Paper mute?

The bulk of the musical talk
quesonegro
bugler
bugler

Paper mute?

Post by quesonegro »

I got asked today to bring a "paper mute" for the tuba...

I have no clue as to what that might be...

Can the hive mind that is this forum help?

Cheers

//Mattis
JasonEuphonium
bugler
bugler

Re: Paper mute?

Post by JasonEuphonium »

No clue. My first thought would be that perhaps they want something to muffle/dampen the sound of the tuba without changing the tone too much?

Definitely a weird request.
Mark Horne
bugler
bugler

Post by Mark Horne »

Wonder if they are thinking of a Humes and Berg "Stone Lined" with its somewhat paper mache look to it.
Alexander 163 CC 5V, MW Thor, Mel Culbertson Neptune, B&S Symphonie F 6V
BopEuph
pro musician
pro musician

Post by BopEuph »

Like Bloke said, possibly lost in translation at some point. Maybe someone said "straight mute," but someone down the line misheard it as "paper mute."

A couple years ago, I was called to do Phantom on bass, and I distinctly remember hearing "no C extension required for this show." I thought to myself that's a good thing, because I don't have one. I'm still not sure if I misheard the (trumpet player) contractor or if he misheard the requirement when he relayed the message to me, but it was clear that a C extension was required for this show when I received the advance book. Thankfully, Hipshot had just released a drop tuner for double bass not six months prior. $125 was a way better option than either spending $1500+ on a conversion, or having to give up the gig about two weeks out.
Nick
quesonegro
bugler
bugler

Post by quesonegro »

The request came from one of the best arrangers in the business, so translation issues are unlikely...
I’ll just have to get back to him.
Thanks

//Mattis
Doug Elliott
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Doug Elliott »

BopEuph wrote:A couple years ago, I was called to do Phantom on bass, and I distinctly remember hearing "no C extension required for this show." I thought to myself that's a good thing, because I don't have one. I'm still not sure if I misheard the (trumpet player) contractor or if he misheard the requirement when he relayed the message to me, but it was clear that a C extension was required for this show when I received the advance book. Thankfully, Hipshot had just released a drop tuner for double bass not six months prior. $125 was a way better option than either spending $1500+ on a conversion, or having to give up the gig about two weeks out.
"Low C extension" sounds a lot like "no C extension"

That Hipshot thing is very cool, never heard of it. I'm not a bass player but my wife is.
JCalkin
pro musician
pro musician

Post by JCalkin »

BopEuph wrote:Like Bloke said, possibly lost in translation at some point. Maybe someone said "straight mute," but someone down the line misheard it as "paper mute."
I was going to say that maybe what was meant was "fiber" mute, which could be an easy translation error to paper. I know Wick refers to their Humes & Berg Stonelined style of mute as a fiber mute.

....so.... straight mute?
Josh Calkin
Wayne State College
Low Brass/Bands
BopEuph
pro musician
pro musician

Post by BopEuph »

Doug Elliott wrote:
BopEuph wrote: That Hipshot thing is very cool, never heard of it. I'm not a bass player but my wife is.
I liked it so much, I got a second one for my A string. Going from C to A was too much shifting on a bass, so I can now tune the low two strings to C-G. The only downside is the higher G string goes flat in this configuration, so I need to avoid open strings--but I'm getting surprisingly very comfortable with this tuning option.
Nick
BrassedOn
bugler
bugler

Post by BrassedOn »

I'm more than smart @$$ enough to go in the garage and make a mute out of craft paper and sealing tape. Hmmmm. Probably going to need a tether. And if someone asks, I explain that this is a prototype.

I seem to recall a notable tubist just balancing a leather music folio in his bell rather than transit a gigantor tuba mute to offsite gigs.
"Do less, better."
19xx? Blessing Sousaphone BBb
1970s King 3b Silver Sonic
1976 Fender Precision bass
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

bloke wrote:
Someone almost wrote:It is only a paper mute
Sitting in a cardboard C.

bloke "who knows far too many lyrics to far to many songs...which - as some might guess - annoys Mrs. bloke"
That's a good one, bloke