’ve been very happy with my Symphony+Symphony on all of the horns I’ve played. I’ll double check later what size my rim is too.
King Frankenhorn 2341
Dubby
bugler
bugler

Postby kontrabasstuba » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:36 am

Thank's for helping me. I look forward to hear with combination are you use!
kontrabasstuba
bugler
bugler

Postby Dubby » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:36 am

Just checked. The rim on mine is the #2 33.2mm.
King Frankenhorn 2341
Dubby
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:48 am

Dubby wrote:Just checked. The rim on mine is the #2 33.2mm.

There are several rim styles, and all of them (while retaining their rim widths and rim contours) are available in various "large circle" sizes - with various embouchure openings inside.

Just as one example, the #2 rim profile is available with a 32.3mm opening, a 32.6mm opening, and a 33.2mm opening, with the rim's width and profile never changing.

If those interested in purchasing Sellmansberger mouthpieces consult/inquire and do business - specifically - with me (Joe Sellmansberger / Mid-South Music, Inc. in Tennessee), I'm very willing to take the time to talk (5 - 10 - 30 minutes...whatever) and make every attempt to make the FIRST thing that I send to you be the mouthpiece (or part) that - most likely - will make you the most happy. Back-and-forth emails work as well, but I can talk faster than I can type. :| I'm also willing to take stuff back (after a brief trial), and - sometimes - I explain to potential customers (rather than selling them something they are not seeking) that my products may not (??) serve their needs. As a couple of examples, none of my cup styles are so-called "Helleberg" cup styles, and none of my throat openings (though I offer and personally-use a superior solution to that which extra-extra large throats attempt to accomplish) are oversize/extra-extra-large. The four cup styles I offer (which can each - potentially - be extended in height, via cup extender rings or "Profundo" height rims) are the four cup styles that I personally use with various instruments that I own. The selection of back-bore tapers combined with various exterior shank sizes is legion, but (again) a phone call (or, OK, a series of emails) will zero in on a combination of parts (usually) within 2 - 5 minutes of real-time conversation.

funny thing that recently happened:
A customer bought a mouthpiece combo that is nearly universally popular with their make/model of instrument. They tried it for three or four days, returned it, and I promptly refunded their money. They then had someone repair their instrument, tried the very same combination again (a mouthpiece that belonged to a nearby friend of theirs) and ordered the same thing from me again.
Over the years, (not counting when I've sent off a pre-paid "selection", knowing ahead of time that some of the parts would be returned) I've probably taken back four or five mouthpieces, and done a dozen or so rim or back-bore exchanges. Most of those few returns, seemingly, have been from Helleberg (mostly, small Helleberg...i.e. "II") disciples.

Finally, I've been asked (over-and-over) about "one-piece" or "silver plated brass".
OK...
- If a hundred one-piece mouthpieces are made, Which rim? Which throat? Which back-bore? Which shank size? (yeah...I know: "the one ~you~ like" :lol: )
(I'm not going to have 1200 different one-piece silver-plated brass mouthpieces manufactured.)
- If silver-plated brass, then there are is the plating nuisance, the storage/tarnish issues/fingerprints/goofy have-to-be-redone plating jobs, the scuffing that occurs during trials (which would necessarily, then, require a restocking charge or no-return policy), and (well) greatly-reduced rim durability. I'm not going to argue with those who believe that "material" or "mass" effect the resonance qualities of a mouthpieces. I'm perfectly happy for customers who are attracted to massive silver-plated brass mouthpieces (if those features - for those customers - are more important than are specific interior contours) to purchase them from those who offer them for sale. At $250/complete mouthpiece, I'm certainly not looking to corner the tuba mouthpiece market.
- To those in other countries: If your governments are charging you draconian fees to purchase my products, that's something well beyond my control.
Last edited by bloke on Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
bloke

Postby Three Valves » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:29 am

I bet you never tire of people who have never run a business telling you how to run yours!!

:roll:

:lol:
Who needs four valves??

Mack Brass Artiste
MackBrunner 210L
Bach 12
Kelly 18
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:35 am

Three Valves wrote:I bet you never tire of people who have never run a business telling you how to run yours!!

:roll:

:lol:

I have one combination boss/employee/*customer: Mrs. bloke
Her input is quite enough, thanks. :lol:

Postby apkujala » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:48 am

Even with Finnish postal service in christmas traffic, I managed to get the mouthpiece.
Remebered wrong the cup and shank, theyre both grand not symphonic. And now I have to wait for tomorrow to get to test them...
Rims were HLB2 33,5mm and TJ33,35mm.

Was extremely lucky with TJ, looking at the rim picture I thought TJ could be good for me even if the measures looked 'bit smaller' but it wasn't available on h-kote when I was making an order and luckily it was on sale in stainless.

Fast testing with mpc only feels good but can't say anything before I try with the tuba.
apkujala
bugler
bugler

Next

Return to TubeNet