Small EEb in Quintet?

The bulk of the musical talk
eupho
4 valves
4 valves

Small EEb in Quintet?

Post by eupho »

Hi All:

I know that the Yamaha 321 EEb is a great quintet horn. I almost bought one recently. Has anyone had success with a small 3 valve eeb such as a Besson 1077 or anything similar? Let's keep it inexpensive.
Thanks
2052sg Euphonium-
2110L BBb tuba
3/4 Conn Eb tuba
Southern Tier Concert Band(euph)]
Vestal(NY) Community Band(tuba)
Maine(NY) Community Band(conductor)
Steginkt
bugler
bugler

Re: Small EEb in Quintet?

Post by Steginkt »

Eb tuba works well in quintet because it is a bass tuba with a good extended lower register, which necessitates more than three valves. There are lots of options to work with out there. I would look at the Baltimore Brass website, it looks like there are two 4+1 horns priced under $2300
Yamaha Xeno YSL-8820
Willson 3400 Eb
Lyon and Healy Sousaphone
5/4 Rudolf Meinl CC
Wessex trumpet
eupho
4 valves
4 valves

Post by eupho »

Small EEbs also have decent false tones in the lower registerpossibly negating the need for a 4th valve, hence my inquiry.
2052sg Euphonium-
2110L BBb tuba
3/4 Conn Eb tuba
GeoffC_UK
bugler
bugler

Post by GeoffC_UK »

I had a very ancient Besson Eb (likely 1930s build) and used it in quintet work often.
It was a relatively inexpensive 'used' horn when I bought it. Guess $1k (mid-1990s).
Compression wasn't great and it was difficult to make it speak when playing quietly. Bit worn and leaky.
Hear demo which has a few rough spots in it: https://youtu.be/qK2Bbr9O-8I

More recent times, I play on a better quaity 'used' Eb 3+1. Guess about $2.5k (purchased 2020).
This blows extremely well for being almost 40 years old. Hear demo: https://youtu.be/KASsK-A4DH0 @ 8' 35" into video.
Nowadays, in quintet work, I play well-within myself, not playing too forcefully, just making a good noise with the Eb.
Works better in ensemble (when we get back to it, that is).
Your suggestion of a dinky-doo 3v Eb should work ok.
G
Yane
bugler
bugler

Post by Yane »

I like my imperial 4 valve compensator for quintet. I think a 3 valve would be rather limiting for low notes unless one is very facile with false tones.
David

King 1241, B&H Eb, Sterling Euph, King 1250
Lake Murray Symphony; Columbia Community Concert Band; Capitol Brass; Die Lustigen Muzikanten; Seed and Feed Marching Abominable
West Columbia, SC
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hup_d_dup »

I regularly play Eb tuba in several quintets. Occasionally my go-to horn is in the shop and I will play on a small Courtois Eb. The tuba is fine and I wouldn't be concerned if I had to use it in a concert.

However the Courtois is a 4 valve horn. With a three valve tuba you will have to make some allowances for the low register: some notes with be sharp and other will not be available at all. But I think you can still be successful with a small 3 valve horn, assuming it's a decent horn to begin with.

Hup
Do you really need Facebook?
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

Once you get the ergonomics worked out, 3+1 can be the bomb for chamber work. A lot of the British guys will have a metal ball placed just to the player's right side of the tuba's very bottom. That keeps it from wanting to tip further in that direction. I've never tried it, but it makes a lot of sense.
Yane
bugler
bugler

Post by Yane »

Regarding ergonomics of small Ebs, I use some grippy shelf liner in my lap to help keep the horn in place, makes holding the horn less work.
David

King 1241, B&H Eb, Sterling Euph, King 1250
Lake Murray Symphony; Columbia Community Concert Band; Capitol Brass; Die Lustigen Muzikanten; Seed and Feed Marching Abominable
West Columbia, SC
Steginkt
bugler
bugler

Post by Steginkt »

eupho wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:30 pm Small EEbs also have decent false tones in the lower registerpossibly negating the need for a 4th valve, hence my inquiry.
Technically, yes, they do. But I do not think this is a good strategy for endearing yourself to your playing community. If you really don't want to play with more than three valves, a small Bb tuba would probably be better because it has a real low range.
Yamaha Xeno YSL-8820
Willson 3400 Eb
Lyon and Healy Sousaphone
5/4 Rudolf Meinl CC
Wessex trumpet
eupho
4 valves
4 valves

Post by eupho »

my initial question was intended to be a yes or no. I have played all forms of tubas and euphoniums over my time. I was just considering a less expensive and heavy option than a Norwegian Star. a good large compensator or a good F. Thanks to all for responses.
2052sg Euphonium-
2110L BBb tuba
3/4 Conn Eb tuba
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Post by opus37 »

I've played Eb for many years. I use one in quintet in church. The answer to this question stems from what music are you going to play. I find that most of the church quintet music I play these days goes down below the B below the staff. With a 3 valve horn you are now into false tones. I found those tones to be hard to hit accurately fast and sound funky when you are playing sustained tones. I believe a 3 valve horn is not your best choice for quintet. You can get away with it in community band, but not in quintet or quartet work.
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Post by hup_d_dup »

eupho wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:26 pm my initial question was intended to be a yes or no.
Now that you know the limitations, I will re-emphasize my answer, which was yes. So what if the low range of the horn is limited? There aren't that many of those unreachable notes that you have to play . . . and when you do, play them an octave up. You will still be playing low notes.

Hup
Do you really need Facebook?
peter birch
4 valves
4 valves

Post by peter birch »

eupho wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:26 pm my initial question was intended to be a yes or no.
In that case the answer is no, not least because the trumpet, horn and trombone players don’t bring smaller instruments to the quintet.
Balance is not a function of the size of the tuba, and I’m sure that a player could be as much a nuisance with a small tuba as a bigger one
courtois 181 EEb
PT24+