Finger Buttons! Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted.

Re: Finger Buttons!

Postby Three Valves » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:44 pm

I'll tell you what's annoying.

People, mostly younger people, :roll: that say "button" like it is two syllables.

"Buh-in"

Illiterates...
Who needs four valves??

Mack Brass Artiste
MackBrunner 210L
Bach 12
Kelly 18
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby YORK-aholic » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:48 pm

Three Valves wrote:"Buh-in"

Sorry, 2nd grade teacher here:

"Buh-in" has two vowel sounds, thus two syllables.

No offense intended, I'm just pushing your buttons. :evil:
Some old Yorks and Martins
YORK-aholic
4 valves
4 valves

Postby Three Valves » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:04 pm

I stand corrected...

I should have said, pronouncing it with two distinct syllables in an affected, 80s, Valley-Girl type way.

This phenomenon may be limited to the Northeast region of the USA...
Who needs four valves??

Mack Brass Artiste
MackBrunner 210L
Bach 12
Kelly 18
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby YORK-aholic » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:31 pm

Three Valves wrote:I stand corrected...

I should have said, pronouncing it with two distinct syllables in an affected, 80s, Valley-Girl type way.

This phenomenon may be limited to the Northeast region of the USA...

I know, I was just goofing around. Kind of like clam chowder right?
Some old Yorks and Martins
YORK-aholic
4 valves
4 valves

Postby roweenie » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:13 pm

At the risk of repeating myself :oops:

I'd say this button is a dead-ringer for your button....obtained from Hirsbrunner, via Bob Tucci (a Swiss company, just like Kurath/Willson), about 30 years ago (similar time-frame to the vintage of your Kurath horn).

An email to Herr Hirsbrunner in Sumiswald might (?) answer your question.

Just trying to help..... :tuba:

P.S. - I like this kind better, too, FWIW
"It ain't got no gas in it"
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Postby Three Valves » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:36 pm

YORK-aholic wrote:

I know, I was just goofing around. Kind of like clam chowder right?

That vernacular is even more isolated!!
Who needs four valves??

Mack Brass Artiste
MackBrunner 210L
Bach 12
Kelly 18
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:02 pm

bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby the elephant » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:06 am

roweenie wrote:An email to Herr Hirsbrunner in Sumiswald might (?) answer your question.

Still looking for a used set of these, but new would also work. Do you have contact information for Herr Hirsbrunner or Herr Kurath? Or the mysterious supplier you referenced in your earlier post? These used to be very easy to get with all the silly, pimped-out stones and pearls, etc. (which I really dislike most of the time). Mouthpiece express doe not sell them and apparently never did. Someone was, at least for a few years. It wasn't Dillon, was it? They were these exact, same buttons with *my* threading and not the B&S/MW TPI.

I think to get what I want I will need to have exact copies of mine made. I know several people make them. Has anyone here had a set made to their specs? Who did the work and how much did it cost?

I need to contact Martin Wilk and Dan Oberloh, I guess. So much money for such a simple (and normally inexpensive) thing, but I want what I want on my horns. And this is what I want. And I cannot find what I want for sale anywhere. Rats.
Click here for a look at the best 6/4 now on the market...
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby MaryAnn » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:01 pm

I suppose there is no access to a "real" machinist who could simply make you some? Not that they would be cheap.

I get it on the weight thing, especially how the spring pushes your finger up faster than you can, halving the effort (new concept, neat, never would have thought of it, but I play rotors like piano, works perfectly; whole finger whack, innate.) I am more comfortable with viola than violin because violin requires a physical delicacy that is difficult for me. I need more mass to whack around. Good luck on the buttons.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Postby Lee Stofer » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:30 pm

The Hirsbrunners generally had Bauerfeind pistons, which would differ from the Boehm & Meinl pistons from the late 1980's, which I consider to be some of the best pistons ever from Germany. Since Boehm & Meinl has been out of business for some time now, the prospect of finding new, or new-old-stock finger buttons from 30 years ago is not very promising.

One of my customers has an excellent piston tuba with Boehm & Meinl pistons, back when Walter Nirschl was doing excellent things there, and when the finger buttons got chewed-up beyond reasonable usability by the customer's skin acidity, I lightly chased the upper stem threads with an 8-32 tap, and installed a set of my finger buttons, which work perfectly on that tuba.

I have more of these finger buttons than I'll ever be able to use in my tuba production, so I'm going to offer sets for sale. They are available in raw brass, clear lacquered, gold-tint lacquered, silver plated or nickel-plated. The button is 25mm (.994") wide, with a 19.5mm (.780") pearl width, and the button is 6.5mm (.260") tall, thread size 8-32. This will fit Conn 5XJ, Getzen, pre-WWII Holton, Kanstul,new-style King, Olds, Reynolds, Stofer, and York tubas without modification, and many others with valve stem fitting. These finger buttons are comfortable, cosmetically appealing, and lightweight (although not faddishly so. . . . .)
Lee A. Stofer, Jr.
Lee Stofer
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Postby the elephant » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:20 am

Pics? I am a terrible finger button snob. ($1 to roweenie for that name.) Measurements don't say how they appeal to me, aesthetically. Most finger buttons are just like most shoes to my mind: butt ugly. So it is rare that I find something I really like. Both sets of my pistons are Nirschl-made, one from a 1990 B&M that Rusk grafted onto my Holton 345, the other being a 1989 set purchased by Herr Kurath to put on one of his excellent F tubas. They are physically identical and interchangeable, just that the 1990 set uses a slightly larger pearl and is silver plated, as you can see in the photos. They came from the same bench, whether Herr Nirschl made them for his valve sets or if he purchased them from some local supplier to put on this valves.

Either way, I think I will try to have them duplicated rather than embarking on some finger button odyssey that will lead to someone who passed away years ago with a story that the last set of four buttons was purchased two weeks before I contacted whomever, and these were the last in the whole world, isn't that a sad coincidence? HAHAHA!!!

Anyway, some photos of your buttons would be great, Lee, if you have the time to do so. I always like looking over the fine details of a horn, down to knurled parts and figurations on slide tubes. It is like a hobby of mine. A really lame hobby, to be sure, but interesting to *me* heh, heh, heh...
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby Daniel C. Oberloh » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:13 pm

Just need an idea of what you want and some lathe skills. ;)

D. C. Oberloh

Daniel C. Oberloh
pro musician
pro musician

Postby roweenie » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:27 pm

8) 8) 8) 8)

(where's the like button when you need it? :cry: )
"It ain't got no gas in it"
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Postby the elephant » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:10 am

I know exactly what I want, have great lathe skills, but no lathe. Not so simple as you think...
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby bloke » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:06 pm

I was able to acquire this picture of the Eastman 836 button.

Differences between these and (rare) oversize York buttons are apparent, but (compared to what comes out of eastern Europe) they are much closer in style to the oversize York buttons...and (possibly...??) they can be ordered, rather than tediously custom-made.

bloke

Postby the elephant » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:58 pm

Nothing like what I posted. Not what I want at all. Mine are not “York style” if that is what those are. They don’t look anything alike at all. But thanks.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby bort » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:05 pm

Did you ever get touch with Willi?
Willson 3050-RZ
^For sale! viewtopic.php?f=4&t=87580
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Postby the elephant » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:11 pm

bort wrote:Did you ever get touch with Willi?

Nope. Been way too busy. I am also starting a nine day run of rehearsals and gigs tonight, so this will have to wait a bit. I think I may send one to Mr. Wilk to see if he would be willing to copy mine exactly and how much he would charge for that service.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby bloke » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:36 pm

the elephant wrote:Nothing like what I posted. Not what I want at all. Mine are not “York style” if that is what those are. They don’t look anything alike at all. But thanks.

Dan's are York-style.
I believe you're scoring higher than I am:
- You want something I don't have. (23 points)
- I don't want anything, but I do own tubas which have been dismissed. (11 points)
bloke

Postby the elephant » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:53 pm

bloke wrote:Dan's are York-style.

I don't like them, either. Not the same as mine, which I greatly prefer. It is a style. I understand some may not see the differences as important. And I can tell that when I see their horns: I don't like them. :shock:

They probably don't like mine, or, more likely, they just do not see the differences.

But they don't have to play on my horns. I do.

Poke fun all you like. I hate ugly-assed finger buttons. I won't have them on my horns if it is possible to avoid them. Brace foot details matter to me. Knurling matters. Ferrules matter. Figurations matter. I detested the buttons on my Yamaha. They were ugly AF, brother. Ugly AF. :lol:
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

PreviousNext

Return to TubeNet