Getting back in the Saddle: what horn to get?

The bulk of the musical talk
Paddywagon
lurker
lurker

Getting back in the Saddle: what horn to get?

Post by Paddywagon »

Fellas,

It's been nine years since I've played, and I'd like to get back in the saddle.

First, my background: I played a YBB-641 throughout high school, bought a Miraphone 186 CC when I headed off to college (intending to be a performance major, which didn't happen). Couple years later, I was no longer actively playing and sold my horn to pay bills due to several months of unemployment--big mistake! *facepalm*

So now fast forward nine years, I really miss playing tuba and would like to perhaps tryout for the Caltech-Occidental wind orchestra and maybe do quintet/small ensemble stuff too.

So my question is this: working with a low budget of $2,000-$3000, what model of horn should I get, CC or BBb, etc.?

My instinct would be to go with a Mack-TU410 CC, as it's closest to my previous horn, but perhaps there's a better horn (or key) for my purposes now that I'm just a hobbyist who most likely won't be backing large orchestras or doing solo work.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Getting back in the Saddle: what horn to get?

Post by Sousaswag »

You could go with a 186 clone. You could also find a used BBb 186 for around that budget. My recommendation would be a VMI 3301 or 3302 if you can find one. I played on the 5 valve 3302 before I bought my current CC and loved it. I'm not sure you'll find many CC tubas in your budget. Those VMI's can be had in the lower $3000 range.
Meinl Weston 5450RA Tuono
Willson 3200RZ-5
Paddywagon
lurker
lurker

Post by Paddywagon »

Thanks, Elephant!

Having been 9 years, I'm not sure whether the 4 years in high school on a BBb or the 2 years in college on CC will come naturally to me again--perhaps I'm a blank slate by now. I did love the feel and tone of the Miraphone 186 CC over the YBB-641 BBb, that I remember. As long as getting a CC is a good fit for the music I'd be playing, I'd probably prefer that route.
Paddywagon
lurker
lurker

Post by Paddywagon »

Tom pushed me to try the gold brass bell over the yellow, saying that I would definitely like this version in the orchestra more. It would not break up like a real 186 can do when pushed too much in a large group. The cost of this was a small loss of color in the tone, but I would be getting a real work horn in the bargain. So I agreed.
It was the right choice for me. I have since played several of the yellow brass 410 (from various sellers, all from about the same time period) and they all barked like a 186* at times. This horn could be pushed to perform up to snuff (for most things) in a medium-sized symphony orchestra or concert band. Everyone seems to really like it, too, and so do I.
If you are planning on playing mostly in smaller groups the yellow brass horn would be a good match. If you need more of the loud end of the spectrum then I would get the gold brass bell version. Gold brass tubas are NOT my cup of tea; they always seem to be dead or unresponsive. This is not the case with the 410 as only the bell is gold brass. The rest of the horn is normal yellow brass. This seems to work really well for me.
Thoughts on the all-Silver Mack 410?
BrassedOn
bugler
bugler

Post by BrassedOn »

I’d say many good used horns in that range.

I would think that deciding on a horn key first would help your decision process.
I would not worry about the getting back on CC after lo’ these many years. It’s not like you expect to be switching horns keys back and forth. And to me, the fingerings are the same on BBb and CC, first valve is a whole step, but different notes come out! but if you have a strong inclination to play classic jazz Dixieland, German band, and such, or be working on sousaphone at all, you might find Bb works well overall. But plenty o’ players do fine on C horns. For other small group like quintet, either can work well. I kind of preferred a 186ish CC for that. If you’re coming back for community band, Bb works well for lower grade literature. But people make both C and Bb horns work. And I would not hesitate about mixing the two in a section unless your in a brass band Eb and Bb. In the past, CC horns were viewed as a little more privledged in the used horn market, you might get a bargain on a Bb because no one is marketing it as a horn for college. But that gap is closing these days.

Whatever you do, be sure play the horn before you order even if you have to travel. Some horns also just fit your body better than others.

FWIW, Yam 641 vs a 186, I’d go 186. What you felt when you played it in the past is still true. IMHO.
"Do less, better."
19xx? Blessing Sousaphone BBb
1970s King 3b Silver Sonic
1976 Fender Precision bass
LibraryMark
bugler
bugler

Post by LibraryMark »

I've got a silver Mack 410 and overall it is a great deal. Tom gives great customer service. Like was said above, the valve ball joints will wear faster than you would expect. They are really tiny. I am working with him to get some spare parts so I can retrofit decent ball ends on mine. But other than that, it is a really nice horn for the money.

+1 on the Miraphone gig bag for the 410. High quality and fits like a glove. I thought the case that comes with the 410 was decent considering the price.

Having said that, I recently bought a VMI 3302 that I use much more often. Bought it from Sousaswag, a really nice guy right here on this forum, for $3,200. If you are going to be playing in a community band of any size, it's a much better fit (for me) than the 410.
VMI 3302 BBb
Mack Brass TU410S CC
John Packer JP377 Eb
3 King 2280 Euph's (you can never have too many)
JaxBen_20J
bugler
bugler

Post by JaxBen_20J »

I have the gold brass Mack 410 and it really is a great horn. I play in a community ensemble and it fits in just beautifully. Currently I've paired it with a PT-48 and I find it's about the perfect fit for me in getting the sound and response I like. It's absolutely a good horn if you're looking for casual to semi-serious regular playing.

The rotor bumpers that come with the horn are definitely mediocre - mine have been breaking one at a time for the last two months, but they are three years old, too.

For gig bags, I have the Protec Platinum bag and it's a fantastic bag - I leave the foam insert at the bottom bow and it fits in snug and perfectly, plus it's a side loading bag (which I prefer). The case that comes with the horn is...lacking. It's sitting in the attic where it shall remain forever unless someone wants to buy it...
k001k47
5 valves
5 valves

Post by k001k47 »

Piggy
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

Oink.