Denis Wick 3SL

The bulk of the musical talk
Johny
lurker
lurker

Denis Wick 3SL

Post by Johny »

Hi guys,
what is your opinion about Denis Wick 3Sl? I want it for solo playing on my F tuba. Is it good? Or what mouthpiece will you recommend?
Thanks
Tubaguyry
bugler
bugler

Re: Denis Wick 3SL

Post by Tubaguyry »

I love mine. I use a large F for everything (BMB F with the 18" bell). I love the response I get on this mouthpiece in all registers, and it doesn't get farty down low. I sometimes try to go back to some of my other mouthpieces, but the 3SL (Heritage style) is far superior for me. The difference is night and day.

For me.

I was actually surprised at how well this mouthpiece works. I had tried several Wicks years ago, and hated them all. I assume that it's because of the reshaping of the mouthpieces from the old, chunky style to the new style (Heritage.) The new thin rim is infinitely superior to the giant slab of metal on the old style.

As with any instrument/equipment, make an effort to try before you buy. This mouthpiece works great for me on my horn, but again -- it is a large, piston F that sounds like an actual tuba throughout its range. It may be that on a smaller rotary F (if that's what you happen to have) it might amplify the thin, farty non-tuba-ness of the sound in the low register that is endemic to rotary Fs. I dunno.

I'm not sure what part of the world you live in, but if you happen to be near Springfield, MO you are welcome to stop by and try my 3SL on your horn.

Good luck!
Ryan Rhodes
Springfield, MO

Big Mouth Brass J-445LQ F
JinBao 600S F
1919 Holton Eb
1964 Olds O-97 BBb sousaphone

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix
Johny
lurker
lurker

Post by Johny »

Thank you for your responses. My current mouthpiece is Perrantuci PT 20, but I only use it on my Bb tuba. I think it is mouthpiece for medium a low tones. I have old F tuba Amati and I want this Denis Wick for solo auditions and for more certainty in high register. And yes, before I will buy it, I will try it.
vespa50sp
bugler
bugler

Post by vespa50sp »

I use a Wick 3 Heritage in my old West German Eb rotary (it has the smaller British shank). The horn has a smaller bore. It really helped me lock in the problematic Bb and sounds nice throughout the range. Since I had such good luck, I might pick up a Wick 2L Heritage to try on my latest purchase, a Conn 12J. It also has a smaller bore and people recommend a Helleburg/Kellyburg type of mouthpiece that is medium-deep. The lower range was a little crappy for me with the Bach 18 that came with it.

When I stopped in a the Schmidt Music distribution center in Brooklyn Park, MN, I asked the "low brass expert" (a bass trombone guy) what the difference was between a Wick and a Schilke/Helleburg. He said that he felt that the narrower rim locked in well, but he could "slide around" better with a wider rim. I was a also a little surprised that a Schilke cost a bit more than a Helleburg, since I think technically the Schilke is a copy.

Anyhow, try them out and see what you and the horn like.
WC8KCY
3 valves
3 valves

Post by WC8KCY »

If you're willing to stay within the Perantucci line of MPs, I would give the PT-62 an audition--a somewhat shallow bowl mouthpiece, as mentioned above by pauvog1. I play the 62 with both of my E-flats for solo/soloistic orchestral playing and it is superb in terms of tonal clarity, efficiency, and very precise response. It was also excellent on the PT-16 F tuba that I test-played.