Wessex Berg delivered Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted.

Re: Wessex Berg delivered

Postby Ken Crawford » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:05 pm

Congratulations on your new tuba. Getting a new shiny is always fun. I've played several Bergs. They have all been ________ __________. But, honestly, I __________ ___________. Wessex does __________ ___________ and I will ___________ ___________ ___________ ___________. I prefer __________ ___________ ___________ ___________.

I hope this __________ __________ anyone.
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Postby greenbean » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:13 pm

Exactly. Sorry for coming across as rude or mean-spirited. I meant to say this:

>> I played a Berg briefly. It was quite nice. But, honestly, I prefer Miraphones. :P

It was a dig at the (IMO) silly posts that ren made about Miraphones. It is like having a bad experience with a Toyota and warning everyone that Toyotas are junk. He seemed overly bent on bashing Miras.

That said, some folks like Miraphones - great - while other like MW's, Kings, B&S, Hirsbrunner, Wessex - great, too. You should play what you like! I recently picked up a B&S 3301 and I LOVE it. That is what I will be playing...

Again, sorry for ruffling feathers here.
-----
Holton bass trombones, B&S 3301 tuba
greenbean
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:13 pm

Tuba Godddhhh activated :twisted:
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby ren » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:24 pm

TubaKen wrote:
I played a Berg briefly. It was quite nice. But, honestly, I prefer Miraphones.

I actually chuckled when I read that. I don't think it was meant in a mean-spirited way at all, but merely a gentle dig at ren's earlier rant lambasting all Miraphones. Probably would have helped if greenbean had added a smile or laughing emoji:
I played a Berg briefly. It was quite nice. But, honestly, I prefer Miraphones. :lol

Sarcasm often doesn't come across well on the Interwebs, and can lead to misapprehending the other's attitude. Which i believe happened here.

I chuckled too.
ren

Postby ren » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:27 pm

Next topic: Dystonia!

Seriously just kidding.
ren

Postby Three Valves » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:17 am

I prefer my Mercedes, but my VW gets me to work just fine, thank you!!

:tuba:
Who needs four valves??

Mack Brass Artiste
MackBrunner 210L
Bach 12
Kelly 18
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:22 am

Three Valves wrote:I prefer my Mercedes, but my VW gets me to work just fine, thank you!!

then, There are the Mircedophone and the Volksl-Westgerman knock-offs.
bloke

Postby ren » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:42 pm

Doc wrote:Looks great. Let’s hear it!

Open to requests for what material to play on a youtube video, I will not be noodling at length, I will work up a song as best I can. (NOT a vocalise)

I'll save my "review" sort of thing for Wessex if theres anything that stands out.

FYI my girlfriend has named the berg: "tuba gooding jr."

So that name will stand as these things are not up for debate :tuba: :D
ren

Postby TheTuba » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:09 pm

ren wrote:
Doc wrote:Looks great. Let’s hear it!

Open to requests for what material to play on a youtube video, I will not be noodling at length, I will work up a song as best I can. (NOT a vocalise)

I'll save my "review" sort of thing for Wessex if theres anything that stands out.

FYI my girlfriend has named the berg: "tuba gooding jr."

So that name will stand as these things are not up for debate :tuba: :D

every kopprasch etude at 200 bpm (to a sixteenth note)
OR, Czardes at 300 bpm (to a eighth note)
jk :lol: :mrgreen:
Still searching for a 8/4 EEb
I mean if you want to, you can buy me the tuba in my name :P
If you're selling a good BBb or CC 5/4 or large 4/4 with 5 valves in 2021 under 6,000, please, contact me!
TheTuba
3 valves
3 valves

Postby the elephant » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:44 pm

Hungarian March?

Why not a vocalise? Those are some of the best test material you could use. Technique studies are not. Either the valves move quickly or they don't. You want to test the response and intonation throughout the range, you want to test the tone and how it does when played very loudly or softly. Some horns tend to lose center and drift sharp or flat if you do not support enough when playing very softly, some lock in much better than average. Everyone here will want to hear how you feel about the problem range (low Db, C, B and Bb). Stuff like that. Vocalises demonstrate intonation, response, and evenness of tone very well.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby bloke » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:42 pm

I'm not so sure that's a valid observation.

Rather than Bordogni, Concone, etc., fb has taught me that free compositions by masters such as Bil Smith (just as one example) offer far more ability to fully demonstrate one's full range of emotions through music.

I suppose a march would be OK...and perhaps even a vocalise...but please make sure that at least one Smith composition is included with the set of sound files that are offered forth for our review/approval.
bloke

Postby ren » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:10 pm

the elephant wrote:Hungarian March?

Why not a vocalise? Those are some of the best test material you could use. Technique studies are not. Either the valves move quickly or they don't. You want to test the response and intonation throughout the range, you want to test the tone and how it does when played very loudly or softly. Some horns tend to lose center and drift sharp or flat if you do not support enough when playing very softly, some lock in much better than average. Everyone here will want to hear how you feel about the problem range (low Db, C, B and Bb). Stuff like that. Vocalises demonstrate intonation, response, and evenness of tone very well.

Good ideas, but Im off orchestra excerpts for a while. Vocalises have kind of turned into slurring phrasing etudes with alot of opportunity to make music but not very challenging,
I would like to (if I can pull it off) make a video of something more solo-ish to show off the instrument since thats what I bought it for.

ren

Postby Doc » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:31 am

If it is request hour, how about some big band, dixieland, or jazz standards? Play some tunes.
All that, plus $8.00, will get you a venti at Starbucks.
Or in my case, a large can of Folgers.
Doc
6 valves
6 valves

Postby ren » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:48 am

as an orchestra inspired player that was never my forte although i appreciate the suggestion
not sure i could rock that perhaps that could be something to do with the berg to learn it though.
ren

Postby GC » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:42 am

Doc wrote:If it is request hour, how about some big band, dixieland, or jazz standards? Play some tunes.

I agree. A Real Fake Book or other chord chart book of jazz standards is useful for working on lyrical playing, jazz style, playing from lead sheets and chord charts, and other gig-worthy skills.
1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb; Denis Wick 3CC, 2CC; Bach 42B trombone; Ibanez SR-506 6-string bass, MarkBass 102P combo bass amp
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Postby ren » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:59 am

i wouldn't even know what to play from a fake book except when the saints go marching in
but could be fun

not DJing here though i don't have the chops for it i will hopefully play some representative and short.
ren

Postby MikeMason » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:35 am

How would you rate the quietness of the valves?
Pensacola Symphony
Troy University-adjunct tuba instructor
Wisemann 900c with original heavyweight bayamo
Yamaha yfb621 with original heavyweight manatuska
MikeMason
5 valves
5 valves

Postby bloke » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:39 am

' funny, isn't it, how many avant-garde tuba solo compositions include "rattle the valves" or "make valve noise" sections...??

Does it cause the faces of tuba players to grimace - just a bit - that this is possible with such a large percentage of tubas?
bloke

Postby the elephant » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:41 am

ren wrote:
the elephant wrote:Hungarian March?

Good ideas, but Im off orchestra excerpts for a while. Vocalises have kind of turned into slurring phrasing etudes with alot of opportunity to make music but not very challenging,
I would like to (if I can pull it off) make a video of something more solo-ish to show off the instrument since thats what I bought it for.

Michael Daugherty "Reflections on the Mississippi"?

By the way, I stand by my earlier post since you are speaking about testing the tuba and not yourself. And if you are not challenged by something I guarantee your standards are too low. Even playing half notes is a challenge to do *really* well.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby ren » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:22 pm

MikeMason wrote:How would you rate the quietness of the valves?

as far as i can tell they are as good as i would expect from a rotary valve tuba.
ren

PreviousNext

Return to TubeNet