Should I bring my new CC tuba to summer camp? Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted.

Re: Should I bring my new CC tuba to summer camp?

Postby bloke » Fri May 25, 2018 1:53 pm

barry grrr-ero wrote:I still disagree with this advice. It's not a question of 'can you do it', it's rather, 'should you do it'. CC tubas can so easily sound brighter and stick out in comparison to our BBb brethren. I frankly think that if you're going to be playing with BBb tubas (I'm making an assumption), you should look for a mouthpiece that will help you blend better, and not just be the 'hot shot' who sticks out. That's just one person's opinion, based upon my own experiences.

Also, you can stare at a meter all you want. That's not good intonation. You need to make your tone and tuning fit in with those playing around you, whether you think you're better than them or not. The conductor will be happier if you're not sticking out, or if there's an obvious discrepancy within the section. It's called making music. If you believe you can do all this on the fly, give it a shot. Personally, I'd wait.

Since we disagree, I'm going to label your post as "mocking", "mean-spirited", and "bullying". :P :lol: :wink:
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby swillafew » Fri May 25, 2018 3:34 pm

I learned to play CC tuba last year, and gave myself 6 months to get up to speed before I used it in a quintet.

Having said that, if I was the student going to camp, I would find a trumpet playing classmate and play with that person on my BBb until I was blue in the face, reading their music. After doing that for enough time, you will not feel so uncomfortable doing the fingerings.

If you want a music career, these are all skills you need. The treble clef, the transposing, the whole shebang. Have fun and go for it.
MORE AIR
swillafew
4 valves
4 valves

Postby bloke » Fri May 25, 2018 4:03 pm

Put up a jpg scan of the piece of music that you consider to be the most difficult one that you will play.

You can use http://www.imgur.com .

Does it more resemble Erickson's "Balladair", or Hindsley's transcription of Liszt's "Les Preludes" ?
bloke

Postby barry grrr-ero » Sat May 26, 2018 4:26 am

Bloke said: Since we disagree, I'm going to label your post as "mocking", "mean-spirited", and "bullying"

Actually Bloke, I was trying to be a bully first, then "mean-spirited", with "mocking" bringing up the rear to just mop up. How 'bout this: FATHEAD! :tuba:
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Postby bloke » Sat May 26, 2018 8:47 am

barry grrr-ero wrote:Bloke said: Since we disagree, I'm going to label your post as "mocking", "mean-spirited", and "bullying"

Actually Bloke, I was trying to be a bully first, then "mean-spirited", with "mocking" bringing up the rear to just mop up. How 'bout this: FATHEAD! :tuba:

I just clicked the little exclamation point thingie... :x
bloke

Postby barry grrr-ero » Sat May 26, 2018 8:09 pm

By the way, TubAnthony, the person who sold me my mouthpiece that really matches the the BBb players around me, is none other than Bloke! He knows his stuff.
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Postby bloke » Sat May 26, 2018 10:09 pm

barry grrr-ero wrote:By the way, TubAnthony, the person who sold me my mouthpiece that really matches the the BBb players around me, is none other than Bloke! He knows his stuff.

yeah...but you don't. :P Image

real comment: thanks! :oops:
bloke

Postby TubAnthony » Sat May 26, 2018 10:26 pm

TubAnthony wrote:I will be getting a BMB J-845SP around early June, which I am stoked about (it is currently getting its rotating leadpipe sautered on to be fixed before it is shipped); however, I also have two back-to-back summer camps I will be attending (IET Festival in Georgia and FSU's Chamber Winds Camp) not far after the tuba will arrive. My question is: should I dive head-on into these camps with the new tuba, with only around a week or two to try to learn the fingerings, or should I play it safe and continue playing my school's BBb?

So an update on what I think I'll do...
1) Take the CC if I feel as though I am prepared enough for the solo competition/recital they offer at the camp.

2) Practice the solos I am preparing for the solo competition for BBb just in case I end up not feeling good enough on the CC by the time camp rolls around.

3) Until the CC arrives, practice the solos on the BBb tuba with CC fingerings, but buzzing with a BERP (and a drone or recording) to lock in the mental link between buzzing old notes with new fingers.

4) Another option could be to take both tubas, although that would kind of be a hassle... I could bring the CC to most of the instructional time of the camp and then perform on BBb; however, I feel like switching between the two would be counterintuitive to me learning CC.
TubAnthony
lurker
lurker

Postby bloke » Sat May 26, 2018 10:29 pm

Make a TUNING CHART about two days after you spend two days playing the C tuba a whole bunch.
Learn it, create sensible strategies for addressing the issues, and do not overcompensate when putting your system into practice. :wink:
bloke

Postby TubAnthony » Sat May 26, 2018 10:30 pm

swillafew wrote:I learned to play CC tuba last year, and gave myself 6 months to get up to speed before I used it in a quintet.

Having said that, if I was the student going to camp, I would find a trumpet playing classmate and play with that person on my BBb until I was blue in the face, reading their music. After doing that for enough time, you will not feel so uncomfortable doing the fingerings.

If you want a music career, these are all skills you need. The treble clef, the transposing, the whole shebang. Have fun and go for it.

My sister plays trumpet; how convenient!
TubAnthony
lurker
lurker

Postby TubAnthony » Sat May 26, 2018 10:33 pm

bloke wrote:Put up a jpg scan of the piece of music that you consider to be the most difficult one that you will play.

Does it more resemble Erickson's "Balladair", or Hindsley's transcription of Liszt's "Les Preludes" ?

The two solos I have to prepare are:
Hartley - Suite for Unaccompanied Tuba
Lebedev - Concert Allegro
TubAnthony
lurker
lurker

Postby Ken Herrick » Sat May 26, 2018 11:19 pm

Maybe not totally relevant here but, here goes anyway.

When I was at NEC in Boston studying with Harvey I was using my King monster rotary BBb for everything. I badly needed to do some work on it so pulled it apart. I had not even touched a CC in a few years and had rarely "played" one more than a few minutes at a time for longer. Anyway, late in the day Harvey came down to my workshop/practice space in the basement. He had been booked for a recording session in Boston the next day but had to be in New York instead and had said he would send me along to the gig. He could see that I would not have my tuba ready to go so offered me one of his, a Conn 2J prototype.
Turned out to be a commercial with it being solo tuba with kit and vocal accomp. The only way to approach it was to play the damned thing. Made some good money for that gig and got more.

From then on I just chose between the little CC or the King depending on which I felt would be better for the job. Didn't worry about "learning CC" just got the brain engaged and did it. The "key" is: the fatty grey matter inside your skull is what drives things. Make up your mind to do it then JUST DO IT!
Free to tuba: good home
Ken Herrick
4 valves
4 valves

Postby barry grrr-ero » Sun May 27, 2018 4:52 am

TubAnthony, your plan sounds really well considered. My guess is that they're lucky to have you. Good luck.
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Postby Doc » Sun May 27, 2018 8:51 am

TubAnthony wrote:
bloke wrote:Put up a jpg scan of the piece of music that you consider to be the most difficult one that you will play.

The two solos I have to prepare are:
Hartley - Suite for Unaccompanied Tuba
Lebedev - Concert Allegro

These should be fairly easy on CC. No horrible fingerbusters here.
All that, plus $8.00, will get you a venti at Starbucks.
Or in my case, a large can of Folgers.
Doc
6 valves
6 valves

Postby darthminimall » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:44 pm

A lot of people have posted their feelings one way or another. I feel optimally geared to answer this question as a maximally ammeter tuba player. When I got my first CC horn, I played it everywhere I could, and I didn't regret it for a moment. That being said, it depends on your goal, as well as your playing style. If you're going to be playing very technical music, perhaps the horn you're most familiar with will have an advantage. If you're confident in you're ability to play whatever you'll be presented with, bring the new horn. I've always been more focused on tone quality, primarily, so my CC horn was, for me, an opportunity to figure out how to achieve the best sound possible on a different instrument, and I'm glad I dove in head first. That being said, it might be different for you. Think about what your goals are, then make a decision that is aligned with those goals.
Meinl Weston 2145 [FOR SALE]
Salvation Army 4 Valve Compensating Eb Tuba (probably made by Boosey and Hawkes c. 1950)
darthminimall
lurker
lurker

Postby Cobra1502 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:18 am

I am attending this session as well and have elected to NOT take my new Miraphone 191 even though it is a BBb like my older Yamaha 621. The reason is the fear of it getting damaged on the airplanes despite having a hard case. I even looked into buying an extra ticket so my tuba could sit beside me but his is not available on all airlines. I am not sure how you plan on getting to Atlanta but this is just one more consideration for you.
Queen City Brass Band
Miraphone Bb 191-5V
Yamaha Bb 621S
Yamaha Eb 321S
Cobra1502
lurker
lurker

Postby barry grrr-ero » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:54 am

. . . and a very wise decision. If you're going to risk getting your 191 damaged, you want that risk to be one that pays you in one form or another.

In addition, as mentioned here so many times previously, there's absolutely nothing wrong with being a BBb player. Since I do mostly band playing, I often times think of switching back. The ideal thing would be to own a good tuba in all four keys (plus euph' or tenor tuba, thus making five).
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Postby TubAnthony » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:19 pm

TubAnthony wrote:I will be getting a BMB J-845SP around early June, which I am stoked about (it is currently getting its rotating leadpipe sautered on to be fixed before it is shipped); however, I also have two back-to-back summer camps I will be attending (IET Festival in Georgia and FSU's Chamber Winds Camp) not far after the tuba will arrive. My question is: should I dive head-on into these camps with the new tuba, with only around a week or two to try to learn the fingerings, or should I play it safe and continue playing my school's BBb?

Update: the tuba has been shipped and will probably arrive Monday!! BEYOND stoked :D :tuba:
TubAnthony
lurker
lurker

Postby Doc » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:38 pm

TubAnthony wrote:

Update: the tuba has been shipped and will probably arrive Monday!! BEYOND stoked :D :tuba:

After all this advice, suggestions, discussion, angst, and excitement, you ARE going to post a detailed account of how it goes before, during, and after camp (accompanied by a review, video, and sound clips), AREN’T you?
All that, plus $8.00, will get you a venti at Starbucks.
Or in my case, a large can of Folgers.
Doc
6 valves
6 valves

Postby TubAnthony » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:03 am

Doc wrote:
TubAnthony wrote:

After all this advice, suggestions, discussion, angst, and excitement, you ARE going to post a detailed account of how it goes before, during, and after camp (accompanied by a review, video, and sound clips), AREN’T you?

Of course... Wouldn't have it any other way :)
TubAnthony
lurker
lurker

Previous

Return to TubeNet