Mouthpiece for big bass sound on 822f

The bulk of the musical talk
bstevens
bugler
bugler

Mouthpiece for big bass sound on 822f

Post by bstevens »

Hi

I use a PT64 and a Bobo symphonic at the moment on my Yamaha 822F - just wondering if there are any specific recommendations for making the 822 as "C" as possible. The symphonic is great (not hugely in tune mind), but just wondering if there is a bigger piece that will be in tune and give a bigger breadth of sound.

Cheers
Bruce
--
Yamaha YFB-822F
1924 King Symphony 4v Sousaphone, 22" Bell
Cerveny F Helicon
Oldschooltuba
bugler
bugler

Re: Mouthpiece for big bass sound on 822f

Post by Oldschooltuba »

Hello Bruce,

I love my 822F. Its the F tuba that I wanted all my life. An instrument that I can pick up and play. It fits my concept of playing and sound. Some people may not like the instrument because it does not sound F enough. So for my symphonic and ensemble playing I use a Monette 94F prana. This mouthpiece was designed by Monette for F tuba. Even the shank is shorter, which is a Monette concept. This mouthpiece has great mass which I think adds to the huge sound the 822 already has. I go back and forth from my 6/4 York to my 822 with ease.

Monett's take a while to get used to, but worth the effort. Intonation is very good. I use a Monette 94 prana in my big horns with great success.

Lastly for solo playing I do use a different mouthpiece. Baer MMVI F. This is the titanium version. This metal allows a very thin shank that seems to transition into the horn very nicely. It responds perfect and is a smaller sound I want in solo literature.
Eric Hunter
http://www.tubaforum.net/index.php" target="_blank
186CC 5U (gone)
Rudy Meinl 5/4 CC (gone)
Silver CC Piggy (gone)
Meinl Weston F Model 45 (Gone)
B&S 5/4 CC Prototype
Yamaha 822F
York 6/4 CC (yes a real York BAT)
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

Don't believe the hype that you have to use an "F tuba mouthpiece" in an F tuba. I have no problem using my Laskey 30H on F tuba when I want a fuller sound.
smitwill1
bugler
bugler

Post by smitwill1 »

I almost hate to chime in—bloke’s offer sounds too good to follow, but fools rush in... And, since I play the same model and have gone down a similar path, here goes: I use a Miraphone TU-23 for “CC-like” tone color and a TU-13 for a more “F-like” color. Both have similar controllable intonation tendencies for the way I play. YMMV.
Levaix
bugler
bugler

Post by Levaix »

Do you like your PT 64? Try the PT/RT 65 or Canadian Brass MB 64. CB's website will have both and are a pleasure to work with. Both mouthpieces are in the same "family" of design as the PT 64 but take it in a little bit different direction. Both have a bigger sound, IMO. If those aren't big enough for you, honestly just try some contrabass mouthpieces. :P
bstevens
bugler
bugler

Post by bstevens »

Levaix wrote:Do you like your PT 64?
Thanks for that. Yes - I do like the PT64 - it works remarkably well with the 822 ... I do slightly prefer the tone colour of the Bobo Symphonic on my tuba and sousaphone and helicon weirdly ... but just wanted to see if there was anything bigger. Intonation on the 822 isn't great though - PT64 keeps it much more controlled, but doesn't have the breadth of sound - so I'll need to try some of these suggestions!
--
Yamaha YFB-822F
1924 King Symphony 4v Sousaphone, 22" Bell
Cerveny F Helicon
swillafew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by swillafew »

My Yamaha 67C4 was provided with the horn in the profile pic, and has worked like a champ in a PT-10 and also a Melton 182. According to Yamaha a close equivalent is a Miraphone C3.
MORE AIR
Mmarttila
lurker
lurker

Post by Mmarttila »

Yamaha YFB-822 is maybe the biggest sounding F-tuba in the market so you should not have problems to make it C-tubaish... The mouthpieces you’ve used so far have more or less bowm-shape cups (please correct me if I’m wrong) that give usually more brilliance and brightness to sound (what imo is not bad thing with YFB-822...) I would suggest to test same funnel-shaped/Helleberg-style mouthpiece, they should give you roundertone. There dowsens different ones, just pick the one that fits your shank and rim size preferences.
tubacorbin
bugler
bugler

Post by tubacorbin »

Take a look at the Dillon Olka B1. I believe Chris Olka plays an 822 (someone correct me if I'm wrong), and this is his new F tuba mouthpiece.

https://www.dillonmusic.com/dillon-musi ... thpie.html" target="_blank