Badger State Instrument Repair Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Badger State Instrument Repair

Postby paulver » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:32 am

I have to go to the Chicago area for a family wedding next month, and will have some extra time to kill. Was thinking about taking my 1971 Miraphone 186 BBb up to Wisconsin to have the valves rebuilt or replaced..... as needed. Knowing that this will require some time to get accomplished AND another trip out that direction to pick it up, I'm still wanting to get this done. Anybody have any experience with this place? Also considering Baltimore Brass. Comments on both are welcomed.

I'm from western PA, and there's really no place close that I know of that does this work in house. They all send it out.
paulver
bugler
bugler

Re: Badger State Instrument Repair

Postby SousaWarrior9 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:14 pm

If you're looking in the Chicago area, check Dana Hofer.
"Some men are macho men. Others are Martin men."
Martin: Handcraft Mammoth Sousa, Mammoth Tuba, Indiana Tuba, Baritone, Committee Trombone, Handcraft Valve Bone, Indiana Trumpet
King Moster Eb
Custom Mini Tuba
Roth-Reynolds Cornet
SousaWarrior9
3 valves
3 valves

Postby bloke » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:22 pm

If your rotary valves are worn, a bearing rebuild may be all that would be required to satisfy you.

Otherwise (and there are some people very close to me who do ~good~ rotor rebuilding) the only absolutely completely satisfactory (to me) rotor "rebuild" is a complete replacement of the entire rotor assembly (casing and all).

Though (obviously) the USA labor (to replace those casings with new ones) is costly, you might be surprised how affordable genuine Miraphone complete rotor assemblies are to purchase from the factory.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator

Postby paulver » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:43 pm

A complete replacement is what I really want. Got a quote from Badger State and one other place. Badger is the winner so far.

Gotta strike while the iron is hot....... the wife have given the "Papal Blessing" to said tuba repairs!!!! Is even willing to make the second leg of the trip to Wisconsin if desired!!!
paulver
bugler
bugler

Postby tofu » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:33 am

I'm not familiar with Badger State - did they take over the old Allied Instrument Repair?

You don't say where you're going in the Chicago area, but honestly it would be easier and a bit less time to just go directly west across the state of Illinois and go to Lee Stofer - who is located just across the Mississippi river in Iowa just south of the Quad Cities. It's a nice drive versus the congestion going up to WI and Lee's shop is on his wife's family legacy farm. I know Lee and he does first rate work, will come up with creative solutions, is a very fine tuba player so he knows tubas very well and he knows Miraphones extremely well. As a matter of fact, Lee after he got out of the US Army Band overseas apprenticed in Germany with the very fine German custom tuba maker Rudolf Meinl and he knows Miraphones inside and out. He has done excellent work with my own Mirafones and you will be very happy with what he charges. It's a nice easy ride across IL to Lee's shop. Plus, Lee goes out to the DC Army Tuba conference in January most years and he could drop your horn off possibly or you for sure could pick it up from him at the conference in DC. Saves you a return trip maybe. If the Chicago Symphony Orchestra can trust York #1 & #2 to Lee you can feel very confident he will do a great job on your horn. He is a sponsor on this site and you can email him, but I would suggest calling him as the best way to contact him.
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Postby jpwell » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:49 am

Dana Hofer and Lee Stofer are both great to deal with. I have used them both. Excellent work!
jpwell
bugler
bugler

Postby paulver » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:42 pm

Called Lee earlier this afternoon and made arrangements to get my Miraphone serviced!! Thanks for the tip and info. Gonna make a mini vacation out of the trip to the family wedding and subsequent ride into Iowa.

Many thanks!!

Paul
paulver
bugler
bugler

Postby SousaWarrior9 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:20 pm

paulver wrote:Called Lee earlier this afternoon and made arrangements to get my Miraphone serviced!! Thanks for the tip and info. Gonna make a mini vacation out of the trip to the family wedding and subsequent ride into Iowa.

Many thanks!!

Paul

Good choice. Lee is the man! I've dealt with him several times for repairs and it's always been a great experience. Keep your ears open while you're there, too. The man is a walking library of tuba info.
"Some men are macho men. Others are Martin men."
Martin: Handcraft Mammoth Sousa, Mammoth Tuba, Indiana Tuba, Baritone, Committee Trombone, Handcraft Valve Bone, Indiana Trumpet
King Moster Eb
Custom Mini Tuba
Roth-Reynolds Cornet
SousaWarrior9
3 valves
3 valves

Return to TubeNet