The bulk of the musical talk
greenbean
Superfine Cases
Superfine Cases

Boris Grigoriev 50 vs 78

Post by greenbean »

50 Etudes for Tuba
78 Studies for Tuba

Anyone know how these Grigoriev etudes compare? Also, if you have a copy, how is the typesetting?...
-----
Tom Rice
http://www.superfinecases.com
Mirafone 184 BBb
B&M Marzan BBb
1974 Besson Eb
Mark E. Chachich
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Boris Grigoriev 50 vs 78

Post by Mark E. Chachich »

I have both the 50 and the 78 etudes by Grigoriev.

My opinions:
50 and 78 are similar but both are worth having
50 is not selected pieces from 78
I use both on a regular basis for practice (along with Arban, Blazevich, Tyrell and Rouchout).
I bought my copies at a music store in Columbia SC and I think that the typesetting is good (at least on my copies).

best,
Mark
Mark E. Chachich, Ph.D.
Principal Tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Life Member, Musicians' Association of Metropolitan Baltimore, A.F.M., Local 40-543
Life Member, ITEA
Mark E. Chachich
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Mark E. Chachich »

Typical Russian Etudes. Some lyric, and as you progress in the books rhythm, key signatures and leaps of notes. I think that these books are worth owning if for no other reason they give you another thing to practice that is worth while.

Mark
Mark E. Chachich, Ph.D.
Principal Tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Life Member, Musicians' Association of Metropolitan Baltimore, A.F.M., Local 40-543
Life Member, ITEA
macbil
bugler
bugler

Post by macbil »

They are both in the "Grigoriev 78 Studies" to which I have to say I have never paid much attention in the past . I'm a Blazhevich devotee and playing them , I found the Grigoriev studies dull,dull.dull until I saw on Tubenet a few years back that the audition list for the Vienna Philharmonic/Symphony (?)(one of the Vienna outfits) specified Grigoriev 50 as one of the audition pieces to be played on F tuba. Relishing the challenge ,I got the book out and had a proper look . Quite a surprise! I don't have an F tuba but I have a compensating EE flat so I got stuck in. It's playable OK but it's not easy. In fact ,it's a bit of a pig. It's a great exercise and if and when you nail it , it's very satisfying . There's a lot of cross fingering but good old fashioned hard work will pay off.
It did prompt me to have another look at the book but with one splendid exception , my initial impression was reinforced.
No 42 is a beauty! Melodic and low , it will take a sustained style of legato playing that will tax anyone to pull it off. It sounds like a Rachmaninoff song . I imagine George London singing when I play it.That's its style. It will lie nicely on a CC instrument. Trickier on a bass tuba.
I have never bothered with No 78. Looking at it again , I think it falls into the dull category so I'll stick to Blazhevich . Not that we should avoid playing dull music but sometimes as tuba players we can have enough of it. It's like certain medicines-- you have to take them because they do you good, just not too much of it.
Lots of Blazevich with some Kopprasch . A little Grigoriev-- not too much. That's a good diet for a tuba player. Not a complete one I know but you'll never starve on it.
greenbean
Superfine Cases
Superfine Cases

Post by greenbean »

Thanks to you both!
-----
Tom Rice
Mirafone 184 BBb
B&M Marzan BBb
1974 Besson Eb
greenbean
Superfine Cases
Superfine Cases

Post by greenbean »

Just an FYI...

The Grigoriev 50 Etudes will be out of print soon.

https://www.encoremupub.com/grigoriev-5 ... -for-tuba/" target="_blank
-----
Tom Rice
Mirafone 184 BBb
B&M Marzan BBb
1974 Besson Eb