Tuba Rest Question

The bulk of the musical talk
williamp
bugler
bugler

Tuba Rest Question

Post by williamp »

I left my Baltimore Brass tuba rest in a local public library room and unfortunately it wasn't there when I returned (I'm curious what the new owner will be using it for). This model tuba rest worked well for my 5/4 GR55, whereas another similar model wasn't strong enough to support the weight of that horn without the rest gradually lowering from the selected position. Soon I will have a large Martin/Buescher BBb that Martin Wilk is just about finished building. He describes it as being "a very heavy tuba." I'm concerned that if I replace the rest with the same model, I may have the problem with the sinking horn again. Has anyone used this Yamaha stand?
https://www.ebay.com/i/112768507601?chn=ps" target="_blank" target="_blank
It looks solid, though expensive. Or has anyone used the Baltimore Brass rest with a particularly heavy 6/4 horn with good results?

Thanks
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Tuba Rest Question

Post by Ken Crawford »

I've used the BBC rest with multiple 6/4 tubas with great success. It's the best.
scottw
5 valves
5 valves

Post by scottw »

At that ridiculous price, it should play the horn for you, with an all-world sound to boot.
Get the BBC stand for less than half that and smile.
Bearin' up!
williamp
bugler
bugler

Post by williamp »

I've used the BBC rest with multiple 6/4 tubas with great success. It's the best.
Thank you. That was the response I was hoping to hear. Will replace what I had.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

williamp wrote:.... Has anyone used this Yamaha stand? https://www.ebay.com/i/112768507601?chn=ps" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank It looks solid, though expensive. .... Thanks
Yeah... Yamaha introduced a series of 'stadium stands' a few years back that had some pretty stiff prices and ended up practically giving them away.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
adsteve
bugler
bugler

Post by adsteve »

I used a BBC with a large 4/4 along with slinging my arm over the top bow (I'm no light weight) and I never had an issue with the stand sinking.
Patrase
bugler
bugler

Post by Patrase »

I recently bought a Tuba Essentials stand. VERY expensive (especially when it includes shipping to Australia and our unfavourable exchange rate). But after rehearsing 2 &1/2 hrs on Friday then 6 hrs Saturday and 5 hours on Sunday I feel like it has already earned its keep. It was so nice playing a tuba 'hands free.' No back, arm or neck pain. You may have to talk to them before you order. The model I had fitted a compensating Eb tuba perfectly. But wouldn't fit a Compensating Bb tuba. So if it's a big tuba you should talk to them.

People will scoff at the price. Think of it as the cost of two mouthpieces.
Last edited by Patrase on Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Miraphone Norwegian Star
Yamaha YBB-632 Bb Neo
funkcicle
3 valves
3 valves

Post by funkcicle »

I have a piggyback question on this topic that I've frequently wondered about- can any of the currently available tuba stands be expanded high enough to play in a standing position? I've not seen this discussed in any of the ad copy nor pictured in any of the stock photos, and I haven't seen enough pictures of these things in action to understand the ergonomics.
scottw
5 valves
5 valves

Post by scottw »

funkcicle wrote:I have a piggyback question on this topic that I've frequently wondered about- can any of the currently available tuba stands be expanded high enough to play in a standing position? I've not seen this discussed in any of the ad copy nor pictured in any of the stock photos, and I haven't seen enough pictures of these things in action to understand the ergonomics.
My old K&M stand would extend higher for standing play. I [or another player] was always tripping over the huge legs and the weight was too much to carry every day, so I got rid of it for the BBC stand. I will say it was rugged, though.
Bearin' up!
rodgeman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by rodgeman »

I use a drum stool. If it will hold a person.
aqualung
bugler
bugler

Post by aqualung »

I had to play a behemoth Besson 993 for one concert with the Illinois Brass Band. I am short-waisted, and couldn't reach the mouthpipe.
At the suggestion of a fellow player, I successfully used an inverted yellow 5 gallon plastic bucket masked with a dark towel.
Lars Trawen
bugler
bugler
Location: Former the cold Sweden, now enjoying the sun in Portugal

Post by Lars Trawen »

scottw wrote:My old K&M stand would extend higher for standing play. I [or another player] was always tripping over the huge legs and the weight was too much to carry every day, so I got rid of it for the BBC stand. I will say it was rugged, though.
Hi,
For standing play I use the K&M stand 14951 for my 6/4 Melton/MW 200.
Essentially it's the stand for sitting play but with a prolonged rod.
No problem, it's very sturdy. I'm 6'2" tall.
Picture on this link:
https://produkte.k-m.de/en/Stands-and-a ... tand-black
Good luck,
Lars
Last edited by Lars Trawen on Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
Melton/Meinl Weston 200 Spezial
scottw
5 valves
5 valves

Post by scottw »

Hi,

No problem, it's very sturdy. I'm 8'2" tall.

Good luck,
Lars[/quote]

That is 8 feet, 2 inches? WOW!
Bearin' up!
Lars Trawen
bugler
bugler
Location: Former the cold Sweden, now enjoying the sun in Portugal

Post by Lars Trawen »

scottw wrote:Hi,

No problem, it's very sturdy. I'm 8'2" tall.

Good luck,
Lars
Sorry, too late yesterday.
Now corrected to 6'2"
Lars
Melton/Meinl Weston 200 Spezial
Tubaryan12
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Tubaryan12 »

Dan Schultz wrote:
williamp wrote:.... Has anyone used this Yamaha stand? https://www.ebay.com/i/112768507601?chn=ps" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank It looks solid, though expensive. .... Thanks
Yeah... Yamaha introduced a series of 'stadium stands' a few years back that had some pretty stiff prices and ended up practically giving them away.
I purchased one recently. I had to switch a few of the arms around to work with the Marzan, but it will as long as I don't want to close the top mount. I don't trust it enough to leave the horn in it while unattended like I would with a Tuba Tamer, but for sitting and practicing, it's not bad....and a lot lighter than the Tuba Tamer...and easier to adjust for height.
Marzan BBb
John Packer JP-274 euphonium
King 607F
Posting and You