POLL: mouthpipe position issues Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Should I...

remove, anneal, re-bend, re-install, and re-round the mouthpipe tube?
15%
add 1-1/2 inches of tubing to the small side of my main tuning slide (raising up the entire valveset), and remove the equivalent amount of length from the tuning slide ferrules?
5%
reposition my own legs (which the support tuba) only three inches apart, so the the mouthpiece lines up perfectly with my mouth ?
80%

Total votes : 20

POLL: mouthpipe position issues

Postby bloke » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:45 pm

I've found that the mouthpiece receiver on my F tuba is about 1-1/2 inches too low, and I have to tilt forward or slouch in order to play.

I'm going to put the TNFJ to work here to solve my problem with a POLL! :shock:
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Re: POLL: mouthpipe position issues

Postby Dan Schultz » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:23 pm

You really need a fourth option.... buy a tuba rest.

I spent ten years moving mouthpipes on my earlier tubas until I discovered the ease of just using a tuba rest.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Bohm & Meinl helicon, Marzan euph, King 2341, Alphorn, etc.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Postby MEWienand » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:06 am

Tuba rest, set it and forget it.
I am 6'5" and Play principal Eb in a Brass band, Our Principal Bb is 6'10" We both use a tuba rest now and it is pure bliss. We laugh at how much of a difference it has made.
Mark Wienand
Willson 3400TA Compensating Eb Bass
Willson 2900 Euphonium
Besson 2056 Prestige Baritone
Illinois Brass Band
LGBA Brass
MEWienand
bugler
bugler

Postby hup_d_dup » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:15 am

A tuba rest gives you the height you want, but not necessarily the angle.

Hup
Facebook is your friend, your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Postby Big Francis » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:22 am

I had the mouthpipe on my 2155 bent up and out a bit for the same reasons. It's much more comfortable playing. There is a small pinhole leak where it was bent, but it's not going to break my heart to have it replaced with a 45slp-size mouthpipe sooner rather than later.
Big Francis
bugler
bugler

Postby Casca Grossa » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:55 am

You can't plat a Monette mouthpiece in your current situation
Mack-a-clone 186 "Chairman Mao"
Blokepiece Imperial #2 Fair Dinkum Profundo Rim
Lignatone Eb "Charlene"
Blokepiece Solo
Why have 3 valves when you can have 6 and a main tuning slide kicker???
Casca Grossa
4 valves
4 valves

Postby bloke » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:09 am

Casca Grossa wrote:You can't play a Monette mouthpiece in your current situation

bingo.

:arrow: Casca Grossa has rooted out yet another bloke troll post.

</troll>
With absolute success, I've been placing my legs close together to play this instrument for the past 35 years...occasionally, I will slightly lean forward, but usually I use for former strategy. Both are comfortable.
I'm built one way, and - pretty much - can find a way to comfortably hold/play most (not every single) tuba when combining leg spacing and instrument tilt. Top-action 3+1 tubas, typically, are rested on my left thigh.
Curiously, some of the few "instruments which cannot be comfortably set on the legs and played" overlap with the grouping of "instruments which aren't very good anyway".

It does restore my faith in tubamanity that the majority who participated (prior to the troll having been outed) chose the third choice.
bloke

Postby Three Valves » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:14 am

I don’t have buns of steel like you do, so I use a playing stand/tuba rest!!

:tuba:
Who needs four valves??

Mack Brass Artiste
MackBrunner 210L
Bach 12
Kelly 18
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:17 pm

I think (??) it's actually the muscles on the insides of the thighs which are used to "lock" the the thighs in position.
Those are probably some of the weakest leg muscles with most people, and exercising them is awkward - yet possible.
bloke

Postby windshieldbug » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:26 pm

bloke wrote:it's actually the muscles on the insides of the thighs which are used to "lock" the the thighs in position.

Found that out the sore way when recovering from my crash! :D
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Postby timothy42b » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:27 pm

bloke wrote:I'm built one way, and - pretty much - can find a way to comfortably hold/play most (not every single) tuba when combining leg spacing and instrument tilt.

Yup. Two people can be the same height, but one have long legs and short torso, the other the opposite. They may need different approaches.
timothy42b
3 valves
3 valves

Postby Casca Grossa » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:44 pm

bloke wrote:
Casca Grossa wrote:You can't play a Monette mouthpiece in your current situation

bingo.

:arrow: Casca Grossa has rooted out yet another bloke troll post.

</troll>
With absolute success, I've been placing my legs close together to play this instrument for the past 35 years...occasionally, I will slightly lean forward, but usually I use for former strategy. Both are comfortable.
I'm built one way, and - pretty much - can find a way to comfortably hold/play most (not every single) tuba when combining leg spacing and instrument tilt. Top-action 3+1 tubas, typically, are rested on my left thigh.
Curiously, some of the few "instruments which cannot be comfortably set on the legs and played" overlap with the grouping of "instruments which aren't very good anyway".

It does restore my faith in tubamanity that the majority who participated (prior to the troll having been outed) chose the third choice.

Thanks for rooting out my spelling error. Wasn't wearing my bifocals. So did I win a free sammich? Never stop trolling. One of the best things on this site.
Mack-a-clone 186 "Chairman Mao"
Blokepiece Imperial #2 Fair Dinkum Profundo Rim
Lignatone Eb "Charlene"
Blokepiece Solo
Why have 3 valves when you can have 6 and a main tuning slide kicker???
Casca Grossa
4 valves
4 valves

Postby Three Valves » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:57 pm

bloke wrote:I think (??) it's actually the muscles on the insides of the thighs which are used to "lock" the the thighs in position.
Those are probably some of the weakest leg muscles with most people, and exercising them is awkward - yet possible.

Don’t make me post the link of that chick crushing watermelons again!! :shock:
Who needs four valves??

Mack Brass Artiste
MackBrunner 210L
Bach 12
Kelly 18
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Dan Bradley » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:11 pm

I agree that a tuba stand is ideal. I think modding the horn should be a last resort. Another option is to get a horn that fits you better. I get where you're coming from; I hate horns that are not ergonomic. I had a Hirsbrunner CC where some giant had owned it in the past and moved the leadpipe up 3 inches. When I got it, the receiver hit me in the forehead. I HAD to use a stand. Even setting on the chair was too high. Good luck.

Dan Bradley
Dan Bradley
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:44 pm

not a troll:

I'm almost always perfectly comfortable doing this/that/the-other to hold tubas up to my face (including the tubas that I own), really don't care to drag along much of anything beyond "mouthpiece and oil", and tend to find stands-in-general as restrictive as many others seem to find them liberating.

the front-heavy compensating 3+1 Eb which is set up on my left thigh:

That thing usually sits there for about 1-1/2 hours straight on Saturday mornings until lunchtime, and I'm never any the worse for it. That having been said, I can sit as I please with no concerns about "looking past the instrument", because I know all the changes to all the songs that the bandleader ever calls up.

a couple of things:
- It's interesting how "tubas under 25 lbs." are easier to hold-and-play than are "tubas that nearly weigh 30 lbs."
- A great deal of stress - which is mistakenly credited to hand position, instrument position, or other factors (I believe, more than many players realize) - comes from overly-strong piston or rotor lever springs.
bloke

Return to TubeNet