BB flat compensating tubas in north america

The bulk of the musical talk
eeflattuba
bugler
bugler

BB flat compensating tubas in north america

Post by eeflattuba »

How many of my tuba playing colleagues have one of these in their stable of tubas? In this part of the world they are as rare as hens teeth but across the pond they are the conta bass tuba of choice for most bands. I played many large tubas in my day[both cc and bb flat] and I have found that the 3 plus 1 compensators to be the most in tune tubas I have ever played.I know they can be an ergonomic nightmare to play but the sound that comes out of the bell is truly remarkable, and for me, that is the only thing that counts.Right now I own a 3 plus 1 Yamaha neo bb flat tuba and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Great sound and improved ergonomics make this a remarkable conta bass tuba.These type of tubas are not for everyone but they sure work for me.
Tom Mason
pro musician
pro musician

Re: BB flat compensating tubas in north america

Post by Tom Mason »

I have a Besson 3 valve compensator. Got it because of a hearing problem with me, but enjoy not having to pull/push slides as much as other horns. (I have the 17 inch bell)
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Sousaswag »

Personally I'm not a fan of 3+1 on tuba or even euphonium. Front action is more comfortable on my wrists. Not to mention the bell points in a more socially acceptable direction :D
Meinl Weston 5450RA Tuono
Willson 3200RZ-5
AndyCat
3 valves
3 valves

Post by AndyCat »

bloke wrote:
Tom Mason wrote:I have a Besson 3 valve compensator. Got it because of a hearing problem with me, but enjoy not having to pull/push slides as much as other horns. (I have the 17 inch bell)
These - imo (whether 3-valve comp. or four-valve comp. - made on Edgware St.) are the best.
I'd agree about the 3 valve. I prefer a Neo to a 4 valve Imperial though, both ergonomically and blowing wise. I'd put a 4v Imperial (or New Standard) 2nd to a Neo, but way aheadof anything else made since.
Andy Cattanach, UK
Fodens Band, Intrada Brass Ensemble.
Yamaha Neo BBb x 2 (2011 and 2016), B+H 3v Imperial BBb.
Yamaha YBL613H Bass Trombone.
Mercer and Barker MB5 Cattanach, Yeo Signature Mouthpieces.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

bloke wrote:
Tom Mason wrote:I have a Besson 3 valve compensator. Got it because of a hearing problem with me, but enjoy not having to pull/push slides as much as other horns. (I have the 17 inch bell)
These - imo (whether 3-valve comp. or four-valve comp. - made on Edgware St.) are the best.
+1!
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

is it just me or does this entire family of tuba, including YBB non-comps (maybe not Neo, to be fair), have an annoying flat middle Ab?
Jess Haney
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Jess Haney »

Our 994 that the band owns is a great instrument that does not get utilized often. It is stuffy but the tuning is great.
Brass Band Tacoma
Puget Brass
Willson BBb 3100 FA5
Willson Eb 3400 FA5

..and a miriad of other JUNK not worth mentioning.
Rebel
bugler
bugler

Post by Rebel »

I have an older Yamaha YBB-631 3+1 that is my ONLY tuba. I sold my Mirafone 186, which was smaller, but never seemed to be as "in tune". :tuba:
1990 Yamaha YBB-631 4/4 BBb Compensating Tuba
1995 Yamaha YEP-201 Euphonium
Conn 605 Trombone
Fretted and Fretless 5 String Electric Bass
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hup_d_dup »

eeflattuba wrote:How many of my tuba playing colleagues have one of these in their stable of tubas? In this part of the world they are as rare as hens teeth but across the pond they are the conta bass tuba of choice for most bands. I played many large tubas in my day[both cc and bb flat] and I have found that the 3 plus 1 compensators to be the most in tune tubas I have ever played.I know they can be an ergonomic nightmare to play but the sound that comes out of the bell is truly remarkable, and for me, that is the only thing that counts.Right now I own a 3 plus 1 Yamaha neo bb flat tuba and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Great sound and improved ergonomics make this a remarkable conta bass tuba.These type of tubas are not for everyone but they sure work for me.
I have a 4 valve front action compensating tuba (Besson 993) which has got to be more rare than a 3+1. Except in photographs, mine is the only 993 I have ever seen.

TheGoyWonder wrote:is it just me or does this entire family of tuba, including YBB non-comps (maybe not Neo, to be fair), have an annoying flat middle Ab?
On my horn the Ab in middle and upper octaves is slightly flat. I have considered shortening the first valve slide to adjust it on the fly. It wouldn't need much correction.

Jess Haney wrote:Our 994 that the band owns is a great instrument that does not get utilized often. It is stuffy but the tuning is great.
993 and 994 are different instruments, but I think they have a lot in common. As on all compensating instruments, there is more resistance when the fourth valve circuit gets in the the action. I wouldn't say my instrument is stuffy, it always seems to ask for a lot of air.

bloke wrote: As tubing back through the pistons on a compensating instrument multiple times, it's really easy for poor piston alignment (again, most often: washers that are too thick and/or too many) to screw up playability.
4 valves down means the air is entering or leaving a valve 14 times.

Hup
Do you really need Facebook?