Review of Blokepiece Symphony

The bulk of the musical talk
Rivercity Tuba
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Review of Blokepiece Symphony

Post by Rivercity Tuba »

russiantuba wrote:For the last several months, I have been trying to find a mouthpiece that fits a specific sound concept. I had been using a Stofer Geib, and though I was getting that sound concept, I felt like I was fighting it a bit. I tried several mouthpieces, and decided to give Joe a message, seeing what he had.I ended up getting a Blokepiece Solo with a larger throat (#2) with a rim extender. Though this gave me about 90% of what I was looking for, I went back to the charts and thought I would give the Symphony a try.

I had a Symphony that was on loan to one of my students the past few years, and he sounded great on it (only reason it was on loan was because I didn't feel it was a big enough difference from my Geib to change). I take some recordings in the hall, and after listening to them and getting feedback from colleagues, this was the mouthpiece I wanted, and surprisingly, it was not as deep as I originally thought.

I have played a few gigs on CC since obtaining this mouthpiece, and I have had several comments how there is a great amount of center, with good depth to the sound. I was wanting a bit more center and crispness. I am also impressed, from behind the bell, on how clear the articulations are, along with the general ease of playing. It is a very efficient mouthpiece and doesn't hog air.

In addition, some small things that don't make or break a mouthpiece for me...while my low C and 4th space G were quite flat, this mouthpiece has tamed the notes, and the overall tuning and tonal consistency between notes is great.

Joe isn't paying or compensating me in any way to make this post, but seriously, if you haven't given his mouthpieces a try, you should. I wish I had spent more time sooner with the symphony.
Joe's mouthpieces are absolutely top-notch. Joe is a very fine tuba player who can also offer advice and direction when purchasing a mouthpiece. His mouthpieces are not copies of other mouthpiece but are his own unique designs which he has determined work well through trial and error. Many fine players with good jobs use Blokepieces. I would encourage everyone to at least give Joe a call when searching for that elusive mouthpiece.
Worth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Worth »

The Symphony offers me the most control and focus of any MP I’ve tried. From behind the bell, a Bayamo or MF3H yields a more open, less constrained sound (capable of more volume), but very much at the expense of requiring more air and, for me, less predictable note centering. The Symphony is my go to piece.
2014 Wisemann 900 with Laskey 30H
~1980 Cerveny 4V CC Piggy
1935 Franz Schediwy BBb
1968 Conn 2J (thinking of selling)
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Any plan to still make some one piece brass mouthpieces, Joe?
Worth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Worth »

the elephant wrote: On my Holton 345 I use the original Sellmansberger Solo ONE-PIECE mouthpiece that Joe first showed to the Freak Jury years ago. It was one of the last ones left in his initial batch. I have never stopped using that mouthpiece on that tuba. It just works. In every way. Again, there is nothing else on the market that allows me to produce that tone.

To Bloke
You once suggested a similar deal for the W900 with a Solo set-up. Maybe with a Profundo rim? Can't remember what shank. You had reasons.....
1935 Franz Schediwy BBb
Worth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Worth »

*pauvog1* Thanks very much for the reference. Exactly what I was looking for and may try!
1935 Franz Schediwy BBb
Worth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Worth »

How.........
Effin..........
Cool