early morning Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted.

Re: early morning

Postby bloke » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:22 am

Two large instruments (skinny tuba-like contraptions) must be checked over, packed, boxed, and labeled.
' must practice twenty-something pages of hard-(_!_) music (high G# buttons, and crap like that :roll: ) for a 2 P.M. rehearsal, which a 1:20 drive from here (packages to be shipped on the way to the rehearsal)...oh, and look at the score and write in accompaniment cues, as the accompaniment is somewhat nebulous.
Too much cimbasso-tweaking is increasing pressure from customers to get their broken instruments repaired.
' just finished first pint of coffee...just before hitting "Submit".
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby Donn » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:51 am

Voisi1ev wrote:Should I shave my mustache? Do I want to look like a doofus, or sound like a doofus?

Try clearing off a little notch in the middle, just enough that the middle of your upper lip peeks out and a hint of skin above it. No guarantees, either that it help playing or look acceptable.

Big news coming. Maybe. Probably months down the road. New day for tuba players, worth waiting for.

It's before 7:30, but not before first dose of coffee. Nothing before breakfast & coffee.
Donn
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Postby Mark Finley » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:32 am

Three Valves wrote:
Mark Finley wrote:... I'll put about 600 miles on my car.

Have you often been reimbursed more for mileage than for showing up to the gig??

I get paid pretty good, I can't complain. About 250 of that 600 is a side trip I'm taking during the symphony weekend, not job related.
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby Three Valves » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:51 am

bloke wrote:...increasing pressure from customers to get their broken instruments repaired.

I take it your customers don't have the interwebs to find out what you are really up to??

Especially that fat dimwit that drinks too much and smells so bad you are always talking about??

:shock:
Who needs four valves??

Mack Brass Artiste
MackBrunner 210L
Bach 12
Kelly 18
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:32 pm

Three Valves wrote:
bloke wrote:...increasing pressure from customers to get their broken instruments repaired.

I take it your customers don't have the interwebs to find out what you are really up to??

Especially that fat dimwit that drinks too much and smells so bad you are always talking about??

:shock:

I post an absurdly high quantity of posts...but I also type very fast...nearly as fast as speech... on a laptop (not one a phone).
I visit here several times a day - waiting for responses to emails related to work (sales/engagements/orders/placing orders/etc.) Since most people respond within a few minutes, as their phones have turned them into response-bots) I screw around here, fb, and other places waiting for responses.
bloke

Postby bloke » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:59 am

have missed two boat jobs due to orch. dress rehearsal and church gig rehearsal conflicts.
It will be good to get back to playing the compensating Eb tuba, seeing my buddies, and drinking some of that extraordinarily good coffee on that ship.
It's liberating to just play/sing "music/songs" and to get away from staring at horizontal lines/black dots and hand-wavers.
It's REALLY been raining (for months) and a huge rain overnight. I hope there are no flooded roads, today, between blokeplace and the foot of Beale Street.
bloke

Postby basslizard » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:21 am

Is it better to make a fresh half gallon of coffee or to continue to drink the full gallon that someone on the previous shift made but in no way made a dent in? I have two coffee cups in front of me, one insulated, and the other a traditional mug. There's a ball of yarn in the mug because I'm test-knitting a lace shawl for a designer. Is it still lunch if my meal break is at 4 am? I eat breakfast when I get home from work, and supper before I leave.

I want to buy a rigid heddle loom, but for the same cost, I could get a new leadpipe, one that would allow me to put my tuba on my shoulder when I stand to play instead of using the strap/belt across my back and shoulders. Of course, with a loom, I could weave a wide, sturdy strap to support my tuba when I'm standing to play. I could weave them in different colors for different occasions.
Old Ugly - a Jupiter JCP -384 tuba
Elkhart Conn 62H Bass Trombone
oboe
basslizard
bugler
bugler

Postby the elephant » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:37 am

I hate it when I have to get up at 7:00 but I wake up at 5:00 and cannot go back to sleep. Headed out to get McDonald's coffee, which I like quite a bit, thank you very much; large coffee, lots of half & half. I have a two hour drive up to a small high school where I will help with the final bits of contest prep. Contest is Thursday. I will likely get a second large coffee on the way out.

On the two hour drive back home tonight: coffee.

I must have it.
Click here for a look at the best 6/4 now on the market...
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby bloke » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:27 am

basslizard wrote:Is it better to make a fresh half gallon of coffee or to continue to drink the full gallon that someone on the previous shift made but in no way made a dent in? I have two coffee cups in front of me, one insulated, and the other a traditional mug. There's a ball of yarn in the mug because I'm test-knitting a lace shawl for a designer. Is it still lunch if my meal break is at 4 am? I eat breakfast when I get home from work, and supper before I leave.

I want to buy a rigid heddle loom, but for the same cost, I could get a new leadpipe, one that would allow me to put my tuba on my shoulder when I stand to play instead of using the strap/belt across my back and shoulders. Of course, with a loom, I could weave a wide, sturdy strap to support my tuba when I'm standing to play. I could weave them in different colors for different occasions.

Mrs. bloke weaves and spins...You should find her on fb - if you have an account. She has some pretty fancy spinning wheels, but just also acquired a (genuine / very-very old / working-condition...which is rare) "great wheel" as well.

Here are the "great wheel", one of her other spinning wheels, and three of her small/portable looms. (Thankfully, all the BIG looms - due to their size - stay in the "loom room".)

bloke

Postby Tom Mason » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:01 am

I don't want to hear your whining about early morning.......LOL

Up at 5:00 a.m. every day.
On the roads by 6:30 a.m.
Cup one and two on the road.......
Will see two or three drivers who want to pass in no passing zones and not stop at school buses picking up lids. Easy call to state troopers of deputies on the road.
School by 7:30 getting ready for the lovely job of teaching baroque music history to 7th graders who need to get a clue.....
Cup number three as I listen to Errol Garner doing classics.......
Third period at 10:00 and teaching a 9th grade convert from clarinet to tuba........
It only gets better as I get out of school at 3:00 just to discover that I'm on the rotation for afternoon/evening patrol duty....
Get home after midnight just to repeat.....
Tom Mason
pro musician
pro musician

Postby the elephant » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:45 pm

Tom Mason wrote:I don't want to hear your whining about early morning.......LOL

What time do you get to sleep at night?
Click here for a look at the best 6/4 now on the market...
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby TheTuba » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:27 pm

I sleep 10:30 PM to 4:00 AM

then back to studying..........
Still searching for a 8/4 EEb
I mean if you want to, you can buy me the tuba in my name :P
If you're selling a good BBb or CC 5/4 or large 4/4 with 5 valves in 2021 under 6,000, please, contact me!
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Postby Voisi1ev » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:42 pm

Tom Mason wrote:I don't want to hear your whining about early morning.......LOL

Up at 5:00 a.m. every day.
On the roads by 6:30 a.m.
Cup one and two on the road.......
Will see two or three drivers who want to pass in no passing zones and not stop at school buses picking up lids. Easy call to state troopers of deputies on the road.
School by 7:30 getting ready for the lovely job of teaching baroque music history to 7th graders who need to get a clue.....
Cup number three as I listen to Errol Garner doing classics.......
Third period at 10:00 and teaching a 9th grade convert from clarinet to tuba........
It only gets better as I get out of school at 3:00 just to discover that I'm on the rotation for afternoon/evening patrol duty....
Get home after midnight just to repeat.....

I'm always more appreciate of my teaching gig in that we don't have weird duties like working the ticket stand at athletic events or this patrol you speak of.
Voisi1ev
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:38 pm

I've always ~really~ admired Tom Mason, and have wished that I was more like him (harder working / more giving / more of a grown-up / more of a servant of others / etc.)
Tom has really rolled with the punches in his life, and has prevailed in spite of dealing with some tough things.
Once, I wasn't able to help him (back when I owned a brick-and-mortar store, and was so busy that I really couldn't even look after myself) and felt bad about it (still do). He actually offered me a really friendly smile when I - regretfully - turned him down.
When I've been able to, I've tried to do whatever I could for Tom, when he has asked.
bloke

Postby basslizard » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:36 am

bloke wrote:Mrs. bloke weaves and spins...You should find her on fb - if you have an account. She has some pretty fancy spinning wheels, but just also acquired a (genuine / very-very old / working-condition...which is rare) "great wheel" as well.

Here are the "great wheel", one of her other spinning wheels, and three of her small/portable looms. (Thankfully, all the BIG looms - due to their size - stay in the "loom room".)

In my current house, I do not have a loom room. I do keep my Minstrel wheel in the living room, along with a giant work basket of fiber and projects. My vintage wheel resides in the basement next to the television that I don't watch. Mr. basslizard asked me if the wheels were going to live in my sewing room. Silly man, that's where I keep things I'm not working on! It's a very small space in a very small house.
More coffee is needed to get through this shift. Now the question is whether or not to eat my last can of soup from my desk drawer or go to the all-night gas station for junk food. I sometimes bring my drop spindles to work for breaks in keeping telecommunication services up across the state.
Old Ugly - a Jupiter JCP -384 tuba
Elkhart Conn 62H Bass Trombone
oboe
basslizard
bugler
bugler

Postby Three Valves » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:05 am

When do you find the time to watch TV, play video games and fun stuff like that??

:roll:
Who needs four valves??

Mack Brass Artiste
MackBrunner 210L
Bach 12
Kelly 18
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Lee Stofer » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:25 am

Up at 5-somethingAM daily, no coffee, take an omeprazol so that in 30 minutes I can eat breakfast with Mrs. Stofer, who leaves for work at 6:40AM, then I head to the shop. Challenging rehearsal last night, neck pain this morning - not getting any younger, can still play well, but increasingly pay for it afterwards. Clean-up the shop a bit - Now a little chocolate, but no coffee - have had one cup in my life as a teenager, made me sick to my stomach, never again, not even through 22 years in the Army. Got to check on shipping to Alberta, Canada for a Schlipf mute - how much extra is that going to cost? Got to pack the euphonium to go to Florida, get it out this morning, then visit a local school. I hope that the school that I sold a reconditioned bari sax to is going to get their act together and pay within my lifetime - glad the teacher says the kids just love that horn. Want to get going on building Stofer CC tuba #4, but I accepted all these restorations that I now have to do - what was I thinking? Will pull out Rudy 3/4 CC to do restoration work on, satisfying to work on really good brass - Time to hit the chocolate again, as that is my only caffeine source. . .
Lee A. Stofer, Jr.
Lee Stofer
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Postby Doc » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:23 am

Random early morning tuba thoughts:

- I really enjoy playing F tuba. I really like my F tuba. I’m sure better are available, but I do like it.

- I still want a BART/BAT. Or both. Yes, I shall dream big today.

- I have always been aware that, while I take our craft seriously, I should never take myself too seriously. I never forget we are in the business of providing entertainment, be it an orchestra or a polka band.

- Why aren’t there more reviews of all the different models of tubas out there? And why are most of the reviews that exist (with some notable exceptions) done by players with shitty sounds? That doesn’t help at all, especially on the less-than-stellar Youtube format. I just received an mp3 via email from one of the Tubenet higher-ups demonstrating the recording ability of particular usb microphone. The short sample consisted of only a few notes across the range, however, the quality of the recording (and the fine sound of the player) was very good. Infinitely better than the quality of sound one can generally get from YouTube.
All that, plus $8.00, will get you a venti at Starbucks.
Or in my case, a large can of Folgers.
Doc
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Tim Jackson » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:27 am

thinking... maybe just 1-2 tubas! sad, but just want to spend time with the best of the lot. A sign of old age maybe. Sell some of the heard and maybe buy one more super tuba! Had a bad wedding/bride last week and a great wedding/bride this past weekend... woman! Actually not really a bad one in 20 years of gigging but last week bridezilla!

I love wedding receptions for my pop band$$ I remind myself - they fund my biz & tuba life!

More coffee... always get to take it easy on Monday & Tuesday!
Tim Jackson
bugler
bugler

Postby Tom Mason » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:52 am

I've always ~really~ admired Tom Mason, and have wished that I was more like him (harder working / more giving / more of a grown-up / more of a servant of others / etc.)
Tom has really rolled with the punches in his life, and has prevailed in spite of dealing with some tough things.
Once, I wasn't able to help him (back when I owned a brick-and-mortar store, and was so busy that I really couldn't even look after myself) and felt bad about it (still do). He actually offered me a really friendly smile when I - regretfully - turned him down.
When I've been able to, I've tried to do whatever I could for Tom, when he has asked.

I'm not as good as Joe says. I simply look for ways to work smarter, not harder.

I also believe that if you gripe about something, you need to be able to suggest a solution. My law enforcement job is an application to the theory that if I don't like how people act around me, then I need to legally be part of the solution. Joe works better, harder and like me, works for the love of music.
Tom Mason
pro musician
pro musician

PreviousNext

Return to TubeNet