Good mouthpiece matches for YBB-621 and YBB-632?

The bulk of the musical talk
caroljantsch
pro musician
pro musician

Good mouthpiece matches for YBB-621 and YBB-632?

Post by caroljantsch »

Hi TubeNet! Long time no see.....

I have some students playing Yamaha BBb tubas, specifically a YBB-621S and a YBB-632S. I tried them both and wasn't convinced the mouthpieces that came with them (I think BB67?) are the best matches. Does anyone who plays either of these horns have mouthpiece recommendations for us? I'll probably get a few options and see which one works best for each kid.

Thanks for your help!
carol
Voisi1ev
bugler
bugler

Re: Good mouthpiece matches for YBB-621 and YBB-632?

Post by Voisi1ev »

caroljantsch wrote:Hi TubeNet! Long time no see.....

I have some students playing Yamaha BBb tubas, specifically a YBB-621S and a YBB-632S. I tried them both and wasn't convinced the mouthpieces that came with them (I think BB67?) are the best matches. Does anyone who plays either of these horns have mouthpiece recommendations for us? I'll probably get a few options and see which one works best for each kid.

Thanks for your help!
carol
Welp, I like a Baer on my 632. I found the horn not be particularly particular about mouthpieces.
Steginkt
bugler
bugler

Post by Steginkt »

Conn Helleberg and RT-48 tend to be my "square one" for finding a mouthpiece to work for an instrument. They can also tend to be found used cheaply.
Yamaha Xeno YSL-8820
Willson 3400 Eb
Lyon and Healy Sousaphone
5/4 Rudolf Meinl CC
Wessex trumpet
Wes Krygsman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Wes Krygsman »

I have heard through some reliable sources that many British brass band Bb bass players who use the larger horn you mentioned (or ones just like it) use a 24AW or Bach 18 just because of their ease of acquiring. Another popular mouthpiece is a Yamaha 67C4 for most of their B flat tubas.

I always start with a mouthpiece trial of "the standards" (Bach 18, Conn Helleberg, any brand Geib, Miraphone Tu23/C4, 24AW) and see which style seems to work best overall for the student, then we try all the variations and brands of the Helleberg or whatever other shape worked for them.

Good luck!
Wes Krygsman

Adjunct professor-Kean University
Freelance musician-NJ/NYC area & private lessons

Nirschl York 6/4 CC
Yamaha 821 F
Cerveny 601 Kaiser BBb
Yamaha Ybb 103 BBb
Conn 36k Fiberglass sousaphone BBb
eeflattuba
bugler
bugler

Post by eeflattuba »

I play a 632 in a british brass band in western canada and use a mike finn 3. Tried lots of other kinds of mouthpieces but the mike finn is the only one that works.
Patrase
bugler
bugler

Post by Patrase »

When I had a 632 I found that mouthpeices that worked well on my PT-6 (rotary) also worked well on the 632. I ended up using a Bruno Tilz M0. A pt 44 might also work for more all round playing. Most brass band players are playing in the low register so I would imagine that recommendations from Brass Band players will recommend mouthpieces that favour the lower register.
Miraphone Norwegian Star
Yamaha YBB-632 Bb Neo
fenne1ca
3 valves
3 valves

Post by fenne1ca »

I found a Schilke 66 to be a great fit for the 621, both CC and BBb.
Chris Fenner
1918 Keefer Eb
191? Keefer BBb Helicon