TNFJ Question Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted.

Re: TNFJ Question

Postby MaryAnn » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:44 pm

Well....I seem to not be in the middle of the bell curve, as usual. My 32.5 mm rim only allows the very edges of my corners to be seen, so I am essentially free buzzing into the mouthpiece. I do not tire, and any applied pressure is on my bones, not my muscles, because of the size of the cup compared to my face, and therefore use basically zero pressure and rely on lip position. I do tire on other instruments with smaller cups (horn, cornet) because of the range required. If I tried to play that range on tuba, I'm sure I would tire. If I play tuba range on those instruments, such as euph on the Eb part in brass band, once again I do not tire. So....I'm not sure what is going on with those of you who tire playing the same range but on different cups. I do a mouthpiece based on the sound I get, and just stick with it until it works on a physical level.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Re: TNFJ Question

Postby Leland » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:11 pm

I've never changed mouthpieces to improve endurance.

What I wonder, though, is if the other mouthpiece introduces tuning errors, even if they're slight, that you're compensating for, which makes your face work harder.

Or maybe you're going for the same tone color as with the smaller mouthpiece, which means you have to play louder on the bigger one. I've switched to smaller mouthpieces to get a brighter sound for less effort, like a livelier solo sound or an easier blend with a quintet.
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Previous

Return to TubeNet