Help Identifying this W. Meinl Weston Tuba

The bulk of the musical talk
euph1ium
lurker
lurker

Help Identifying this W. Meinl Weston Tuba

Post by euph1ium »

I purchased this several years ago as a school trade from the music store I work for. It is old...my guess is a 1970s horn. It is in good working order and plays very well for how old it is. The rotors' linkage is fairly noisy, but likely that way due to age and wear.

The bell has a silver tone ring and is engraved W. Meinl Weston. There is a serial number engraved on the 2nd rotor outer casing A2028. Made in Germany is engraved on the mouthpipe receiver.

This Tuba is in Bb, has 4 rotors, the linkage is curved and barbed rather than straight like the newer Meinls. There is no Getzen engraving anywhere on the instrument.

My guess is it's an old Model 20, but the layout of the tubing is different from the Model 20s that come up with a Google search.

Any ideas? Here is a poor quality picture since I can't upload anything over 150kb!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matt Walters
The Tuba Whisperer
The Tuba Whisperer

Re: Help Identifying this W. Meinl Weston Tuba

Post by Matt Walters »

It is a Meinl Weston 20 if it has the 16.5" diameter bell flair. Older versions had the 4th valve slide in the back of the horn instead of the front. Also, you could special order the tuba with nickel silver bell garland.
If the bell flair measures 17.75", you would have an older version of a Meinl Weston 25.
Matt Walters
Last chair tubist
Who Cares What Ensemble
Owns old tubas that play better than what you have.
euph1ium
lurker
lurker

Re: Help Identifying this W. Meinl Weston Tuba

Post by euph1ium »

Based on bell measurement, it has to be an older Model 20. The bell rim has been damaged and is quite dished in 3 places, so the measurement I'm getting is not entirely accurate, but it's definitely not a 17.75" bell.

Thanks for the info!