Just picked up my first tuba

The bulk of the musical talk
ccflyerguy
lurker
lurker

Just picked up my first tuba

Post by ccflyerguy »

Good morning to all! I'm a "returning player" after almost 50 years away from playing (six years playing sousaphones and an E-flat 3 valve upright in my middle school / high school band; section leader for the last two years).
Had been thinking about doing this for several years...and then karma/good luck struck. I was visiting a consignment shop in Houston while visiting family, and in the very back of the store I saw the gleam of "big brass". Went back there and found an orchestral four rotary valve tuba in excellent cosmetic condition with a really nice hard case and two Phillip Bach mouthpieces (the 16 and the 22).
It was a Dalyan Apollo CC...went on line immediately to check this out and found TubeNet. Got the basics from the threads dealing with Dalyans (Chinese, but apparently a cut above the normal POS products coming out of China up until then). Put a mouthpiece in and was able (even with my petrified embouchere) to produce some coherent notes. Valve action was smooth...slides were movable (needed grease), and the price was right. Took it up to checkout, and the cashier rang up the price, stopped, and asked "are you a senior citizen"? After getting a yes, she responded "you get an additional 20% off!" (karma strike #2). The resultant price was hugely surprising (in a positive way).
So I'm learning CC fingering and I've joined my local community band (has 3 BB-flat uprights; I'm the only CC). Had my tuba overhauled by Jeff Bonk in Lorton, VA...he did a superb job (including lapping the valve rotors...action is now smooth as silk). Joined TubeNet...all in all, I'm a happy camper.
One question...how many Dalyans are still around and in service? Don't see much on them in recent TubeNet posts...are they holding up well, 10 years + after sale? Just curious.
thanks, John
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Just picked up my first tuba

Post by Three Valves »

Cool!!

Good to know there is another shop option around DC. :tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Heavy_Metal »

Welcome back to the TUBA, John! I had a similar experience, but it was only 30 years away, and I still had the Sonora that we got when I was in high school. Be warned, though: Tubas tend to multiply for guys coming back, as my signature will show :shock:

Not sure if it's the same shop, but I had the valves on my Alex overhauled through Baltimore Brass, who sent them to someone near DC where the work was done. I'm quite happy with them.

Which band are you in?
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ace »

As far as I can determine, the Dalyan factory in icy-cold northern Dahlin, China (the salt water port freezes over in the winter) has been converted to the production of ball bearings for the Chinese military. Jonathan would probably have the latest information. I once played a Dalyan CC and thought it was pretty good. Woodwind and Brasswind carried these for awhile about twenty years ago, as did a large music company in Texas.

Ace
ccflyerguy
lurker
lurker

Post by ccflyerguy »

First - thanks for the responses!
One correction - the mouthpieces that came with the Dalyan were Vincent Bach 18 and 22s.
Two answers:
Frank: just joined the Mount Vernon Concert Band - a great group who gave me a warm welcome when I showed up. The tuba section, in particular, has been a trove of great information (including where to get the tuba checked over and repaired as needed).
Terry: looks like the Apollo retailed for $3900 in 2006, according to Dalyan's brochure (the Internet Wayback Machine is a wonderful thing...)
Two questions:
- the Apollo has a large (.825) bore - what mouthpiece might be better fitted to that (something like a Bach 12 or 7, maybe?))
- I have a digital tuner, and have been working to tune my new acquisition. Think I'm close, but the needle seems to wander the dial while I'm playing. Is this just my weak embouchure, or is this model difficult to tune over and above that?
thanks, John
jperry1466
bugler
bugler

Post by jperry1466 »

ccflyerguy wrote: - I have a digital tuner, and have been working to tune my new acquisition. Think I'm close, but the needle seems to wander the dial while I'm playing. Is this just my weak embouchure, or is this model difficult to tune over and above that?
thanks, John
Had the same problem returning to "serious" playing after a 44 year layoff to teach (all BBb tubas). Got my new Mack CC (also made by Jinbao) couple of weeks ago. After a few days, I put it to the digital tuner, and it was all over the place, mostly about a quarter step sharp on everything. A couple hours of practice every day and it has settled in nicely, and the panic went away. I would bet your situation is similar.
ccflyerguy
lurker
lurker

Post by ccflyerguy »

you're right - definitely me wavering.
ccflyerguy
lurker
lurker

Post by ccflyerguy »

I've read a lot of your posts, and your knowledge and experience are truly impressive (it was your post on Dalyans back in 2005 that convinced me to take a chance on buying it).

I really appreciate your advice...it was right on the money.

thanks, John
ccflyerguy
lurker
lurker

Post by ccflyerguy »

And here are a couple of pictures of the "blast from the past":
P1010271(1).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ccflyerguy on Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ccflyerguy
lurker
lurker

Post by ccflyerguy »

P1010270(1).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BrassedOn
bugler
bugler

Post by BrassedOn »

Wow, it's great to have you back in the fold, and with a better than average consignment shop horn!

From time to time, I add my horn to a New Horizons concert band. NH is like an over 50 y/o hobbiest organization. Some players are retirees picking up horns for the first time since high school, some picking up an instrument for the first time in their lives! My "stand mate" is a 93 y/o sousaphone player, who I think marched in college.

Your horn has some very familiar twists and turns, so I'm sure the CC tuba crowd can recommend some good modern standard mouthpieces. Is it patterned on a Miraphone 188? I still use a Bach on my sousa, and it just seems to match that horn in terms of cup and resistance. But you might chat with your brethren to see if anyone has a PT or something that suits your horn.
"Do less, better."
19xx? Blessing Sousaphone BBb
1970s King 3b Silver Sonic
1976 Fender Precision bass
ccflyerguy
lurker
lurker

Post by ccflyerguy »

According to the "historical documents" (several strings on Dalyan 12 years ago), the Apollo was variously described as being close to either a Miraphone 185 or a 186. The mouthpieces it came with (Vincent Bach 18 and 22) are pretty standard; but the Apollo has a very large bore (.825). VB recommended their 7 or 12 mouthpieces as more suitable for a large bore instrument.
Would be interested to hear from folks using those mouthpieces as to how they might work with the Apollo!
P1010272 (2).jpg