CC
50%

Total votes: 8

DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Quick opinion... to borrow CC or use F

Post by DouglasJB »

Okay guys, I just received a text asking me if I can come help play in a HS band on Tuesday. I recently downsized and have only been playing in small chamber ensembles and only own an F tuba. Granted playing the parts won't be too bad, buy as far as tone color would you guys try to borrow a CC or just play it all on F? I find out what pieces they are playing tomorrow afternoon, so stepping out of my comfort zone (CC and F) is not an option with no time to practice the parts.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Quick opinion... to borrow CC or use F

Post by bort »

^ What Joe said.

I wouldn't suggest bringing the F. They probably asked you to play, since there is an anemic low brass/bass sound. Be part of the solution and give them what they want!
Mark

Post by Mark »

pauvog1 wrote:Agreed, borrow one of their horns if you can.
I seriously doubt a HS band has a CC tuba.
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

^ What the others said. If you are comfortable and if the band has an extra BBb tuba, ask the band director to borrow it. If you only have access to a CC, borrow it. 'Cuz your little Kanstul F tuba will stick out sound-color-wise like a sore thumb in a school band :!:

I've done the same thing ("helped out" on tuba for school band, even though they have tuba players there) and try to bring one of my BBb tubas.
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DouglasJB »

Thanks everyone, A friend of mine is letting me borrow his CC. I didn't think the F would sound right, but I wanted a second opinion.
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

"Tone color" in high school band.... Good one. :lol: That would be the whole box of crayons, melted together.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Bringing the CC, he will set a better example.

I started typing that with humorous intent, but I'm not sure but what there might be some truth in it. Never played in high school band, even back in the day, so how would I know, but one must consider their impressionable young minds.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Doc wrote:You could always take one of their BBb's and show them how it should be played.
Yeah, that was in mind too - I believe bloke has written about doing this demo with a sousaphone out of the band room. One does take the risk though, that it really will be a stinker.
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

Doc wrote: A well-played (good sound, projection, in tune, on time, etc.) F tuba may sound smaller than a big CC, but certainly won't sound anemic or sound worse than high schoolers on their BBb's. I play my F in the school bands here on a weekly basis - it's the biggest, fullest, clearest, nicest sound in the section. (I ain't ALL THAT either.)
Keep telling yourself that, j/k :P Seriously, even smallish contrabass tubas played by high schoolers will have a density/thickness in sound -- particularly below the staff -- compared to a pro on F or even Eb tuba :!: I regularly "help out" at the college level to set a playing example, and I ain't "all that" either. Been doing it for years. I have also "helped out" at middle and high schools. I'd only use Eb or F if there are sufficient tubas covering the tuba part for a large band, or there are split/divided parts for tuba with the Eb or F playing the upper part. But if I am the only tuba or there are only 2 or 3 other tubas who are not 'strong', I will bring one of my BBb tubas for sure. Or when at the college level, I may bring my large CC tuba if I'm the only one. The reason for that: good sound balance and blend :idea:
jonesbrass
4 valves
4 valves

Post by jonesbrass »

Seriously? If you play well, it shouldn't matter.
Willson 3050S CC, Willson 3200S F, B&S PT-10, BMB 6/4 CC, 1922 Conn 86I
Gone but not forgotten:
Cerveny 681, Musica-Steyr F, Miraphone 188, Melton 45, Conn 2J, B&M 5520S CC, Shires Bass Trombone, Cerveny CFB-653-5IMX, St. Petersburg 202N
Peach
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Peach »

toobagrowl wrote:
Doc wrote: A well-played (good sound, projection, in tune, on time, etc.) F tuba may sound smaller than a big CC, but certainly won't sound anemic or sound worse than high schoolers on their BBb's. I play my F in the school bands here on a weekly basis - it's the biggest, fullest, clearest, nicest sound in the section. (I ain't ALL THAT either.)
Keep telling yourself that, j/k :P Seriously, even smallish contrabass tubas played by high schoolers will have a density/thickness in sound -- particularly below the staff -- compared to a pro on F or even Eb tuba :!:
Sorry, but that doesn't ring true in my experience. Thinking about some of the huge sounds I regularly hear on (large) 3+1 Eb tubas and even certain players on F, I'm fairly sure they'd blow the average high schooler on a Bb out of the water. I'm with Doc on this one.
Peach
jonesbrass
4 valves
4 valves

Post by jonesbrass »

Peach wrote:
toobagrowl wrote:
Keep telling yourself that, j/k :P Seriously, even smallish contrabass tubas played by high schoolers will have a density/thickness in sound -- particularly below the staff -- compared to a pro on F or even Eb tuba :!:
Sorry, but that doesn't ring true in my experience. Thinking about some of the huge sounds I regularly hear on (large) 3+1 Eb tubas and even certain players on F, I'm fairly sure they'd blow the average high schooler on a Bb out of the water. I'm with Doc on this one.
+1
Again, if played well, it shouldn't matter if you're playing on F, Eb, CC, or BBb.
Willson 3050S CC, Willson 3200S F, B&S PT-10, BMB 6/4 CC, 1922 Conn 86I
Gone but not forgotten:
Cerveny 681, Musica-Steyr F, Miraphone 188, Melton 45, Conn 2J, B&M 5520S CC, Shires Bass Trombone, Cerveny CFB-653-5IMX, St. Petersburg 202N