Condensation in the Mouthpiece

The bulk of the musical talk
TubaofGilman
bugler
bugler

Condensation in the Mouthpiece

Post by TubaofGilman »

Okay tuba players, I am having an embarrassing problem. Whenever I’m playing or practicing
I keep having to wipe out my mouthpiece because of a built up of moisture. Probably every 10 minutes.
What am I doing wrong?
Mack Brass 410 CC and St. Petersburg 3v Eb
Easy Mac
bugler
bugler

Re: Condensation in the Mouthpiece

Post by Easy Mac »

Not a thing.
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

It means you have proper breath support. I have to empty frequently as well. Carry on!
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

Easy Mac wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:40 pm Not a thing.

👍
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Mcordon1
bugler
bugler

Post by Mcordon1 »

TubaofGilman wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:11 pm Okay tuba players, I am having an embarrassing problem. Whenever I’m playing or practicing
I keep having to wipe out my mouthpiece because of a built up of moisture. Probably every 10 minutes.
What am I doing wrong?
Might not be anything wrong. Keep a rag handy...too much or too little can affect articulation...also try tilting your horn forward in your lap, drains towards the leadpipe.
~Oregon~
TubaBeage
bugler
bugler

Post by TubaBeage »

It can be annoying when you snatch a quick breath, imbibe the mixer causing a chocking fit.
TubaofGilman
bugler
bugler

Post by TubaofGilman »

Thank you.
Mack Brass 410 CC and St. Petersburg 3v Eb
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

Tubas rule. And some of us also drule. It's why I always have a handkerchief or towel with me.
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Art Hovey »

It means that your mouthpiece receiver is nearly horizontal. I prefer to blow downhill, as most other brass players do. That way most of the water goes down to my water key. Most tuba manufacturers seem to believe that we don't like that, and insist on a nearly-horizontal mouthpiece orientation.
timothy42b
3 valves
3 valves

Post by timothy42b »

I think some of it is condensation and some is saliva.

The reason I think that is the scale that builds up. It seems to me condensation would not contain any calcium or magnesium and not scale, but obviously scale happens, so it must come from us.

I don't know how you would tell the percentage of condensation vs saliva. I suspect the low range of tuba contributes to a larger aperture and more saliva entering than something like trumpet or French horn.
TubaBeage
bugler
bugler

Post by TubaBeage »

Art Hovey wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:56 am It means that your mouthpiece receiver is nearly horizontal. I prefer to blow downhill, as most other brass players do. That way most of the water goes down to my water key. Most tuba manufacturers seem to believe that we don't like that, and insist on a nearly-horizontal mouthpiece orientation.
If you have a bowl shaped cup then the orientation of the lead pipe is not so relevant as water runs down hill, both ways.
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Art Hovey »

Not so much when you are blowing. Another advantage of a downhill receiver becomes apparent when you play on risers. Seeing the conductor becomes difficult if your leadpipe is in the way.
TubaBeage
bugler
bugler

Post by TubaBeage »

Art Hovey wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:12 am Not so much when you are blowing. Another advantage of a downhill receiver becomes apparent when you play on risers. Seeing the conductor becomes difficult if your leadpipe is in the way.
I thought the air steam was concentrated in the centre of the MP?
Who ever looks at the conductor?? :roll: